IGNORED

Housewife on Breast Cancer and Feminism

AtroposHeart

Maybe I'm taking it all to personal but I don't see anything wrong with any kind of advertising to make people more aware of any type of cancer. I think she is literally the biggest piece of shit ever and should not be allowed to reproduce.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read somewhere that the reason breast cancer awareness and funding is such a big thing is because for a long time women's health was somewhat of an afterthought. Women obviously died of heart disease, but instead of making women aware of warning signs specific to their gender (abdominal pain was one, I think), prevention was very much focused on warning signs that were more common in men, leading women not to act on their heart attacks until it was too late to do anything about them.

For that reason I support all the pink campaigns. I think there needs to be more awareness of ovarian and cervical cancers, but breast cancer is a great place to start.

God knows I hate to even appear to agree with any fundie thing concerning women, but I hate the pink marketing.

I also hate all forms of cancer far more than the pink marketing itself. Cancer can kiss my skinny white feminine ass.

I won't repeat her insanely offensive line, but with her nasty remark about football players wearing pink, the "thinking" housewife demonstrates she knows very little about actual history.

Pink was fairly interchangeable with blue for baby boys and girls once colored baby clothes made an appearance in the late 1800s until around the 1930s, and some early 20th century articles even claimed pink was the color for boys (although this is a subject of some debate).

While I can't claim the absolute veracity of it, I also once heard from a historian that pink was considered a manly color because pink was the color that red blood splashed across white uniforms after battle made...an interesting, if probably apocryphal legend.

Not that it really matters. I know plenty of guys who wear pink just because they like the color and housewife is an idiot.

My husband can't wear pink in the same way I can't wear (super) pale beige - it matches his skin tone so much you can't tell where the shirt ends and his chin begins. Having said that, one of our in-jokes is that purple is a guys color and he quite enjoys wearing it. Making color gendered is stupid. Saying half of the population can't enjoy something pink for fear of losing their masculinity (whatever that means to them) makes no sense whatsoever and I am glad that the football players did their best to show this regardless of their intentions.

Someone on Facebook posted about how he likes the pink NFL (his daughter has survived breast cancer twice) and why doesn't MLB do it too? Someone else replied that baseball has been doing the pink thing even longer than the NFL. Cancer really doesn't care what sport you play.

Here's a link to a petition to get NFL players to wear gold in September 2013 for pediatric cancer month.

gopetition.com/petitions/go-gold-for-pediatric-cancer-awareness-in-the-nfl-for-s.html

The idea about the players wearing gold for pediatric cancer is a good idea and it would fit in with how many NFL players are heavily involved with pediatric cancer organizations and hospitals. I think one good alternative for NFL to do is to get involved with the Stand Up To Cancer organization.

Colon cancer kills more people every year than breast cancer, and almost as many women alone. There is an effective screening test for colon cancer. In fact, colon cancer screening with colonoscopy reduces the risk of death from cancer more than mammography. March is colon cancer awareness month, and dark blue is the official colon cancer awareness ribbon. I don't recall seeing any colon cancer merch in March. No cute t-shirts, and no 5K races with 30K+ people. A woman diagnosed with colon cancer has to wait until her illness is disabling before she can get Medicaid, but a woman with breast cancer gets it right away.

Here you go... They got the cute t-shirts and everything.

http://www.getyourrearingear.com/

My mom had surgery for breast cancer (lumpectomy) AND a small section of her colon taken out on the very same day. Thankfully the big honking colon polyp was only precancerous, and thankfully after one preventative round of radiation mom has the all clear, with excellent prognosis.

Heaven help the poor misguided fool who came near her with a pink ribboned anything.

I am all for breast cancer awareness but I think the "save the tatas" campaign has gone a bit off the rails. As my husband so wisely puts it, a woman is much more than her breasts. I get annoyed at the companies who are obviously doing the pink ribbon bandwagon just to make money, but, hey, if some women(and men*) with breast cancer get comfort from the rah-rah, by all means, I support them.

*I know a male breast cancer survivor too. It happens.

I am all for breast cancer awareness but I think the "save the tatas" campaign has gone a bit off the rails. As my husband so wisely puts it, a woman is much more than her breasts.

Exactly! I hate that slogan.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer 1 year ago, it really sucks to be diagnosed during BC awareness..cough.. Susan Komen fundraising month.. I like forgetting I have it vs. the pink onslaught of October. ;)

I am doing well and only have 3 treatments left. I am anti Susan Komen due to the politics and because it is just another "cause" that isn't trying to cure or prevent cancer, just detect it. Last year Komen actually had KFC as a sponser with a pink bucket of fried chicken, which is opposite of what women should eat if they have cancer or are hoping to prevent it. Breast cancer is not a right of passage and it needs to be prevented, detected and cured.

The women that wrote that blog isn't worth my time.

I feel really sorry for the women who end up marrying the Stinking Fishwife's sons. I think she has two sons.

Assuming they are heterosexual, and that's a big assumption, can you imagine marrying one of those cretins she birthed

and have that hateful excuse for a human being second-guessing your every move?

I mean, this is the woman who didn't like Kate Middleton because she was not a virgin and therefore not sufficiently terrified of her wedding night.

Wouldn't the Lousewife be appalled to realise that her stance on pinkwashing isn't so far off from leftie Barbara Ehrenreich's? :D

Archived