IGNORED

A GAME OF THRONES

Lillybee

I had free HBO for a weekend and caught the last episode of A Game of Thrones. I was so impressed that I bought the book and loved it.

I'm currently resisting the temptation to snatch our copy of A Dance With Dragons before my husband reads it. (He bought it, so it's only fair that he reads it first.)

Loved the HBO series. It's been years since I read the first four books so the series did a good job reigniting my interest in the book series. Plus, as an old fan, it's been pretty cool (and occasionally amusing) to see new fans discovering the books through the HBO series.

I'm a new fan via hbo too. Went out and bought the 4 and am waiting for A Dance With Dragons to be available at the library or in paperback. As much as I want to devour it right now, I don't have the cashmoney to buy a hardback! But it looks gigantic, perhaps it would be worth it...

Anyway. Some of the casting I didn't like once I started reading the books, but I thought Emilia Clarke as Daenerys was excellent.

Anyway. Some of the casting I didn't like once I started reading the books, but I thought Emilia Clarke as Daenerys was excellent.

What casting didn't you like? You'll have noticed that most of the characters in the TV series were aged up from the books. Dany was, I think, about five years older in the TV series. Among old fans of the books, most of the grumbling was over Mark Addy (too short) and Michelle Fairley (too old, too plain). Some fans complained about the actor who played Renly and Loras, too. And there's been a considerable amount of complaining about Lena Headey's portrayal of Cersei but I think that might be a writing/acting complaint more than a casting complaint. Overall, though, I think most fans appreciated how closely the series hewed to the books.

I'm in the middle of Clash of Kings. These are not books I devour, but I still enjoy it. It's probably a good thing because doesn't he take like 20 years to write each book?

I'm one of the people who saw the series and got hooked. I'm a sucker for "hysterical" dramas and I have been an ardent fan of Sean Bean since he played 006 in Goldeneye. I had to read the book! In fact, it was my excuse to buy a Kindle - heh.

I just started reading Game of Thrones. It's really an interesting read but slow for me. I haven't watched the series yet. After I'm done with the book. :)

"A Song of Ice and Fire" will likely never be finished. I love the series, but decided that I'm not buying "Dance With Dragons". It was six years between "Feast" and "Dragons" even though "Dragons" was allegedly almost finished. George RR Martin is 62 years old, in poor health, and has ordered that all notes for ASOIAF be destroyed upon his death. The HBO series is well done, but I'm not optimistic about the outlook for it or the books.

"A Song of Ice and Fire" will likely never be finished. I love the series, but decided that I'm not buying "Dance With Dragons". It was six years between "Feast" and "Dragons" even though "Dragons" was allegedly almost finished. George RR Martin is 62 years old, in poor health, and has ordered that all notes for ASOIAF be destroyed upon his death. The HBO series is well done, but I'm not optimistic about the outlook for it or the books.

Other than the obvious (he's overweight), what makes you say he's in poor health? Honestly, even if it takes him ten years to finish the last two books, I see no reason to think he won't be up and running at 72 (well, perhaps not, running.) Poor George. All this speculation about his death is rather morbid.

On another note, check out this weird video:

(yes, it's Game of Thrones related.)

Goyangi--because he's always sick! Most of his diet seems to be pizza and he takes no exercise. So not only is he 62, he's 62 with an unhealthy lifestyle. Plus, we don't know if there will be only two more books (remember, "Dance/Feast" was supposed to be only one) and his work ethic isn't the best--Tivo'ing every single NFL game and watching every one isn't conducive to getting work done.

All this is from his LiveJournal, it's not rumour.

What casting didn't you like? You'll have noticed that most of the characters in the TV series were aged up from the books. Dany was, I think, about five years older in the TV series. Among old fans of the books, most of the grumbling was over Mark Addy (too short) and Michelle Fairley (too old, too plain). Some fans complained about the actor who played Renly and Loras, too. And there's been a considerable amount of complaining about Lena Headey's portrayal of Cersei but I think that might be a writing/acting complaint more than a casting complaint. Overall, though, I think most fans appreciated how closely the series hewed to the books.

Yeah I wasn't a fan of Michelle Fairley or the guy who plays Renly. In my head Renly was much prettier and more fabulous. Lena Headey and Mark Addy are fine, and the kid who played Joffrey (Jack Gleeson?) was excellent. I think maybe my biggest casting complaint is Kit Harington. Something about him just seems distinctly not Jon-Snowish. But I'm sure everyone has their own personal opinions regarding casting, those are jmho. Overall I think it is pretty well done. I really like the opening credits too!

On another note? Watching with my Dad was totally awkward -- all the no holds barred sexy times! haha, guess I shoulda figured that from reading the books and knowing HBO.

I think maybe my biggest casting complaint is Kit Harington. Something about him just seems distinctly not Jon-Snowish.

He was much more baby-faced than I had in mind in the book.

Can we talk about Theon? TV show Theon? Suh-woon.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone seems to be loving this show... My friend even told me to go buy the books. But I don't understand. :?

Somebody mind explaining to me what it's about before I go to the bookstore, please??

Guest Anonymous
Everyone seems to be loving this show... My friend even told me to go buy the books. But I don't understand. :?

Somebody mind explaining to me what it's about before I go to the bookstore, please??

It's an epic fantasy/intrigue series. It's one of those situations where there are a lot of people with different motivations and it can be difficult to sort out the white hats from the black hats. Not to mention that characters often switch hats. Add in creepy, scary wights, the walking dead, dragons, royal bastards, pretenders to the throne, bad ass women, a soupçon of incest, and murders galore.

And that's the best I can do without writing for pages and pages. :P

I heard it mentioned on this site, and decided to check out an episode or two and ended up watching the entire first season in two days, totally cheering on Arya.

He was much more baby-faced than I had in mind in the book.

Can we talk about Theon? TV show Theon? Suh-woon.

After a certain scene in one of the books... I totally just threw up in my mouth a little.

I actually think the Theon in my mind while reading the books was more attractive than TV- Theon. Strictly in external looks though. Nothing to do with ..personality. I kinda got that "rakish good looks" vibe from him even though

he's a total fucking asshole.

Archived