IGNORED

Housewife on Breast Cancer and Feminism

AtroposHeart

thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2012/10/breast-cancer-and-feminism/

During October, everything in sight is painted pink—the chosen color of feminine “empowerment,†I suppose—and a bevy of worn, weary “survivors†are regularly trotted out as exemplars of womanly courage and fortitude. I have nothing against women with breast cancer, of course; indeed, I wish them well. But do we really require pink newspapers delivered to our doorsteps, and do we really need to see professional football players wearing faggy-looking pink shoes and socks for an entire month, just to show we’re properly concerned for and in righteous solidarity with the afflicted?

And if we’re going to parade the victims around and sing them gushing praises, why the selective, patently exclusionary, celebration? Are people with lung, throat, eye, pancreatic, and testicular cancer not also suffering? Are they not also facing their difficulties with stout determination? Why have these inspiring victims not been their own months to be affirmed, lauded, and praised?

The answer, I suspect, has very little to do with cancer, and very much to do with the misandric calibration of the current era. Just as AIDS became a cause célèbre because it disproportionately afflicted gay men, at a time when the Zeitgeist-shapers wished to banish “heterosexism,†so breast cancer “awareness†has become a means of furthering the “Girls rule, boys drool†vibe of radical feminism, which disdains and aims to “deconstruct†masculinity. There’s nothing at all inherently wrong with women giving other women encouragement, but the fact that macho NFL linemen are now being made to wear pink should tell us something about the aims and objectives of the “Save the Tatas†campaign.

Surely there is a way to honor the sick that doesn’t resort to cheap posturing and politicizing. And surely there are sincere people in the “pink ribbon†movement who only want to see the development of a cure for a disease that affects thousands of families a year. But the hearty Zeitgeist-defier should recognize, and be leery of, massive media-driven, and obviously contrived campaigns to exploit his compassion for nefarious ends

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
thinkinghousewife.com/wp/2012/10/breast-cancer-and-feminism/

During October, everything in sight is painted pink—the chosen color of feminine “empowerment,†I suppose—and a bevy of worn, weary “survivors†are regularly trotted out as exemplars of womanly courage and fortitude. I have nothing against women with breast cancer, of course; indeed, I wish them well. But do we really require pink newspapers delivered to our doorsteps, and do we really need to see professional football players wearing faggy-looking pink shoes and socks for an entire month, just to show we’re properly concerned for and in righteous solidarity with the afflicted?

And if we’re going to parade the victims around and sing them gushing praises, why the selective, patently exclusionary, celebration? Are people with lung, throat, eye, pancreatic, and testicular cancer not also suffering? Are they not also facing their difficulties with stout determination? Why have these inspiring victims not been their own months to be affirmed, lauded, and praised?

The answer, I suspect, has very little to do with cancer, and very much to do with the misandric calibration of the current era. Just as AIDS became a cause célèbre because it disproportionately afflicted gay men, at a time when the Zeitgeist-shapers wished to banish “heterosexism,†so breast cancer “awareness†has become a means of furthering the “Girls rule, boys drool†vibe of radical feminism, which disdains and aims to “deconstruct†masculinity. There’s nothing at all inherently wrong with women giving other women encouragement, but the fact that macho NFL linemen are now being made to wear pink should tell us something about the aims and objectives of the “Save the Tatas†campaign.

Surely there is a way to honor the sick that doesn’t resort to cheap posturing and politicizing. And surely there are sincere people in the “pink ribbon†movement who only want to see the development of a cure for a disease that affects thousands of families a year. But the hearty Zeitgeist-defier should recognize, and be leery of, massive media-driven, and obviously contrived campaigns to exploit his compassion for nefarious ends

Up yours, Laura. Preferably with a barrel cactus.

Weird how nothing in her world is by choice. None of those NFL guys CHOSE to wear pink; they were all forced into it.

Nice to know that pink on males is "faggy-looking". Especially since pink was a boys colour up to the 1940's.

Nice to know that pink on males is "faggy-looking". Especially since pink was a boys colour up to the 1940's.

This. While it's a rare thing, men do get breast cancer so it's not just a female issue.

"Faggy looking" I spat coffee through my nostrils...

I'd like to wave this in her face should she ever be unfortunate enough to get breast cancer.

The only pink campaign I object to is fast food restaurants. Really, Mcdonald's advertising pink is just a way to lure in more customers.

