IGNORED

Australian Prime Minister Speech About Misogyny

luckystone

Eh, I'm a redhead (not especially wild or unique in my style) and I live near one of the city's main roads. The dregs come in from the suburbs and love to yell out things, particularly sexual, to me at the same time as they make fun of my hair.

Yes, I get it, fanta pants, red headed rat r*, very funny.

I'm not sure what it is, but I know my hair hasn't gotten any redder in the past few years. What has happened, though, is that talk radio and the gutter press have become more vile and misogynistic, which seems to be reflected in the insults I receive on a regular basis. It frustrates me that a large percentage of Australians receive their news almost exclusively from trash tv and shock jocks. What's the point of treating other people, particularly women and minorities, like human beings when you're being told that to do so is weak and unaustralian?

Wankers.

I take your point.

Alan Jones suggested we should take Julia Gillard out to sea in a chaff bag and drown her.

I suggest if we put Tony Abbott and Alan Jones in a sack and hit them with a stick we'd always be hitting the right one.

Sorry to be Inciting violence :naughty:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I live in Melbourne. We don't bat an eyelid at tatts, imaginative hair,peircings, earlobe plugs, transgender clothing etc. it's a normal part of everyday life. I'm suprised it's an issue in Sydney and I'm sorry that you've born the brunt of people's judgement.

Queenslander perspective: I've never spent an extended amount of time in Melbourne, but I remember hearing that everyone is cold and judgmental there, and that has never been my experience. I've been impressed by how friendly people are in Melbourne.

I'd like to run with your idea, and then throw into the sack the finest creepy crawlies this continent has to offer.

We should be proud of our native fauna and take every opportunity to showcase its beauty to the world.

It's totally ok because I'm not saying we should kill the two horrible creatures, no no, I'm just saying that they should be punished for their lies and poor choice in swimwear. They can always stumble off to hospital after they're let out of the sack and before the venom kicks in, right?

See? I'm not inciting violence either.

I'm very interested in Australian politics/culture and sometimes watch BCS Q and A. There was an episode where Lenny Henry was a guest and they were talking about racism, and a member of the audience said that at a football game in Queensland racial slurs were being shouted at black players. Would you say that's common? I've heard that people like to joke about political correctness but that seems seriously over the line.

I'm very interested in Australian politics/culture and sometimes watch BCS Q and A. There was an episode where Lenny Henry was a guest and they were talking about racism, and a member of the audience said that at a football game in Queensland racial slurs were being shouted at black players. Would you say that's common? I've heard that people like to joke about political correctness but that seems seriously over the line.

It's illegal to make racial comments in sporting games in Australia. There are fines and consequences.

Thanks. I hope they were called on it. Would you say that political correctness isn't taken very seriously in certain areas?

I'm surprised at the outrage over the carbon tax. I thought climate change was a given. It seems to me that a lot of people just hate Julia Gillard because she's a woman and nothing else. Depressing.

Here is a good article about what Julia Gillard faces (I didn't know the extent of it until I read this): http://annesummers.com.au/speeches/her- ... k-r-rated/

The fallout seems to be mixed, like I said the Australian media has been annoyingly negative, but the video has been so watched and everyone I know is pleased about it. (Okay. My social circles and even work circles are biased, and I live in a very left-voting place.) In general, I find Australia quite tough on racism.

I have never heard about racist comments in football games, but I don't watch football. I'd be surprised if that was a serious problem. Non-white football players are definitely not unusual, I'd say overrepresented in fact.

I think the outrage over the carbon tax was indeed because she was a woman. Well, they said it was because she changed her mind on it, but John Howard did that with the GST and got re-elected multiple times.

Eh, I'm a redhead (not especially wild or unique in my style) and I live near one of the city's main roads. The dregs come in from the suburbs and love to yell out things, particularly sexual, to me at the same time as they make fun of my hair.

Yes, I get it, fanta pants, red headed rat r*, very funny.

