IGNORED

Dead Celebrities

anniebgood

Its unfortunate that she died but her song titles do not contribute to any reverence of her death. The only two I could remember off the back was rehab and I'm no good.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw, don't feel bad, Bambi was awful. My mom took me to see it in the theaters when it came out for a special viewing (I must have been a wee child, maybe three or four) Because that's a brilliant thing to do... I think they made us leave to go out into the lobby when his mom died.

I'm glad I'm not alone! I always feel so stupid for not being able to handle things normal people seem to be able to without any problem.

I'm glad I'm not alone, too! Sounds like there's a few of us here. One time, at Red Lobster, we ordered calamari. Now I have to ask at restaurants to make sure it's just the rings, and doesn't have any baby squids. That made me cry. No more calamari at Red Lobster for us.

It is a dangerous combo to hate yourself and have unlimited access to drugs..

That one sentence sums the whole business up.

I'm usually accused of lacking empathy, not having too much. But Amy's death seems so unnecessary, like the folk in Norway. Necessary death is one thing (maybe in a war, or if the other person is trying to kill you) but a young life cut so short is sad.

The part that I find the saddest is that, when someone with talent, but some obvious problems, surfaces on the scene, they always attract a ton of enablers and leeches. People who are better off if the star self destructs. These people become commodities, to be used first and foremost for financial gain. I have no doubt that her husband was one of these people and that she had a ton of them, egging her on to be outrageous, screwed up on drugs and alcohol and make a fool of herelf.

Those who actually did care about her, like her parents, were shoved aside for the enablers who really wanted to see her face down in a gutter. I assume that none of them wanted her to die, but... they wanted her on the front pages of every tabloid. It was good for business. Lindsay Lohan is another star with some obvious talent, who's wasting it by giving in to the enablers. Unfortunately for Lindsay, her parents are some of the worst enablers that she has and there are very few who care about her enough to want to see her clean up, make some good movies and do something with her life. She's more useful to them if the's getting attention by being a massive screw up.

Britney Spears was lucky. She had family and friends who were horrified enough at her behavior that they stepped in, did something about it and got her back to a somewhat normal state of existence. They forced her into treatment, they forced her to start making better decisions for herself and her children. This is what should happen, because someone with an out of control addiction or mental health problem needs to be taken care of. They're obviously not able to do so themselves.

I'm sad that Amy Winehouse didn't have enough of this and I really fear for Lindsay Lohan, that she'll meet the same fate. With all of the insanity already in her life, I feel like it's only a matter of time for her. It's doubly sad when I've known people in my own life, who had the same things working against them, but were still able to clean up and move on. It is possible, even for someone without the wealth of resources that celebrities have.

I hope that Amy finds some peace in the afterlife and that her demise sends a message to other that, even though stars may seem like they're invincible, they're just as human as everyone else.

There are actually some huge issues with Britney Spears and her treatment: http://www.autostraddle.com/its-not-bri ... tch-84052/

but i agree with your general statements. we're a very messed up culture in these respects

I always thought Amy was a massive talent, but I felt like I was exploiting her just listening to her music. She was so messed up, and her music reflected it so openly that I could never enjoy it. I honestly wasn't surprised to hear she had passed away.

It's always awful when people die young. The 27 Club is heartbreaking.

The article on Britney Spears was interesting. I've always felt like the media contributed to her decline. At one point, it seemed as if there was nothing that she could do that wasn't open for mockery. Granted, she played into the media's hands but the tabloids seemed eager to find anything that they could use to make her seem more shocking than she actually was.

I have to admit, I hoped that she shaved her head to rebel against the image that had been created for her. It would have been nice if she had come out and said, "Fuck the Virgin/Pop Princess/Whore that you want me to be." Sadly, that wasn't what happened and it turns out that she is a fragile person, but I've wondered if the same people in control of her life and money(her family) are the same people that contributed to some of her problems.

I can't imagine the pressures of the 'young and famous'. Young in age, maturity and experience.

When you are 'famous' for something, and other people are depending on you, the pressure has got to be immense.

I know how I felt when younger if and when I disappointed someone. When I didn't live up to expectations. Hell, I know how I still feel under those circumstances. It's painful. And I have coping skills and life experience now, but it still hurts and it can still crush me.

When you are 'good' at something, good enough to become 'rich & famous' - that's a lot of freaking pressure and a lot to live up to every day of your life. If you don't have maturity or coping skills, but you have a whole lot of money and an illusion of power and control, I can totally see how it can turn to self destruction. It's probably the only thing you actually do have control over in your glamorous life.

What's worse is when those who are in your life enable you. When there is no one to stop the speeding train, no matter the cost, so you can get your shit together and help yourself. Whether you're Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Amy Winehouse....or any of hundreds of other young 'stars' whose lives ended too soon because they couldn't cope and had no control over their own fame.

Hell. Look at Charlie Sheen. He jumped on the fame train at a very young age and has never gotten off. He's publicly destroying himself and has been doing so for almost 30 years. And, he is being helped in the process by those who hire him, book him for absurd 'shows', and those who buy tickets for the public train wreck. He has no ability to cope, and no reason to try since he is making money by crashing and burning in public.