I swear, this woman can complain about anything and everything. At least her blog's got decent formatting.

You know, I very much agreed with her up until she said that the tidal wave of pink shit was because of sexism against men. I suppose she'd prefer it if women kept their silly "female troubles" to themselves... And die because the 99% male medical establishment was too prudish to be bothered to do any actual research. Save the ta-ta's indeed.

There's a lot of valid complaints of misogyny and shallowness when it comes to this breast cancer "awareness" craze. You'd have to really stretch to make it about how teh poor menz are oppressed.

Edited because "faggy-looking"? Really? Fuck you and your bigoted nonsense.

Zzzzzzz. She is a moron trying to get hits. I know A LOT of straight men who wear pink, and don't seem to worry that they will start wanting butt sechs for it. I met a CEO of a company a few weeks ago who wore a pink floral tie and a grey suit with pink pinstripes....with pepto pink socks. Secure men don't wake up and worry whether people will think they are ghey for wearing pink.

Offense collectors like the Lousewife are so tiresome.

I do design work for a breast and ovarian cancer research and education organization and this year's BC conference honorees are a MAN who died of BC and his daughter who founded her own organization in his memory to fund research and educate the public about male BC. Although I suppose by the Lousewife's way of thinking, the daughter should just shut up and sit in a corner because that's all wimmins is good for.

Idiot...

@ stinking housewife: STFU (and I have never typed that before)

I will say whatever I choose to say about breast cancer - in October or any other month. I will wear pink, or any other color, according to my personal preferences. I have earned that right, the very hard way.

Once again, STFU.

Signed, SURVIVOR

There's a lot of valid complaints of misogyny and shallowness when it comes to this breast cancer "awareness" craze. You'd have to really stretch to make it about how teh poor menz are oppressed.

All of this.

Oh, dear... the string of expletives I'd like to unleash on her.

I may not always agree with the pink campaigns but the issue there has nothing to do with men and everything to do with marketing tactics. Tinting something pink and donating money to breast cancer research is deconstructing masculinity? Ask the guys who CHOOSE to wear pink. The guys who are survivors, the guys who have a mom, a sister, a daughter, a wife who is a survivor or sadly, the guys in families whose BC victim(s) were not so lucky. I just can't even.

But do we really require pink newspapers delivered to our doorsteps, and do we really need to see professional football players wearing faggy-looking pink shoes and socks for an entire month, just to show we’re properly concerned for and in righteous solidarity with the afflicted?

1) God forbid powerful men give a shit about the womenz. I mean, honestly, I think that wearing pink socks and shoes for a month does next to nothing, and is just another example of the "pink-washing" of breast cancer, of raising faux "awareness." (Are you aware of breast cancer? I hope so.) But for shit's sake, can't a dude be like, "Oh hey, my mom/wife/grandma/sister/friend, or some woman somewhere struggled with this disease, and that sucks. I want to wear pink socks in October to show my support." I didn't know men giving a shit about other people was considered "faggy." :roll:

2) Why is she even watching football? By her own philosophy that she spews all over, shouldn't she be in the kitchen making food for the manly men?

3) Is she a Christian? Is she aware of the gospels of her supposed savior? Or is the Jesus of the Bible too concerned with others and considered "faggy"?

Zzzzzzz. She is a moron trying to get hits. I know A LOT of straight men who wear pink, and don't seem to worry that they will start wanting butt sechs for it. I met a CEO of a company a few weeks ago who wore a pink floral tie and a grey suit with pink pinstripes....with pepto pink socks. Secure men don't wake up and worry whether people will think they are ghey for wearing pink.

Yeah, I'm not even aware this was an issue any more. Loads of men wear pink, just because they like the colour.

Okay housewife, instead of sitting on your ass and whinning and moaning why don't you get off it and actually make an effort to do something?!

Some places here will set up fundraisers. Others will make arts and crafts to sell and the money goes to cancer research. These people do this and I don't hear one word of complaint from them unlike you housewife.

I hate her delivery, but in some respects I agree with the message. Breast cancer sucks, but other cancers suck too. Currently breast cancer research in the US is way over funded to the exclusion of other cancers. I say that as the niece of a 25 year breast cancer survivor and a scientist working on breast cancer research. There are also a ton of resources available to women with breast cancer that are not available to other cancer patients. A women with a low income qualifies for Medicaid if she is diagnosed with breast cancer (men with breast cancer do not qualify). All other adults with any other cancer diagnosis have to wait until they get sick enough to be disabled, then qualify for Medicaid based on disability.