I'm not sure what it is, but I know my hair hasn't gotten any redder in the past few years. What has happened, though, is that talk radio and the gutter press have become more vile and misogynistic, which seems to be reflected in the insults I receive on a regular basis. It frustrates me that a large percentage of Australians receive their news almost exclusively from trash tv and shock jocks. What's the point of treating other people, particularly women and minorities, like human beings when you're being told that to do so is weak and unaustralian?

Wankers.

Wow, maybe that's a Sydney thing?! Admittedly I don't have red hair but I have NEVER been yelled at in public. I think I've been whistled twice in my 10 years of living in a womanly body. None of my friends have reported it as a problem either.

It's interesting how all of us Australians here have vastly different experiences. I had always heard stories on the internet about women being yelled at by men and thought it was a non-Australian thing. Maybe I just need to go to another part of the country though...or change my hair colour.

Wow, maybe that's a Sydney thing?! Admittedly I don't have red hair but I have NEVER been yelled at in public. I think I've been whistled twice in my 10 years of living in a womanly body. None of my friends have reported it as a problem either.

It's interesting how all of us Australians here have vastly different experiences. I had always heard stories on the internet about women being yelled at by men and thought it was a non-Australian thing. Maybe I just need to go to another part of the country though...or change my hair colour.

It's a living in a suburb with a main road which brings in people from the outer burbs thing. I usually don't talk about it because I don't want to be seen to be whining and, surprise, surprise, it only happens to me while I'm on my own so people are going to go 'eh, really? we've been with you on ____ rd plenty of times and no one's said anything'. The people yelling out these things are the same ones who yelled at me when I was overweight and the same ones who participated in (or cheered on the participants of) the Cronulla Riots. Often young, male, low income, low skilled, minimal education, etc, etc. Prime News Ltd. and (and for the older ones) shockjock fodder. I've lived around the city my entire life, including several years in the seedier parts, and it's only recently that things have gotten this bad.

I've no doubt there are plenty of people who don't experience this treatment, but for those of us who are visibly 'different', it's often a rather unpleasant reality. My ex notices it when he's back in the country (facial features are rather ambiguous and dark, and in the mind of every feral here he's an evil Muslim despite, you know, not being one), making him less inclined to want to return here for good. Which is ok, I guess, since he's not a miner or a little ozzie battler.

Oh. Yeah I wouldn't like to live there. I guess it's very variable.

In terms of the media - I guess the majority of people in most countries go for the crappy, lowbrow, reactionary media. Look at the popularity of those terrible tabloids in the UK.

As much as our politicians (in Canada) act like loudmouthed little children sometimes in parliament, I haven't heard very much of this sort of sexist comments from them. Just the odd big-mouth that lets something slip, and then ends up publicly apologizing.

Not to threadjack, but Canada has lots of recent political misogyny.

Sheila Copps got told to "quiet down, baby" and called a bitch and slut.

Alexa McDonough got told to "stick with her knitting".

Olivia Chow got compared to a chowchow dog.

Belinda Stronach got called a dog, a dipstick, and "whored herself out" by crossing the floor.

In general, I find Australia quite tough on racism.

Do you really? (No snark, genuine question.)

I'm American but have lived in Australia for 10+ years, and honestly even after this long, I still find the level of overt, casual racism here absolutely breathtaking. Not among my immediate circle friends per sae, but I would say the Australian population in general is very accepting of quite blatant racism. Or did you mean just legally tough?

Back on topic - I thought Gillard's speech kicked ass, and agreed with some of the earlier comments about how many misogynistic comments I've heard about her from both men and women. It's quite sad.

There are a lot of things I love about my adopted country (holla for universal health care! :dance: ) but the attitudes toward non-whites and women have a lot to be desired.

Queenslander perspective: I've never spent an extended amount of time in Melbourne, but I remember hearing that everyone is cold and judgmental there, and that has never been my experience. I've been impressed by how friendly people are in Melbourne.

Wow, I'm surprised by that. I moved to Melbourne 18 months ago because of the warmth of the people as well as the lack of warmth of the weather. :) there are certainly people here who are less than pleasant, but as a whole I feel there is a great sense of community and general friendliness. Then again, that's in comparison to Perth, so maybe I just have low expectations.

