IGNORED

Isn't the Serven wedding today?

WonderingInWA

I can imagine that David Waller studied the photo as a means of developing his one first kiss technique.

Somehow, I missed the Waller kiss. I think I was watching the live stream and finally just burned out -- there were so many people onstage and I got overwhelmed. But boy, that latest video of Prissy talking about the changing leaves -- did he know she was that stupid before he married her? Oh, yeah, that's right. They are fundies, so probably not.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bumping to add a link to a few more pics ~

framingcreationhjb.blogspot.com/2012/10/nathan-emily-serven.html

Good find, Marian! I like NR Emily -- she has a great smile (and it would appear she gets that from her mom). And it does look like she was wearing the NR at the wedding. Go Emily!

How old is the groom? He looks barely out of his teens.

Check the very first post in that servenclan blog, but I think the groom is around 30 by now.

ETA: I had a moment and checked. On Jan. 1, 2005 he was 22, so he's 29 now.

All the Servens tend to look much younger than they are.

I suspect NR Emily's gown is vintage. I remember seeing older cousins weàring similar frocks in the mid-1960s. I like it.

Check the very first post in that servenclan blog, but I think the groom is around 30 by now.

I suspect NR Emily's gown is vintage. I remember seeing older cousins weàring similar frocks in the mid-1960s. I like it.

Oh, vintage! I hadn't thought of that, but yes, I wonder if she wore a family gown or something she scored somewhere else. The fabric looks heavy and you don't really see that much in modern gowns. I didn't think the veil went with the gown very well, but I like that she had a wrist corsage at the reception -- nice touch.

From the engagement photos, this Emily is the one with the piercings and their registry indicated that she's a crunchy hippie. At most, she's fundie-lite. Good for him!

Do you have a link to their registry? I bet it isn't all beige!

This couple is really interesting. As the oldest Serven boy Nathan surely had some pressure to marry and begin with his 200 year plan, especially after his previous not-so-succesfull engagement. I thought he might marry someone way more fundy, someone like his sisters. I can never ever imagine NR Emily in the same family picture with Rebecca or Beth! I hope Nathan will go the fundie-lite route despite of what Daddy Serven wishes for his firstborn son. Oh to be the fly on the wall in the first family gathering with the new Mrs. Nathan Serven! 8-)

Based on the Serven offspring's publicly available wedding info (Beth, Rebecca, Peter, and now Nathan), there appears to be quite the gender-based double standard at work. Lots of "transfer of authority," living under the protection of a male headship, etc. for the daughters, while the sons seem to have much more freedom of choice when it comes to spouses and careers.

The dress is vintage... Passed down from her mother and grandmother.

Emily has become more conservative over the past 4 years or so. The nose ring was from a previous, less 'reformed' era. There has to be a reason the elder Servens are OK with the match.

The dress is vintage... Passed down from her mother and grandmother.

Emily has become more conservative over the past 4 years or so. The nose ring was from a previous, less 'reformed' era. There has to be a reason the elder Servens are OK with the match.

Ooo, are you an insider and you know this for fact?

Good thing I read the posts AFTER the pics before replying - I also had to squee at the vintage dress. Damn tequila... I had the name of that type of silk in my head and it fell out. I'm a bit of a dress junkie, which is why I'm focused on this detail more than any other. The proper names of the color would vary from "champagne" - prob. what they would call it today - to "oyster" to "candle light" - prob. what they would have called it then. Dammit, this is going to bug the shit out of me, trying to think of the name of that silk. But even without the mother/grandmother sentiment, perfect choice for the token Serven hippie. YAY for nostril rings and rainbow streamers! This could be why there was no live feed - maybe Emily is too much of a live wire. God knows what could have been revealed on teh internetz if any rebels acted up. Shit, now I have it - it's raw silk. God, the shit we can't think of under the influence. I wonder if this is what drinking the Kool-Aid is like.

Good thing I read the posts AFTER the pics before replying - I also had to squee at the vintage dress. Damn tequila... I had the name of that type of silk in my head and it fell out. I'm a bit of a dress junkie, which is why I'm focused on this detail more than any other. The proper names of the color would vary from "champagne" - prob. what they would call it today - to "oyster" to "candle light" - prob. what they would have called it then. Dammit, this is going to bug the shit out of me, trying to think of the name of that silk. But even without the mother/grandmother sentiment, perfect choice for the token Serven hippie. YAY for nostril rings and rainbow streamers! This could be why there was no live feed - maybe Emily is too much of a live wire. God knows what could have been revealed on teh internetz if any rebels acted up. Shit, now I have it - it's raw silk. God, the shit we can't think of under the influence. I wonder if this is what drinking the Kool-Aid is like.

