IGNORED

Alexanders (Meredith's Parents) to Speak at Courtship Conf.

Lady Elaine

Because when a creepy genius stalks your daughter on the internet and marries her you become an expert on all things courtship. This will just be setting other families up to believe that all of their daughters can expect a Rhodes scholar to just pop up out of nowhere.

alexanderadventuresfamilyblog.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-courtship-alternative-in-modern.html

I hope they make it clear that what happened with Meredith was wholly unexpected and fairly unrealistic. Somehow I doubt they will. I've very sorry for all the daughters who will now expect a Rhodes scholar to just find them.

Even more worrying, I hope this does not lead them to talking to any creep who may find their blogs because that could really set them up for dangerous situations.

Guest Anonymous

I wonder if the Alexanders were first reserves for that speaking slot, until Elizabeth Munck broke it off with Joe Maxwell? :lol:

I hope they make it clear that what happened with Meredith was wholly unexpected and fairly unrealistic. Somehow I doubt they will. I've very sorry for all the daughters who will now expect a Rhodes scholar to just find them.

Even more worrying, I hope this does not lead them to talking to any creep who may find their blogs because that could really set them up for dangerous situations.

Oh but you know that if you leave things up to God a Rhodes scholar will find you! Gag. It's by advertising stories like this and not the realistic ones that courtship gets promoted. Remember, Meredith had a gazillion bell ringing little girls that she hoped would be convinced to follow her example by being a part of her wedding.

I don't think we need to worry too much. The vast majority of people attending that Courtship Conference will have no idea what a Rhodes Scholar is, and if they did, they'd be "afeared."

I don't think we need to worry too much. The vast majority of people attending that Courtship Conference will have no idea what a Rhodes Scholar is, and if they did, they'd be "afeared."

Ten bucks says they'll think it's "roads skolur"

I wonder if Timmy will mention that he allowed the courtship even though Stephen wasn't raised christian and probably wasn't a virgin. (Remember Stephen's old high school pal that came on here and told us about his former girlfriends?) Or maybe that little fact slipped past his 18 page questionnaire. Or maybe he was just bowled over by his ivy leauge accomplishments? Wonder if that will come up?

I'd settle for courtship if I was delivered up a Rhodes scholar like Bill Clinton or Kris Kristoferson :D

I wouldn't last through a courtship before I jumped their bones. And hand sex would drive me to insane orgasms :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I wouldn't last through a courtship before I jumped their bones. And hand sex would drive me to insane orgasms :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Gah, the last time I was in Bill's presence I came home and showed my husband a very good time :lol:

Guest Anonymous
I wonder if Timmy will mention that he allowed the courtship even though Stephen wasn't raised christian and probably wasn't a virgin. (Remember Stephen's old high school pal that came on here and told us about his former girlfriends?) Or maybe that little fact slipped past his 18 page questionnaire. Or maybe he was just bowled over by his ivy leauge accomplishments? Wonder if that will come up?

I think the lure of the money and power the guy will probably have was too great, and so the Alexanders were willing to let their daughter go off to someone they wouldn't have considered otherwise.

I wonder if they'll mention their son's failed courtship?

How can anyone invite people to speak on a topic they have no experience with? Their daughter met a dude on the Internet...oh my god, just like millions of young women/men worldwide...and their son's attempt failed. They are not poster parents for how or why courtship 'works'.

What jokes this all is.

Guest Anonymous

How can anyone invite people to speak on a topic they have no experience with? Their daughter met a dude on the Internet...oh my god, just like millions of young women/men worldwide...and their son's attempt failed. They are not poster parents for how or why courtship 'works'.

What jokes this all is.

They're the "poster parents" because a potential politician with a Rhodes scholarship surfed the net and picked their daughter and is willing to control her and have sex and make lots of babies. Prestigious. They got the son-in-law a lot of fundies want. So that means they had to do something right. So they're the role models. Luck had nothing to do with it.

As much as I believe that Meredith's parents just got lucky, they do have one thing up on many other fundies... They at least managed to marry off a daughter! Are you listening, Steve Maxwell and Geoff Botkin?!?!?!?

If they're going to talk, I hope they talk about the fact that Meredith actually did useful (and not always "traditionally feminine") stuff.

Myself, I think a failed courtship is probably a good sign--if the goal is to explore whether someone would be a good spouse for someone else, there really should be a few "nope, not this ones"s in the process. Otherwise, I'd really what they're using as a criteria ("breathing? check! opposite gender? check! really, really eager to be married ASAP? triple check and we have a winner!!!" ;) ).

And speaking of which, I really would like to know what the Alexanders are using for a criteria! Obviously the Stephen match raised some questions from the outside.

I'm wondering if "real-world means of support" was on the list? Unlike a lot of fundies talked about here, the Alexanders and Stephen actually exist by selling goods and services in the real world instead of "pimping the fundie" for their income, i.e. they don't survive on:

• lecturing to other fundies for cash or donations
    self-publishing instructional books to sell to fundies
    selling low quality, not particularly useful, or amateurely produced products and services (fiction, web "design", wedding photography, chore packs, BRADERICK!) to other fundies using fundy status as a selling point since the quality isn't good enough for the open market
    selling books, videos, or being paid to be on tv in order to sell an image of your large and strident family like a human zoo exhibit

Stephen having skills, education, experience, and a job that can help him continue to get jobs as needed have, I think, done more to set up a solid future for the Hammer family than most of the other things they could have looked for (and I don't even mean the Rhodes Scholar/Army Officer level of it, I think Timmy's contractor's license and experience have done the same thing for the Alexanders, making the house flipping and farm renovation cost effective leading to some money and connections to get the farm up and running, none of which rely on appealing to fundies). I really wonder if that was something they considered or if it was just good luck.

catching up on her story via her blog and whoaboy. Weird situation!!!! I am always baffled by how involved these fathers are and how it's such a transfer of power... father makes deal with man who is willing to take over control of daughter. daughter is given to husband along with two cows and a van named Uriah (who are we kidding, Steve will never give that van up!)

My dad would NEVER think of making me go through him to find a man. It skeeves me out. Why are these dads so creepy?

Archived