IGNORED

Lady Lydia is boilin' water for Jesus!

contrary

Lady Lydia has posted a Q&A, FINALLY addressing all of those hot topics that EVERYBODY has been wanting to know for EVER.

Notably, if you really think (and take some time to unfleetingly ponder), you’ll realize that women in Victorian and Pioneer times wore “those dressesâ€, and still got shit done. Therefore, it’s plain to see that wearing “those dresses†is comfortable!

Also, when LL discusses things like boiling water? SHE IS DOING IT FOR JESUS. That’s how her blog is different from all of the other places that can tell you how to boil water.

Otherwise, SSDD regarding women’s equality, and the value of a college education.

homeliving.blogspot.com/2012/10/questions-and-answers-about-this-blog.html

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She could have done with going to uni and getting a degree in the hard sciences. I'm pretty sure that turning in a paper with "I think I think I think I think BIBLE" would see her failed pretty quickly. Mind you, if failed out of every course she'd just claim Christian persecution.

Also, women in past centuries did not sit down to tea unless they had a servant, or several of them, to do the work of the house. If they were anything like my paternal grandmother they gulped down a mug of tea, crammed in a pasty and went back to sweeping the factory floors while dreaming of a better life.

"Lady" Lydia really does think well of herself. A fake title *and* grandiose dreams of taking afternoon tea. Why idealise the values of people who would have looked down on you for a. not being of their social class and b. putting your name in print? Bloody odd.

The pioneer period in many countries, including South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Alaska, North and South America, various European countries; the time of settling a rough land and creating homes and cities, was all done during the time when women wore those dresses.

Oh joy! Colonialism AND sexist oppression! Woot!

She could have done with going to uni and getting a degree in the hard sciences. I'm pretty sure that turning in a paper with "I think I think I think I think BIBLE" would see her failed pretty quickly. Mind you, if failed out of every course she'd just claim Christian persecution.

Also, women in past centuries did not sit down to tea unless they had a servant, or several of them, to do the work of the house. If they were anything like my paternal grandmother they gulped down a mug of tea, crammed in a pasty and went back to sweeping the factory floors while dreaming of a better life.

"Lady" Lydia really does think well of herself. A fake title *and* grandiose dreams of taking afternoon tea. Why idealise the values of people who would have looked down on you for a. not being of their social class and b. putting your name in print? Bloody odd.

What does she want? A medal? As for "Those dresses" I used to work at the Renaissance Festival and found them to be quite comfy, although I'm not sure how I would have felt if I would have had to get down on my knees and scrub floors in it! Boiling water would be the least of my concerns. I think Jesus would be more impressed if she got off of her ass and fed the poor instead of "boiling water for Jesus!"

To be fair, doing everything, even the smallest act of daily life, with your mind on Jesus is pretty standard Christian spiritual fare (Therese of Lisieux is a very famous example), but the focus is on humility, not pride, and "Lady" Lydia fails, fails, fails.

Judging from her pictures, she is not wearing period clothing - at least not clothing that would've been worn during the day. She runs around in Victorian nightgowns, if you ask me. Of course, if it is to her taste, more power to her, but always this urge to make other people submit to her and be right all the time. So humble.

And it cant be written often enough if she should read here: Those paintings she uses as source/proof are idealizations of daily/country life and have nothing to do with the actual life of the people pictured in them, and also very little with the clothing they wore. The women who where poor enough to do their own housework (well over 90% of the population, obviously), would usually hike their skirts up and pin them at the waist when scrubbing floors and such, because if you've got one dress for daily wear and if you're lucky a second one for sundays, you sure as hell don't want it soaked!

And those dresses were worn with corsetts underneath. We should suggest that to her, you can't be properly feminine until your husband can span your waist with his hands and you faint frequently due to lack of proper blood circulation. It makes you so interesting, you see!

"those dresses", especially the white and light colored ones she seems to like (judging from the pictures) were worn by women who were wealthy and did little during the day. These are not the dresses of the working woman. And the only way that those delicate and light dresses were able to stay clean were by the labor of lower class women. Dresses had to be taken apart and meticulously washed and then re-assembled. Being a washerwoman was one of the worst jobs. You toiled 16-18 hours a day carrying water and washing clothes in caustic mixtures that wore your skin away. And for all the work you did you were barely paid a subsistence wage.

And those wealthy women didn't bother to raise their children, Nannies and tutors did that. They were often more concerned with social climbing, spending money, traveling and having affairs (when they could manage it).

This is what irritates me about these "women never worked" and "let's live like its the old days" women. Women ALWAYS worked. You cannot single out wealthy women and claim that all women had that life. Even women who didn't work outside the home toiled all day to keep the house (and farm) running. They didn't sit around thinking about Jeebus and the Bible. They were hauling water, making fires, and scrubbing and cooking and planting and canning and preserving. They spent all day running around like maniacs so that they families wouldn't starve. They did not wear pretty white dresses and sit on verandas reading the Bible to their adoring children.