But the raw silk is the more textured kind, not the smooth look of her dress, right? Honestly, I thought her dress was probably satin -- it looks heavier than silk to me. But, what do I know. And yes, I was going to say oyster or champagne. The dress is cool, but I didn't like the veil -- it looked too white and didn't match the era of the dress.

But the raw silk is the more textured kind, not the smooth look of her dress, right? Honestly, I thought her dress was probably satin -- it looks heavier than silk to me. But, what do I know. And yes, I was going to say oyster or champagne. The dress is cool, but I didn't like the veil -- it looked too white and didn't match the era of the dress.

It could be dupioni silk which would be fairly heavy, but it does look too shiny for that. It's probably just satin as you said.

Duchess Satin. Although, could be a peau de soi but that is usually less shiny. Definitely not Dupioni. That has an obvious textured line running through it.

Hate it. It's too heavy for her. Veil is all wrong. I was thinking it might be tea length given he is more casually attired. But no. He should have been dressed up a notch to match. Cream shirt and tie with tux.

He's cute. She's pretty. They will make gorgeous kids. Hopefully, all with nose rings.

Gah. Never try to decipher photos of fabric when drinking. The pics in the link show one of them at the altar, and the side/back - definitely textured. No idea what it is now that the tequila has left my bloodstream, too lazy to go back and look again, but it's not your standard bridal satin.

Bumping to report that there are (finally) a few pics on the Serven Clan's blog. Looks like Doug Philips (is a tool) was there, possibly to perform the ceremony.

Good job, Marian!

Yep, looks like Dougie was there. And then Steven Loomis is standing right next to him with what appears to be a baby on his shoulders. Certainly that can't be his and Rebecca's son, can it? I don't remember how old he is but generally speaking I don't think you should put an infant on your shoulders, should you?

And in that first photo of Beth, that's the first time I've ever seen her look genuinely happy.

And way to go, Emily! She did wear her nose ring on wedding day! Woop!

Thanks for the heads up, Marian!

Baby Praise - er, Nehemiah - was born June 14, so he's all of four months old now. Were BigMJB in the crowd and saw Loomis pere handling a four-month-old baby like that, she'd've very politely gone up, secured the baby and kicked Loomis in the shins ... well, verbally. That's too young to hold a baby like that. My opinion as well as my late mom's and I'm not backing down.

Isn't it interesting how there are several photos of the bride & groom and the tenDolles, but none of b&g and the Loomii? Ah, family dynamics. Probably means nothing, there are only so many photo-posting hours in the day, no?

I don't like the photo of the young Serven uncle pinning his niece's arms down to kiss her on the lips. BigMJB was a bug about kissing -- plenty of places to do it other than on the lips, especially to little children, she would say. I don't like that it looks like Uncle Drewel* is making the girl sit still for the kiss/photo. Just my crabby attitude. Others will doubtless think it the epitome of innocence and cute-ity. Room for all kinda mileage. ;)

*Because I can't keep the bonus boys straight. One is Andrew (aka Drewster) and one is Joel (occasionally aka Joely-boy) so Drewel they become.

Emily is such a wonderful, strong-looking woman. Love the nosering!

She's a very interesting addition to the Serven family. I continue to think that homeschooling will not be a given for her, considering her own public-schooled background. Imagine what kind of drama Serven grandchildren attending public school will cause.

Emily is such a wonderful, strong-looking woman. Love the nosering!

She's a very interesting addition to the Serven family. I continue to think that homeschooling will not be a given for her, considering her own public-schooled background. Imagine what kind of drama Serven grandchildren attending public school will cause.

I'm almost positive Emily will home school. You have to keep in mind she has gotten quite a bit more conservative/fundy in the past few years. The nose ring is from a previous time. I'm suprised she's still wearing it.

She has gotten well into the theonomy movement.

Even if Emily is more conservative now than before, this new lifestyle could be a passing phase for her. At least that's what I am hoping. She seems to cool to stay in.

I'm almost positive Emily will home school. You have to keep in mind she has gotten quite a bit more conservative/fundy in the past few years. The nose ring is from a previous time. I'm suprised she's still wearing it.

She has gotten well into the theonomy movement.

How do you know her past? I haven't seen anything on her -- she just showed up. How do we know she was public-school educated?

Someone linked her facebook in an old post. IIRC, she was a graduate of a public HS, has a degree from a religious college, and has studied abroad in two countries, Spain and...Egypt, I think. She came off as much more independent and worldly (in the sense of "sophisticated") than your average fundie. Oh, and she has a job, too.

Archived