In terms of saving lives, "awareness" does very little. The greatest barriers to breast cancer screening are cost, time, and accessibility of mammogram facilities. Very few women skip breast cancer screening because they didn't know. They skip it because they don't have time, insurance, transportation, childcare, etc... Slapping pink shoes on a football player does absolutely nothing to solve that. Breast cancer awareness has become a product, and it sells well. A large part of the marketability of breast cancer stuff is the sexual nature of breasts. There is also an element of paternalistic protection of women (seriously, I can't tell you how many times I've heard "we have to help our women" or something similar). There are many cancers that are far more likely to kill than breast cancer, but they aren't sexy and don't lend themselves to cutesy t-shirts.

I hate her delivery, but in some respects I agree with the message. Breast cancer sucks, but other cancers suck too. Currently breast cancer research in the US is way over funded to the exclusion of other cancers. I say that as the niece of a 25 year breast cancer survivor and a scientist working on breast cancer research. There are also a ton of resources available to women with breast cancer that are not available to other cancer patients. A women with a low income qualifies for Medicaid if she is diagnosed with breast cancer (men with breast cancer do not qualify). All other adults with any other cancer diagnosis have to wait until they get sick enough to be disabled, then qualify for Medicaid based on disability.

In terms of saving lives, "awareness" does very little. The greatest barriers to breast cancer screening are cost, time, and accessibility of mammogram facilities. Very few women skip breast cancer screening because they didn't know. They skip it because they don't have time, insurance, transportation, childcare, etc... Slapping pink shoes on a football player does absolutely nothing to solve that. Breast cancer awareness has become a product, and it sells well. A large part of the marketability of breast cancer stuff is the sexual nature of breasts. There is also an element of paternalistic protection of women (seriously, I can't tell you how many times I've heard "we have to help our women" or something similar). There are many cancers that are far more likely to kill than breast cancer, but they aren't sexy and don't lend themselves to cutesy t-shirts.

This is why I dont participate in awareness. I have had to explain to quite a few people that the money is not going to towards research or treatment. It gets frustrating to have to do it every year.

@ stinking housewife: STFU (and I have never typed that before)

I will say whatever I choose to say about breast cancer - in October or any other month. I will wear pink, or any other color, according to my personal preferences. I have earned that right, the very hard way.

Once again, STFU.

Signed, SURVIVOR

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

As the best friend of a 15-year breast cancer survivor, I can't even form a coherent response to the Stinking Lousewife. Just as well, she's not worth the effort.

This makes me think of an amazing post by Susan at Toddler Planet, who passed away from breast cancer last Jan. It's worth the read. toddlerplanet.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/blogher-voices-of-the-year-2/

She raises a lot of the same points you do, and I cried like a baby when I heard her read it at BlogHer.

I get a little tired of the whole "pink power breast cancer awareness" stuff mainly because other forms of cancer don't get a lot of attention. But I think the Housewife is giant cunt for the "faggy looking pink" shoes comment. I don't think the NFL forces any of the players to wear pink gear. In some of the games I watched this past Sunday, there were several players who didn't wear pink gear. Some of the coaches simply wear a pink ribbon. She probably doesn't give a shit that some of the players may have relatives who have had died or died due to breast cancer. The players who wear the pink gear would probably tell her to fuck off, if they heard about some blogger calling their gear "faggy looking".

I think she has a gender roles issue with men wearing pink. My maternal grandmother died three years ago. Sometime before she died, several of my relatives brought up the idea of all the female relatives wearing pink at the funeral because it was my grandma's favorite color. One of my cousins volunteered to make pink boutonnieres for the male relatives to wear at the funeral. One of my guy cousins went out and bought a pink tie to wear to my grandma's funeral. I wonder if the Louswife would have called that tie "faggy looking" or said something about my cousin paying tribute to his grandmother with a pink tie. Knowing how she is, she would have said something.

I wish that she would stfu. If she thinks feminism is so terrible, then she would stop being a hypocrite, and stop blogging so that her leg-humpers would follow her example.

Uh.. As much as she goes on about how October is pink for breat cancer and what about teh Menz...

After October comes Movember

You don't seriously think Movember is marketed on the same level as Pinky-stinky October boobie month do you?

Archived