Do you really? (No snark, genuine question.)

I'm American but have lived in Australia for 10+ years, and honestly even after this long, I still find the level of overt, casual racism here absolutely breathtaking. Not among my immediate circle friends per sae, but I would say the Australian population in general is very accepting of quite blatant racism. Or did you mean just legally tough?

Are you in Queensland? ;)

I really haven't noticed it, though I am in the majority and as mentioned, I seem to live in a tolerant (and diverse) part of the country. Also I haven't lived in another country. but I'd say I notice misogyny on a weekly basis at least in the media, but not racism. It's far less often and there is usually an outcry (like with the Andrew Bolt thing, for a recent example)

I have heard bad stories from friends in Queensland and also some rural areas.

rock_girl, it's interesting to hear you get heckled for being a redhead. I'm naturally a brunette but my hair is dyed a natural-looking red and I've never once heard a single person comment on it apart from the head stylist at my salon saying in surprise 'That's not your natural colour?'

I think Australia is really laid-back with racism too. I don't think people always necessarily mean to be racist, but when they are they tend to get away with it because people are more likely to laugh it off than to dress you down for it.

There is so much casual racism. I was mortified when my stupid cousin called a Chinese meal 'Ching-chong food'. People are incredibly rude about Aboriginal people in everyday conversation (so many petrol-sniffing jokes). At the cricket, people will hurl racial slurs at the fans from whatever countries we happen to be playing that series. You just wouldn't hear people talk like that anywhere else. here, if you call people on it they basically tell you it's just a joke and you have no sense of humour - I've been on the receiving end of that 'argument' more than once.

The casual sexism is appalling, too. There's a certain area of Adelaide Oval where if you happen to be a young female walking by during the cricket, the men will hold up score signs rating you as you walk past. Guys will make comments loud comments about the physical appearance of girls in pubs and too many women seem to LIKE it. A lot of girls dress up just to be 'scored' at Adelaide Oval, which is pathetic and kind of scary.

All that said, Adelaide is a much 'nicer' city than many others. More often than not, men and women alike will hold the door open for you if you're passing through the same doorway, just as a courtesy. The other day I saw an elderly man standing in the middle of Rundle Mall looking confused and a young woman went up to him and said "Sir, do you need help?". I see people help mothers with strollers get onto the bus and give up their seats for elderly people. That kind of thing happens all the time here, and I'm proud of that. I just wish the sexism and racism - and the two so often come out of the same mouths - would improve.

I am really afraid of Mr. Budgie Smugglers winning the next election. I never vote liberal/labor, but I am seriously considering voting labor next election... especially since my third party votes always default to labor anyway. Would you guys consider forsaking your political party (if it's not already labor) to give Julia support?

luckystone - I'm in country NSW at the moment, although I've lived all over. The only major cities I haven't visited/lived in are Melbourne and Perth, but otherwise it seems pretty much the same everywhere I go (although Alice Springs and Darwin were the worst - the NT in general is awful for both misogyny and racism).

I've had many experiences like Vex described, with people being incredibly rude about other ethnicities (especially Indigenous people) and like Vex said, you get the "Oh it's just a joke, you're uptight!" response if you call them out on it. Or the infamous, "I'm not racist, BUT..."

I'm also surprised at how many Aussie women seem to take loud, really sexist comments about appearance as big compliments. I know there are plenty of decent Aussie guys out there who don't do that (I married one!) so maybe the asses are just the most vocal and noticeable, but I do think it's a pretty hefty percentage of the population.

Vex - hmmm I might. I usually vote Greens, but I'm not 100% diehard committed to them, you know?

luckystone - I'm in country NSW at the moment, although I've lived all over. The only major cities I haven't visited/lived in are Melbourne and Perth, but otherwise it seems pretty much the same everywhere I go (although Alice Springs and Darwin were the worst - the NT in general is awful for both misogyny and racism).

I've had many experiences like Vex described, with people being incredibly rude about other ethnicities (especially Indigenous people) and like Vex said, you get the "Oh it's just a joke, you're uptight!" response if you call them out on it. Or the infamous, "I'm not racist, BUT..."

