IGNORED

Australian Prime Minister Speech About Misogyny

luckystone

:roll: Where did I ever say that? And furthermore where did I ever post that Australians are all white convicts? I'm fully aware that Australia is a multicultural country. My point is that there is still a HUGE amount of racism towards indigenous Australians, and I also made sure that I added that I'm aware that not all Australians hold this view. Besides, my post wasn't about government initiatives. My post was about the casual racism towards ethnic minorities which IS a big problem in Australia and is largely accepted by a lot of people. I'm not trying to say that Britian is some tolerant utopia, we have a lot of issues with racism as well, but I think racism on a casual level is more widely accepted in certain parts of Australia. And the majority of people do not sympathise with the BNP. As for the TV show, my point was that the fact that they were discussing that so many people hold this view and that it's a big issue there shows it's a problem (and yes, I know it's one source but I've seen evidence of this in other parts of the media).

Apologies for late reply, have been away all weekend. And I reitearte: I do not think all Australians are racists who hurl abuse at minorites and likewise I don't think the government aren't funding programs to help such groups. But I think it's undeniable that in several parts of Australia casual racism is a huge issue and not taken seriously enough.

Thank you! :clap:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:roll: Where did I ever say that? And furthermore where did I ever post that Australians are all white convicts? I'm fully aware that Australia is a multicultural country. My point is that there is still a HUGE amount of racism towards indigenous Australians, and I also made sure that I added that I'm aware that not all Australians hold this view. Besides, my post wasn't about government initiatives. My post was about the casual racism towards ethnic minorities which IS a big problem in Australia and is largely accepted by a lot of people. I'm not trying to say that Britian is some tolerant utopia, we have a lot of issues with racism as well, but I think racism on a casual level is more widely accepted in certain parts of Australia. And the majority of people do not sympathise with the BNP. As for the TV show, my point was that the fact that they were discussing that so many people hold this view and that it's a big issue there shows it's a problem (and yes, I know it's one source but I've seen evidence of this in other parts of the media).

Apologies for late reply, have been away all weekend. And I reitearte: I do not think all Australians are racists who hurl abuse at minorites and likewise I don't think the government aren't funding programs to help such groups. But I think it's undeniable that in several parts of Australia casual racism is a huge issue and not taken seriously enough.

Right. So you haven't been here, but based on some media (where people specifically discuss how racism is bad), you're convinced racism is more widely accepted here.

Of course you know what you're talking about :roll: you've made a very informed judgment!

I'd be seriously surprised if that was true (and I have spent ~12 months in the UK). It's also hard to rely on foreign media, how about this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... g-BNP.html reliable?

Governments aren't isolated, they are voted in and are guided to a certain extent by public opinion, the initiatives demonstrate indeed that racism is not tolerated and is taken seriously. Initiatives to do with employment etc also (slowly) combat 'casual' racism.

Of course it's a problem. But it's a problem in the whole world.

It's pretty pointless continuously debating seeing as there are no "casual racism" stats, I just found your posts hilariously annoying because you were making judgments based on a TV show.

Right. So you haven't been here, but based on some media (where people specifically discuss how racism is bad), you're convinced racism is more widely accepted here.

Of course you know what you're talking about :roll: you've made a very informed judgment!

I'd be seriously surprised if that was true (and I have spent ~12 months in the UK). It's also hard to rely on foreign media, how about this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... g-BNP.html reliable?

Governments aren't isolated, they are voted in and are guided to a certain extent by public opinion, the initiatives demonstrate indeed that racism is not tolerated and is taken seriously. Initiatives to do with employment etc also (slowly) combat 'casual' racism.

It's pretty pointless continuously debating seeing as there are no "casual racism" stats, I just found your posts hilariously annoying because you were making judgments based on a TV show.

You've already admitted to living in the magical racism-free land of god only knows where (I'm guessing Sydney's north shore or similarly rich white enclave) so why do you continue to try to speak for the whole country when you've never actually been exposed to what's being discussed? Whether you're aware of it or not, the truth is that casual racism is rampant in our country. You keep trying to turn the argument around to other things, and are now claiming to find the original premise for this ENTIRE DISCUSSION to be "hilariously annoying" whatever that might mean, and that it's "pointless" to keep discussing it. Really? The media is an excellent reflection of society as a whole and it is completely valid to make assumptions about a culture based on it. Freejoytoo admirably went one stop further and asked for feedback (not stats) from actual Australians and got two responses agreeing that what she had seen was accurate and one response completely proving her point by refusing to recognize an obvious problem. I guess it *is* pointless to keep discussing it, because she well and truly has her answer.