I feel terrible for those who truly loved Amy and for their loss. I feel bad for Amy and her never ending battles against herself and her demons. I feel contempt for those who enabled her to her death. No you can't force someone to get help or make different choices, but you can sure as hell back off and stop enabling the destructive behaviors.

She's responsible for her own choices and actions. But others share responsibility.

It's a waste, but it's not a surprise.

I didn't know a whole lot about her music other than "Rehab." I must admit the member of the 27 club I"ll miss most is Kurt Cobain.

Addiction is a disease, although US culture doesn't necessarily view it as such.

My roommate last year was a nursing major and I learned a great deal from her that I know will help me as a physician. One of the many things she was passionate about was the correct treatment of patients who are dealing with addictions of any kind, and she was so frustrated with people who didn't understand why someone can't always "just quit." It is a disease, and one that isn't always taken seriously.

I don't care who Amy Winehouse is (though I loved her music) or what she was addicted to. She was a person just like the rest of us, who had so much potential (just like every living person has), and I will shed the same number of tears for her as I do for those in Norway or those in Ethiopia.

RIP Amy.

We've discussed the fact that depression is a disease here - and nearly everyone agreed that it should be treated as such. Addiction is a disease, too. If it's wrong to tell someone who is suffering from major depressive disorder to "snap out of it" and pull themselves out of the pit of despair by positive thinking, it's just as wrong to tell someone suffering from addiction that they should just quit the substance and move on. They CAN'T. That's what addiction means. That's how it works.

I had a friend OD on heroin and pass away several years ago. He'd been to rehab eight times. He'd sworn off drugs, he'd moved in with his parents, he tried so hard to beat the addiction. In the end, it killed him. When I met him, I was firmly of the opinion that drug addiction was just people being weak. They didn't try hard enough. They didn't make an effort. What I watched my friend go through was pure hell, physically and mentally, and it had nothing to do with how hard he was trying or how strong he was. He was SICK. And, eventually, he died.

There's a blogpost today that I felt was worth a read: Yes, I'm an addict too. In it, the author says "For most addicts, there’s a constant presence on your shoulder telling you you’re not good enough, that somehow, you’re ‘less’ than everyone out there. Your thoughts go round like a washing machine on high-speed. The noise in your head is constant, loud and harsh. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a rich and famous popstar, or Mary Taylor in Islington, homeless and sleeping rough in a shop doorway; it’s that same mindset. Alcohol and drugs are merely the medication."

My roommate last year was a nursing major and I learned a great deal from her that I know will help me as a physician. One of the many things she was passionate about was the correct treatment of patients who are dealing with addictions of any kind, and she was so frustrated with people who didn't understand why someone can't always "just quit." It is a disease, and one that isn't always taken seriously.

I don't care who Amy Winehouse is (though I loved her music) or what she was addicted to. She was a person just like the rest of us, who had so much potential (just like every living person has), and I will shed the same number of tears for her as I do for those in Norway or those in Ethiopia.

RIP Amy.

Someone addicted will berate themselves and promise themselves that 'this is it, the last time' and stress and freak out over the very thing they cannot stop doing. Lifting that drink or taking that drug while saying the words 'this is going to kill/ruin me/my life'. I've watched it countless times since I come from a long line of alcoholics. I've seen many, many lives destroyed because one can NOT simply stop and start over. Addiction is not a mere habit and it is not a choice. People don't choose to ruin their lives. They can be completely aware that they are doing so but that awareness only gives them more pain, not more hope or super ability to change their lives 'just like that'.

I read something yesterday that I can't directly quote because I don't remember where I read it, but the gist is: Every human being has two things in common that are guaranteed. We will all make mistakes and we will all die. Show some of the compassion you hope for when it's your turn.

Show some of the compassion you hope for when it's your turn.

Meh. If I kill myself through drug or alcohol addiction- I expect exactly as much sympathy as I have for Winehouse. None.

wow. i'm sad that you guys are that sensitive, but also relieved that i'm not the only one.

i cannot watch animal films, ever, because (as somebody said), there seems to always be a scene around some sort of cruelty or death, and i cannot handle it.

ditto ASPCA commercials, and animated animal movies.

I've also found that, since I had children, I honestly cannot tolerate movies, books, or news items involving any sort of violence to children.

Like, it's not just "awww, that's terrible!"...it's more of a full force feeling of that thing actually happening to my kid. cannot handle.

this just proves that keith richards is a cyborg

Guest Anonymous
this just proves that keith richards is a cyborg

Absolutely. Have you seen that documentary, "Cocksucker Blues"? I couldn't watch more then 5 minutes of it, it was... too much. Suffice it to say, if the drugs haven't killed him, an STD surely should have. I suspect he just has to say, "Go, Go, Gadget Groin!" to get a fresh one.

• 8 months later...

He was one of my favorite people to watch when I was a kid, and he was just EVERYWHERE. It didn't occur to me to wonder why he never seemed to age until I was pushing middle age myself. RIP, Dick Clark (and no, Ryan Seacrest is most certainly NOT your worthy successor, IMO). :roll:

he brought evil rock music to the mainstream It is where we first saw Madonna. I recall looking at the tv guide back when I was around 13 and saw 'Madonna' as guest on Bandstand and thought wondered who that is. Anyone who was somebody appeared on bandstand but Elvis ,the Beatles, and the Rolling Stones. New Year's Eve will never be the same

Archived