I'm also surprised at how many Aussie women seem to take loud, really sexist comments about appearance as big compliments. I know there are plenty of decent Aussie guys out there who don't do that (I married one!) so maybe the asses are just the most vocal and noticeable, but I do think it's a pretty hefty percentage of the population.

Vex - hmmm I might. I usually vote Greens, but I'm not 100% diehard committed to them, you know?

I am a Canadian who has been in Australia for 6 years and I have had the same experience as you. The overt and casual racism is eye-opening, as is the sexism. I've lived in both Melbourne and Perth (where I currently am) and it is ridiculous. Even in my post grad university classes it is quite open (and not just from students, but professors as well. I had one, granted she's American, older, and from the South who said, in a mocking tone: 'But what do I know, I am just a genteel White (sic) lady, what would I know of the plight of coloureds (sic)). I nearly fell off of my chair for that one. I can't even count the number of times I've encountered overt and benevolent sexism, and people seem to think it is ok, or at least tolerable.

I am in no way saying that these things do not exist in Canada. They do, and on a large scale. It is just that I, even being from the largest city, and having lived in small communities, have never really experienced anything quite like this (other than seeing the KKK in a Canada Day parade in Airdrie, Alberta...but that is Alberta and they are fucking nutjobs...sorry to any Albertans out there).

Yes, I'm Greens too. They're one of the only parties to want to legalise gay marriage and adoption, and they're into renewable energy. I know that the votes I cast wind up counting for Labor - I bother voting for the Greens because I want the government to know I support their policies so they hopefully implement some of them - so for once I might just skip that step and show direct support for Julia's government. It's not perfect, but no way do I want a sexist ignoramus to be my PM.

I lived in country NSW for a couple of months (technically, rural NSW), and the small town I was in was LOVELY. I would have happily stayed there if not for the situation that popped up. The people were so friendly, the population was diverse - there were Muslim ladies in full chador walking around and there was a LGBT hangout - and the town itself was beautiful. It even snowed in winter! If I didn't live in Adelaide, I would want to live there.

I'm glad to hear other women have noticed the girls who take sexist comments as compliments. It happens ALL the time and it never stops surprising me. Once a guy at a bar looked over at me, smiled, and told me 'Nice rack!' and looked positively astonished when I told him to piss off. He really looked like he expected a smile and a 'Thanks!'. It was the same tone you would use if you were telling someone you liked their hair or something. I really believe that people are afraid of speaking up against sexism and racism because being able to laugh at yourself and being laid-back are such treasured Australian traits that people don't want to risk being told they're not fun or that they're bringing the group down, or that they're - horror of horrors - politically correct!

It says an awful lot that when the Gold Coast police banned women from flashing their boobs during a daytime racing event, the papers and radio stations called it "UnAustralian".

Tony is wayyy tooooo outspoken about religion & from what I have heard, he was talking about his daughters when me made the infamous 'precious gift' statement. I'm sure they were thrilled about that one.

That said, I always vote Liberal.

I've always lived in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, I don't really go to any other parts of the city apart from Fitzroy, St Kilda & the CBD. The racism & sexism isn't something I encounter very often.

Yes, I'm Greens too. They're one of the only parties to want to legalise gay marriage and adoption, and they're into renewable energy. I know that the votes I cast wind up counting for Labor - I bother voting for the Greens because I want the government to know I support their policies so they hopefully implement some of them - so for once I might just skip that step and show direct support for Julia's government. It's not perfect, but no way do I want a sexist ignoramus to be my PM.

I lived in country NSW for a couple of months (technically, rural NSW), and the small town I was in was LOVELY. I would have happily stayed there if not for the situation that popped up. The people were so friendly, the population was diverse - there were Muslim ladies in full chador walking around t And there was a LGBT hangout and the town itself was beautiful. It even snowed in winter! If I didn't live in Adelaide, I would want to live there.