Talk about looking at the past with Rose colored glasses.

I've never read this fundy before. Is this chick married? Kids? I can't imagine a man, even one who is super fundy, could tolerate her B.S. for very long.

Aaaahhhh, my beloved Lady Lydia! She was my gateway fundie! She's a crackpot, living in a fantasy Victorian world. All four of my great-grand mothers worked, as did both of my grandmothers, and none of them had time for afternoon tea. They were too busy working on a farm, washing dishes in a cafe, cooking in a cafe and a school, sewing clothes and washing the laundry they had to take in to make ends meet, and raising huge broods of children to indulge in silly frivolities like "afternoon tea." And as soon as they could ditch the long skirts and confining dresses and corsets, they did.

She's almost rabid on the idea that women and girls must stay home, and be protected from the outside world which is "preying" constantly on them. I genuinely wonder what happened to her, that she feels so deeply like she's prey and can only be safe at home. I cannot imagine what living with this woman would be like; it must be like living with a perpetual child.

.. in a girly world full of pink, ribbons, roses and glitter. Bleh.

She has grown-up children, hasn't she? I wonder which spell she put on her husband so he puts up with this particular kind of home décor.

She certainly has the rose tinted glasses on when looking at the past. Those pictures she has up are all about the romantic and idealized view of the time period. I think she'd be horrified to learn what life was really like back then.

When I first saw the subject line my mind flashed to the Flying Spaghetti Monster with the line "He boiled for your sins!"

And does she keep that bullshit of hers in her frilly dollar store basket that she totes around the house as well?

Lady Lydia wouldn't have been a Lady. It's far more likely that she would have been a peasant, or possibly a servant to a Lady.

She would have likely owned just a few practical, simple dresses with no frills, which she would have worn for long periods between washings. Maybe if she was really lucky she could afford a few frills, ribbons, or lace for one of her dresses.

She would have boiled water over a wood or coal oven with no nice temperature adjustment like she has now. She would have boiled that water to cook cheap soup to use up scraps of food, near-spoiled food, and tough meat from old animals that couldn't go to waste.

Women of that time period didn't have the time or energy to worry about how comfortable their dresses were.

I have commented that the ladies who had tea also had women downstairs cooking and cleaning and being oppressed for their benefit. She can't see that far and see the real truth. I've given her links to Victorian women's history. For a while she wouldn't post my comments then all of a sudden she does.

For someone who just turned 60 she seems like a much older woman to me. She grew up partially in Alaska, near the Turnigan Arm and also spent some time in Australia as a young women. Now she lives in Idaho I believe, that beehive of white supremacy.

:naughty:

She certainly doesn't behave like she had 60 years worth of time to accumulate wisdom, which is supposed to be the benefit of older age and a prerequisite to teach younger women.

Perhaps that means she's actually younger than 60... this way, it nearly sounds like a compliment.

Posts and posts about long, flowing dresses, the good old times, sparkly pinky crafts and having tea. Does she really think a good Christian woman doesn't need more than that? Is this Christian "mentoring"? I sew my own, long, flowing dresses Albeit black), I have tea frequently, mostly green tea and can keep my flat and myself in a tolerable condition. I learned to sew at my great-grandmother's knee who owned a costume rental and making tea by watching my mother one or two times. I suppose every women could learn everything on there with less hassle and damage to the eyes and mind elsewhere, so she could as well close up shop.

Unfortunately, she won't, because she thinks she is encouraging homemakers.

I guess I am an unequal heathen 'modern' who cannot fathom the great concept of biblical femininity.

I really don't want to re-read her blog, but is Lady Lydia the idiot who crams her kids on the couch and pretends like it's a shopping cart so they can play 'the shopping game', where she teaches them to hand out bible tracts and lecture people on Jebus?

I've read one of her son's blogs, and he is obsessive about his purity and the purity of his future wife. He has a purity ring with an inscription 'only his wife will ever read'. They really are a bizarre family, and very much under Lady Lydia's thumb. Not very Proverbs 31 of you, Lydia! Surely your headship should dictate where your sparkly spray-painted gourds should go and not you?

Don't even get me started on her wildly inaccurate views of Victoriana. She's lived in Australia? Yeah, I'd LOVE to see her last a week in her Victorian finery working an outback homestead up in the north. I can't believe someone like her ever lived here. I bet she was one of those jackasses who approved of kidnapping Aboriginal children to give them 'godly' white upbringings.

Wow, from the couple of posts I read I thought she was about 17 or something. I figured she must be some really naive and sheltered SAHD whose only connection with the outside world is through novels (and not even something good like Jane Austen, but those wholesome Christian novels that all occur in the past and are total idealizations of life back then... with a particular spin on finding Jesus).

I read one of those after buying it for a nickel. It was horrid but fascinating. I bought a few more but after 3 or 4 I couldn't take them anymore.

I have commented that the ladies who had tea also had women downstairs cooking and cleaning and being oppressed for their benefit. She can't see that far and see the real truth. I've given her links to Victorian women's history. For a while she wouldn't post my comments then all of a sudden she does.

