IGNORED

Is Mormonism a Cult?

O Latin

There was plenty I was willing to look past if I felt fulfilled and happy and like I was doing the right thing but I was just getting more and more depressed and I never gained a testimony of the church or the Book of Mormon, despite years of deeply sincere prayers. I was tired of feeling like I had to be a clone instead my real self, like I wasn't worthy or faithful enough if I questioned ANYTHING. I didn't find out about all the Masonry, the lies, the bad history until after I decided I wanted out.

Bottom line: Unfulfilled promises that left me with zero self-esteem and self-worth.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never gotten why Mormons in the US and Canada have to wait a year if they were married in a civil ceremony first but those in countries where the civil and religious marriage have to be separate do not have to wait a year. Boggles my mind.

I always thought that was a Utah thing. But, I think its the reverse of what you are saying. People in Utah have to wait a year after their temple marriage before they have a civil ceremony. My uncle was not able to attend the temple marriage of his daughter. His daughter had to wait a full year before having a civil ceremony for family and friends who were no of the faith.

experiencedd wrote:

On her 30th BD she got to pick her meal, tuna casserole and orange carrot jello salad. That's a pretty damn Mormon menu.

I'd rather eat TTC with the Duggar's.

I always thought that was a Utah thing. But, I think its the reverse of what you are saying. People in Utah have to wait a year after their temple marriage before they have a civil ceremony. My uncle was not able to attend the temple marriage of his daughter. His daughter had to wait a full year before having a civil ceremony for family and friends who were no of the faith.

No, it is not a Utah thing. There is no different policy for different states. Church rules state that if you are married and it is NOT in the temple, you MUST wait one year to be sealed in the temple. I know this to be fact, I am a former Mormon, and this happened in my immediate family. Mormons are permitted to have a 'ring ceremony' in a chapel (not the same as the temple) to exchange rings, which is open to all who wish to attend. There is no rule that states how long you have to wait before doing the ring ceremony, but there are guidelines as to what can be said in the ceremony (no traditional wedding ceremony language).

Archived