TXDuck

So we were at the library today, the public library. (Because we're godless heathens, church membership notwithstanding.) And this series caught my 10 year old daughter's eye. My first response was "What is that tripe doing in a public library. Then I told Daughter she couldn't read them. I've never told her that before. I've told her when you're older but never no outright.

Of course she asked why and I told her. Bad theology, it's meant to make you think you should submit to bad people just because they're men. I told her I think the books would upset her.

But now I'm wondering if I knee-jerked too hard. She's a smart kid, very independent, very sure of herself, budding feminist. But still, she's ten. And some things she's too young to really think through.

Thoughts? Anyone else ever told their kid they couldn't read something.

Meant to add this to the last post but my kindle is being difficult.

She was upset to the point of tears when I explained that even today there are people that think women should submit to men just because they're women.

That's a hard one TXDuck. When I was a kid, if someone told me not to read something, it became SUPER attractive to me, and I would find a way to read it on the sly (I was able to get to the library alone). Your daughter won't be able to sneak it alone, but I wonder if it's worth reading one book with her together and pointing out the flaws as you go along? What you did would have been my first instinct as well, but these idiot books could wind up being "forbidden fruit".

FWIW, I seriously doubt a book will be able to influence her into submission since she is old enough to understand just how dangerous the concept is.

That's a hard one TXDuck. When I was a kid, if someone told me not to read something, it became SUPER attractive to me, and I would find a way to read it on the sly (I was able to get to the library alone). Your daughter won't be able to sneak it alone, but I wonder if it's worth reading one book with her together and pointing out the flaws as you go along? What you did would have been my first instinct as well, but these idiot books could wind up being "forbidden fruit".

FWIW, I seriously doubt a book will be able to influence her into submission since she is old enough to understand just how dangerous the concept is.

Huh, these are all good points. If she expresses any more desire to read them, I think we will read one together.

I agree with AreteJo, read the books with her and explain why things have (or haven't) changed since the book was written. Ask her why she things the things in the book are not condoned in today's society. Might make an interesting social studies/history lesson.

Have to agree with the coyote. If I found a book I wanted to read, and my parents told me no, it would have been the first thing I picked up. I think reading through the first one with her might be a really good idea.

I don't think you should ever ban books from children. I would read it with her. She sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders and isn't going to swallow the book's 'message'.

Huh, these are all good points. If she expresses any more desire to read them, I think we will read one together.

I think that's an excellent idea. A lot of fundie parenting seems to be based on "I told you this, therefore you accept it as fact,", but that's not a way to raise children (unless you want to raise perpetual victim). I agree with the other posters that telling her it's off limits will just increase her curiosity, reading it with her will expose her to ideas you disagree with but you'll be right there to swat them down.

Fundie parenting says worldly things can damage your children, so hide them from bad influences (and most of the world). Real parenting says your children will grow into a world full of dangers, it's your job to prepare them what to do if/when they encounter them. You won't always be there to tell your daughter what not to read, but you can teach her lessons now that will allow her to detect bullshit when she's older and reading books she picked out for herself.

Archived