:naughty:

She honestly has no interest in the reality of history. She lives in a world of make-believe and glittery roses, and refuses to see that women in the Victorian/Edwardian age were not all there along with her. Lydia is the one who made the comment that there were certainly slave owners who let their female slaves stay at home in their cabins all day, cooking, cleaning, and taking care of their children, making a beautiful house for their husbands, who came in from the fields tired and hungry. She absolutely insisted that there were slave owners who were "Christians" and thus "protected" their female slaves, and threw a hell of a tantrum when people tried to correct her. :shock:

She is also the person who was offended by the way female survivors of Katrina were dressed when they were rescued.....tee shirts and shorts. Sometimes no feel for reality.

She is also the person who was offended by the way female survivors of Katrina were dressed when they were rescued.....tee shirts and shorts. Sometimes no feel for reality.

I think it was phrased as "No wonder men don't respect women, if they go around dressed like that! And on public television too! How shameful!" As if the evacuees were dressing up just for the tv coverage. Not even a bit of compassion for them losing homes, possessions, and often family members.

I guess I am an unequal heathen 'modern' who cannot fathom the great concept of biblical femininity.

I really don't want to re-read her blog, but is Lady Lydia the idiot who crams her kids on the couch and pretends like it's a shopping cart so they can play 'the shopping game', where she teaches them to hand out bible tracts and lecture people on Jebus?

I've read one of her son's blogs, and he is obsessive about his purity and the purity of his future wife. He has a purity ring with an inscription 'only his wife will ever read'. They really are a bizarre family, and very much under Lady Lydia's thumb. Not very Proverbs 31 of you, Lydia! Surely your headship should dictate where your sparkly spray-painted gourds should go and not you?

Don't even get me started on her wildly inaccurate views of Victoriana. She's lived in Australia? Yeah, I'd LOVE to see her last a week in her Victorian finery working an outback homestead up in the north. I can't believe someone like her ever lived here. I bet she was one of those jackasses who approved of kidnapping Aboriginal children to give them 'godly' white upbringings.

I believe you're thinking of Sherry from Be A Living Sacrifice. I think Lady Lydia's kids are grown.

I think it was phrased as "No wonder men don't respect women, if they go around dressed like that! And on public television too! How shameful!" As if the evacuees were dressing up just for the tv coverage. Not even a bit of compassion for them losing homes, possessions, and often family members.

Didn't she and her husband also make a remark about women wearing white shorts and said it looked like they were wearing giant diapers?

It took me a while to dig up but in my first year of history in college we had to fill out a chart to figure out where we sould stand in Victorian/Edwardian society. This was all based on what our father's made and their place in the work force. The vast majority of the girls would either be nannies or servants. There was one or two prostitutes in there. There weren't any real ones high up on the social scale. The boys had just about the same rankings and "died" in WWI.

For the girls ranked as servants they had to start at the very bottom and work their way up. It was mentioned they were lucky if they didn't get caught up in an affair and/or raped by a male servant or one of the male members of the family.

Only one or two was able to make it up to the rank of lady's maid. About half never married and for those who did some "died" in childbirth. Others died from botched abortions.

My character got married at age 32 and later died in the Spanish Flu epidemic.

There was no mention of housekeeping or half of the stuff Lady Lydia spouts off. I do notice how it is not mentioned how many people were alcoholics and morphine addicts or the drugs that were widely used back then. Accidental suicides from over doses did happen. There's stories of a lot of prostitutes and other women dying as they took too much of some drug to keep from getting pregnant. There's also stories of women dying from botched abortions because they couldn't handle another arrow being crammed into that quiver.

LL may be boilin' water for Jebus but the true science is evident in her daughter Lillibeth's post. LL likes to hide her links, the one to Lillibeth's boiling water post is in line 2 on the word "here".

Before we leave LL, take note of this important piece of domestic science:

While it is possible to boil water for making tea in a large pan, or any cooking vessel with a lid, the tea kettle with its spout and lid are recommended because not too much steam will escape and the kettle will not boil dry, as it would in a mere pan.
So if you were planning on pulling out your stock pot to boil water for the tea pot you may wish to reconsider that.

Over at Lillibeth's we get the full score on boiling water http://www.thepleasanttimes.blogspot.co ... water.html

First of all we are advised that hot tap water is not boiling water! !!! Then, through a series of scientific photos, we are taken through simmering, boiling, rolling boil, turbulent -- like a stormy sea!

From this dissertation I think it's evident why godly daughters need to stay home and not go to college: heating water is a specialty that requires a concentrated domestic internship. Between that and skewlin the younger brothers and sisters what's a godly young woman to do?

You know the first thing feminists do to their victims is to deprive them of the ability to boil water. This is the heart of the culture war, people!

I always thought LL talked like she is 105, and not in a good way. "Back in my day, we didn't have running water and young people would never dreamed of having spoken disrespectfully to their parents and all the women stayed home and did the ironing properly."

Archived