Lillian

I mentioned in the other thread that I discovered Anne when I got the copy my grandma received as a graduation present. That copy is pretty battered, so I have a paperback copy for reading. All my others are also paperbacks. 

The funny thing is, when I got my grandma's copy AofGG, it came with another book she also received as a graduation gift--The Little French Girl (by another author whose name I've forgotten). I could quickly tell which book she had read more  often by the condition of each book. Anne was clearly her favorite of the two.

8 hours ago, Karma said:

I absolutely loved the Anne books when I was young.  My nan had kept my mums set, and I read them, then my own daughter read them when she was younger.  I've still got them, except for the first one, which I reluctantly lent to mums friend for her daughter. After a couple of months I nagged mum to ask for it back, and the friend admitted she'd thrown it out - mum mustn't have made it clear that I wanted it back, and it was an old, somewhat tatty book.  She bought me a lovely new one, but I wasn't happy!

Anyway, since I'm not bitter and twisted  30 or so years later, I'm not going to mention my mismatched set again...

I could still cry today if I read the bit where Anne's first baby, Joy, died.

I had a similar thing happen to me:  My Grandmother gave me her prized copy of Little Women that HER grandmother had given to her.  I let someone  borrow it and she lost it. The girl never really apologized, although she did show up at my house one day with a random book to give me instead because her mother made her. My Grandma was quite upset about the loss too (even though she tried to not give me too much grief about it)and there wasn't a darned thing I could do about it.  I still feel guilty for having leant out the book, but I was a child and I didn't realize that other people don't always take as good care of things as you might wish. 

I did have a copy of Anne of Green Gables as a kid and I have to confess (speaking in a very soft voice because I know she is beloved by many) that I hated it.  Just found the character nothing but annoying.

I saw the Megan Followes version on TV later and didn't hate it quite as much (probably had more to do with the actor playing Gilbert being a semi hottie)  

I went to PEI a few years ago (its beautiful) and found the whole Anne industry quite hilarious.  Advertisements for weddings with an Anne theme, souvenir cordial for sale, and my favourite, a tour of Green Gables itself where you can "see the "actual" slate Gilbert broke over Anne's head". Um, hello, FICTIONAL people cannot break "actual" slates over anybody, duh!  

I got the 8 Anne books as a collection for Kindle recently. So I am finishing a re-read of the whole series. I'm nearly to the end of Rilla of Ingleside now. That was always my favorite after the first one, and it still holds up for me. 

Oh, I love Anne! Rilla of Ingleside is my favorite (I always cry when Jem comes back from the war and Dog Monday has been waiting for years for him to come home...!), but I also love Anne of the Island and Anne's House of Dreams. I have tried so hard to get my girls interested in them, but so far: no luck.

But like many of you--Emily was my favorite. I read her before I read Anne.

I love Anne.  I read them all as a child, many times over as an adult, and have read them aloud to my 3 oldest girls.  My second daughter and I love them best, and so I have 'one on one' time with my kids, we have a 'read aloud' night (just me and one child) once a week.  My second daughter is 15, but we are reading Anne of Ingleside right now.  She wants to complete the series with me again, for the 3rd time.  I've worn out 4 sets of Anne books in my life, reading and re reading.

As to the movies, only the 1980s ones are good.  Anne of Green Gables, and Anne of Avonlea (the original titles).  The third is horrendous, I won't watch it.  And the prequel just destroys the Anne story altogether.  But the books are a thousand times better than the movies. 

I would love to go to PEI! 

On 3/1/2016 at 3:21 PM, louisa05 said:

I got the 8 Anne books as a collection for Kindle recently. So I am finishing a re-read of the whole series. I'm nearly to the end of Rilla of Ingleside now. That was always my favorite after the first one, and it still holds up for me. 

I just got the Kindle set today! I'm pretty excited to re-(rerererererere)read them. It's probably been almost 10 years.

11 hours ago, OddlyAmused said:

I just got the Kindle set today! I'm pretty excited to re-(rerererererere)read them. It's probably been almost 10 years.

How much were they?

I loved the Megan Follows Anne mini-series or movie or whatever you want to call it from back in the 80s. I look forward to PBS fundraising season because oftentimes they'll replay it. I love, love, love the background music to the movie, too. It just touches me in a way that no other show's music has ever done before.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2011 at 4:14 AM, Lillian said:

Does anybody else hate 'The Continuing Story' and 'A New Beginning'??

Yes. It's like the movie studio had some random script lying around and they thought "What the heck, we can't figure out what to do with this script. I know. We'll just slap the name Anne of Green Gables on it and the public will never notice that these movies bear no resemblance to the actual books." 

I don't recall every saying "What the hell is happening right now" so many times while watching TV as I did while watching this. 

Archived