IGNORED

Dead Celebrities

anniebgood

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My childhood is passing away. First Davy Jones a couple of months ago, then Dick Clark the other day, as well as Jonathan Frid, the original Barnabas Collins. Makes me sad. :cry:

My childhood is passing away. First Davy Jones a couple of months ago, then Dick Clark the other day, as well as Jonathan Frid, the original Barnabas Collins. Makes me sad. :cry:

And Mike Wallace... LOVED watching his interviews on 60 Minutes, blasting away while his latest target shifted uncomfortably and tried to pretend nothing was out of the ordinary. No one does that like he did; even Anderson Cooper (whom I quite admire as a newsperson) is too "nice" and doesn't really nail people. (And what a sad outcome to have son Chris Wallace end up on Fucked News; he really, really sold out.)

I can't remember a NYE without Dick Clark. I don't imagine I'll enjoy it at all this year. I hope he knew how loved he was, even by people who never met him. My sympathies to his family.

I always enjoyed the $howevermuch Pyramid. I wonder if they're still airing reruns on GSN.

I'm pretty sure they do, happy atheist.

I know what you mean. I was talking to my occupational therapist about Dick Clark the other day. We both have vivid memories ofBandstand. The music, the couples dancing, Rate-A-Record.

• 2 weeks later...

MCA of the Beastie Boys passed today. He battled cancer for years. So sad.

Such a loss.

"I want to say a little something that's long overdue-the disrespect to women has got to be through"

Such a loss.

"I want to say a little something that's long overdue-the disrespect to women has got to be through"

The Beastie Boys really turned out to quite feminist in the end. They really grew up, and were devoted family men.

So sad we no longer have MCA, yet Ted Nugent is still alive.

• 3 months later...

I heard on the radio this afternoon that comedian Phyllis Diller has died at the age of 95. I don't know if Phyllis would like being considered a feminist icon or not though I think she wouldn't mind. She was a late bloomer not starting her career in standup till she was 37. She was married with a husband out of work and five kids. ( A sixth child died shortly after birth.) Her husband suggested her try comedy as she was always cracking jokes. It worked and Phyllis had a run at The Purple Onion in San Francisco of 87 straight weeks. Phyllis was a pioneer of women in standup comedy. There were few, if any, other women doing standup in the Fifties. She made fun of her husband, the fictional "Fang", but mostly herself.

Phyllis was a classically trained pianist and enjoyed painting. She was also a really good cook though she would poke fun of her cooking and housekeeping skills in her act. She also supported gay rights and appeared in several Pride parades.

Phyllis said that the key to a long life was comedy and the ability to make people laugh. She pointed out that Bob Hope and George Burns both lived past their 100th birthday and Milton Berle lived to be 96. Maybe she was right. Phyllis passed away in her sleep with a smile on her face.

In Phyllis's memory, if my grandkids should write their names in the dust on the furniture, I'll remind them not to put the year!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phyllis_Diller

ETA link to wikipedia page

• 3 months later...

Larry Hagman, who played Major Nelson on "I dream of Jeannie" and the villian everyone loved to hate on "Dallas", Jr. Ewing. died over the weekend. he made apperances in the revamped Dallas. I never watched 'Dallas' but loved Jeannie reruns.

I loved how on Jeannie he played a very sweet man and on Dallas he played the villian very well. Larry will be missed and he was good on the revamp Dallas and fans are wondering how the show will work out without him.

I did not know that Larry had died till Joan Collins mentioned last night on Watch What Happens Live on Bravo. I already had tears in my eyes from Jeff Lewis on the evening's episode of Flipping Out having to put his poor elderly cat, Monkey, to sleep and then I learned that. Larry was not only on Jeannie and Dallas, but he was in the film Failsafe about an accidental nuclear bombing of the USSR. He was very good. His mom was Mary Martin who those of us of a certain age remember as Peter Pan on TV.

• 1 month later...

Every Friday night my mom would watch this and so I did too. Actually loved Dallas. JR was just so bad, and I thought that was cool. I read a piece in People abt him. He liked to drink, smoke dope, and act. Was a real people person. Maybe that's why I liked JR; Hagman was a nice guy under the character. RIP

I did not know that Larry had died till Joan Collins mentioned last night on Watch What Happens Live on Bravo. I already had tears in my eyes from Jeff Lewis on the evening's episode of Flipping Out having to put his poor elderly cat, Monkey, to sleep and then I learned that. Larry was not only on Jeannie and Dallas, but he was in the film Failsafe about an accidental nuclear bombing of the USSR. He was very good. His mom was Mary Martin who those of us of a certain age remember as Peter Pan on TV.

I got to meet her after I saw Peter Pan on Broadway.

• 2 months later...

I'm really bummed about this. Like, I actually have been crying some. I was a big fan. I am happy that I got a signed copy of his autobiography when it came out. It's just pretty shocking since like YESTERDAY he was writing about taking a leave and all the plans he had, and he seemed really hopeful.

I just read this on DailyKos. He was not only a great movie critic, but a great progressive. Roger will be missed.

Archived