I'm glad to hear other women have noticed the girls who take sexist comments as compliments. It happens ALL the time and it never stops surprising me. Once a guy at a bar looked over at me, smiled, and told me 'Nice rack!' and looked positively astonished when I told him to piss off. He really looked like he expected a smile and a 'Thanks!'. It was the same tone you would use if you were telling someone you liked their hair or something. I really believe that people are afraid of speaking up against sexism and racism because being able to laugh at yourself and being laid-back are such treasured Australian traits that people don't want to risk being told they're not fun or that they're bringing the group down, or that they're - horror of horrors - politically correct!

It says an awful lot that when the Gold Coast police banned women from flashing their boobs during a daytime racing event, the papers and radio stations called it "UnAustralian".

You say that like it's a good thing. Do you seriously think their daughters will be better off than the Duggar girls. Fundies are fundies no matter what side of the globe they come from and it's NOT a good thing.

Just to make it clear where I'm coming from.

It's excellent that you can tell a bloke who is admiring your rack to piss off.

I'm not sure we will have that luxury if fundies gain political clout in our country, our world. The Exclusive Bretheran gave a lot of cash to John Howard. They won't be the last fundies Christian, Muslim, CO$, whatever to influence our political climate. I don't want any of them to gain muscle culturally or politically.

rock_girl, it's interesting to hear you get heckled for being a redhead. I'm naturally a brunette but my hair is dyed a natural-looking red and I've never once heard a single person comment on it apart from the head stylist at my salon saying in surprise 'That's not your natural colour?'

A lot of it depends on location. When I'm in my cushy suburb with its great shops and pierced, tattooed, openly gay without any drama residents things are fine. When I visit friends in their similar suburbs, things are also fine. However, if I walk along the main road bordering my suburb the comments start. If I go out for drinks in Darlinghurst the comments start. This is going to make me sound like a classist arsehole, but the unifying theme here is that the men who make these comments are very obviously from the outer suburbs, and if I had to guess I'd say they'd be lucky to be scraping a living as unskilled labourers. This is only a recent thing, too. We left our farm when I was quite young and I've been in the city ever since. I've had plenty of people poke fun at my hair over the years, but it's the yelling insults from cars in broad daylight, or having a group of drunk ferals asking me if the carpets match the curtains when I'm on my way home from dinner that makes me wonder if there's something bigger at play. Go back five years when I was living in Darlo and there was a much more relaxed atmosphere. Heck, I used to get up at 4 to go for a run, wave hello at the boozy clubbers outside my door and not feel at all unsafe. Now all I have to do is is walk along my old street on Saturday after 9pm and I'm pretty much guaranteed unwanted attention.

Possibly this culture has always existed, and I've been pretty well insulated in my inner city bubble, but I do have to wonder what it is that's bringing it to a formerly pleasant little patch of Sydney.

I have to say I cringe when I see any woman covered up. Muslim fundies irritate me just as much as Christian fundies. The Christian ones worry me more since Muslims are so reviled that it'll be a long time before they've any political influence, but I pity their poor covered up daughters.

At least until they get to breeding age. I think I've made it very clear how I feel about fundies producing more soldiers for their gods :lol:.

I have to say that the casual attitude I've seen towards Aboriginals really upsets me. People seem to think they're a nuisense or just a joke. Are they forgetting that their culture was wiped out, their children stolen and their entire country was taken from them? And people get angry that they don't want to do what a white government tells them to do and, ironically, get mad about immigration.

I've never lived in Australia but this is what I have observed from the media.

rock_girl I'm the same re coverings, especially on children. With an adult I'll assume it's her choice (even though it's probably not).

The comments about Australia being racist/sexist seem to come from Canadians! That makes me even more keen to visit Canada if it is even better than Australia. I've always wanted to go.

About voting for Labor rather than the Greens...I probably wouldn't bother, but I'm in a safe Labor seat so it wouldn't really send a message. What is your electorate? The Greens did win that Melbourne one and even though it wasn't Liberal, it was still seen as a bit of a no-confidence in a Labor government, so if you do want to change your vote then go for it.

freejoytoo...it's complicated. I want to try and explain it better but I don't want to sound wrong :-/

Archived