She got two posts disagreeing and two posts agreeing (though have either of you ever lived in the UK, for comparison purposes?). Feedback, not stats. I see. So not only do you think anecdotes in plural are data, but you think anecdotes in plural are more accurate than data! I certainly didn't say it was perfect but I said I don't think it's something more common than other western nations, which is what she claimed, of course I've been exposed to/witnessed racism but fortunately not very often. The media is a good reflection? Did you not see the link I posted above?

Racism isn't high where I live BECAUSE it's very multicultural and it would be socially inappropriate to say anything unless you happen to be somewhere with a bunch of people from the same race who happen to all be racist, or you are an unusually nasty person. Not sure where you got the idea that it's all rich and white here lol. I don't even have a typical Anglo background.

Like I said, when comparing "casual racism" between countries it's impossible to prove, so whatever. But I stand by my statements that both in terms of multiculturalism, anti-racism initiatives and, in my opinion, general behaviour, Australia is doing pretty well in a world scale.

She got two posts disagreeing and two posts agreeing (though have either of you ever lived in the UK, for comparison purposes?). Feedback, not stats. I see. So not only do you think anecdotes in plural are data, but you think anecdotes in plural are more accurate than data! I certainly didn't say it was perfect but I said I don't think it's something more common than other western nations, which is what she claimed, of course I've been exposed to/witnessed racism but fortunately not very often. The media is a good reflection? Did you not see the link I posted above?

Racism isn't high where I live BECAUSE it's very multicultural and it would be socially inappropriate to say anything unless you happen to be somewhere with a bunch of people from the same race who happen to all be racist, or you are an unusually nasty person. Not sure where you got the idea that it's all rich and white here lol. I don't even have a typical Anglo background.

Like I said, when comparing "casual racism" between countries it's impossible to prove, so whatever. But I stand by my statements that both in terms of multiculturalism, anti-racism initiatives and, in my opinion, general behaviour, Australia is doing pretty well in a world scale.

Who was the second person disagreeing? And who said anything about data? She was asking for people's personal anecdotes.

I just wrote out a massive paragraph trying to explain this to you, but it really is futile. You literally don't get more multicultural than where I live and work, and yet I see racism daily. Not riots, but a comment or joke here and there. I've never been to a place that was any different. Either where you live truly is magical (again, would love to know where) or you just don't understand what racism actually is. And if either of those are the case, you're probably not warranted in having an opinion on it and scolding others for making observations on what they have, legitimately, witnessed.

I must have missed the link you posted above, because I see nothing relevant to the point(?) you were making, sorry. But I happen to have done extensive research into, and written a thesis on, the extent to which mass media reflects its culture of origin, so I'll be right, thanks. You're trying to twist this around and change the subject and it's not working. Everyone else in this discussion has reached consensus. I am replying to let you know I have read, failed to understand, and am now going to move on with my life. The foe feature only works if I let it, and I now plan to do so.

I didn't make a post with a blanket statement. I said that from observations from the media this is an insight I've gleaned, and then I asked Australians if they felt this was correct, and then people agreed with me! And where did I say that the UK didn't have issues with racism? Of course we do. I was talking about a specific kind of racism aimed at indigenous people and I didn't just get this insight from one TV show. I post on a forum with several Australian posters and there was a discussion about an Australian drama with a mixed race couple, and someone said it was edgy and daring, and it wouldn't be seen as that here as we have shown mixed race couples on TV for about twenty years. It's things like that. Jesus, I'm not trying to write some kind of report on racism on Australia. I have just noticed from various media sources that there seems to be a lot of racial tension in certain areas and that casual racism is an issue. Great if it isn't in your area, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

As for the government, their initiatives don't always correlate with the public opinion. We have a great welfare system and a high number of immigrants and you can't count the number of people who winge about scroungers and Poles taking over England.

I didn't set out to offend anyone. I simply made an observation that casual racism seems like quite an issue in Australia, how and why I had come to this conclusion and then asked if people agreed. I didn't post 'Australia is a horrible racist country who hates anyone who isn't white'.

Well you did say some quite offensive things like Australians taking over then viewing Aborigines as a joke, but okay. Things are seriously different to and more complex than the media.

Was the show "Neighbours" or one of those? Lol. Anything and anyone that's not a model blonde surfer would be edgy. It would be edgy and daring to have a lead who was overweight or a disabled character, but that doesn't mean those things aren't common in society. I suspect that's a reflection of the show being backwards rather than the viewers or the public because mixed-raced couples are not rare and have definitely been on tv for ages.

I guess TV shows are just funny like that http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... n-true-may

Archived