IGNORED

WHAT are the seven sisters prattling on about?

HoneyBunny

I would have been all over this... when I was in elementary school. I used to love making lists and plans and organizing everything. My family took a lot of road trips, so I had a journal where I recorded all of them. Usually my lists for road trips revolved around which stuffed animals I would bring and where THEY would sit in the car (I would try to pack in as many as possible). I would also inventory which stuffed animals my siblings were bringing and probably called "official meetings" to do that because that was fun, as a kid. Then during the trip, the stuffed animals would write in the journal about what we were doing. But the seven sisters are all teens/in their twenties, I think...

The ending with the girl asking to open the window was kind-of funny but I'm not even sure they intended it to be.

Elsie Dinsmore is a terribly boring book about a perfectly Godly girl. In the first book her father forces her to play piano until she is so tired that she falls asleep, bangs her head on the piano, and doesn't wake up for a few days. He is so impressed by the "miracle" of her survival (um hello, just ignore the fact that your excellent parenting caused this accident) that he is SAVED!!!111!!1eleventy! I hope I got that story right. It was the only mildly interesting part of the book. I read the A Life of Faith edited version, but I know the original was pretty racist. I imagine it's kind-of like the 19th century version of the Moody books, because NOTHING HAPPENS because Elsie is too Godly to do wrong. (ETA: There are more books after the first one and then there are books about her descendants. There was also a doll line, A Life of Faith, that went out of business, but they republished the books - heavily edited - and wrote some new ones for new doll characters who I think were all minor characters in the existing stories. I have one of them, not sure if that was a great idea to give them my money, but they were pretty and I had admired them for a long time so I got one during the closing sale. :oops: I got Laylie who was a slave who was freed and SAVED!!111!! by one of Elsie's relatives. She has a new, less fundy backstory in my house. Of course, being the only non-white doll in the collection, she was also the only one who went on sale. :roll: )

They're so isolated that they can't seem to grasp the concept of "you had to be there".

I run into that a lot with a homeschooling family I know; the kids start going on about incomprehensible shit that they think is hysterically funny, and the parents always have to explain "[EscapedCardinal] wasn't there" to them when they see the WTF look on my face.

Never heard of Jostie Flicks, the makers of that fine clip who seem to bill their work proudly as "Made by homeschoolers." I suppose that might explain the resemblance to the creative output of my friends, the aforementioned family, with the straw-man arguments and awkward speech patterns.

Seating positions in the van for the upcoming family trip to Florida (get ready to be defrauded by another photo of Momma Seven Sisters in workout clothes). Complete with a seating chart. Really.

I see the seating chart, but no Momma Seven Sisters.

They remind me a bit of badly written children's books. Where every moment of the day fills an entire chapter. And you want to die before the book ends.

This.

Why did I read the whole thing? I thought it might get interesting...... :snort:

Anyone see the Video they posted, kinda funny but like the seven sisters; kinda corny and just didn't go anywhere...

I made it like 30 seconds and then was so bored I quit watching. Did it ever have any sort of point?

How old are they meant to be? The way it is written and the things the girls talk about suggests its a blog by a 10 year old girl, about her younger siblings.

Why are fundie adults so immature?

Actually, there is no comparison between the Moodys and Elsie Dinsmore: Elsie Dinsmore is ten times worse! I hate to defend Sarah Maxwell's atrocious writing, but at least from the samples I've seen the parents are not downright abusive. Before Horace (Elsie's father's) conversion, he was verbally, emotionally, and almost got physically abusive with Elsie. And he was a control freak. After his conversion, he was still all these things. He never threatens to hit Elsie again, but There's an incident in the spinoff Mildred series where Horace asks little Horace Junior (he marries and Elsie gets a little brother) to get his newspaper for him. Little Horace refuses, so Horace Sr. proceeds to whip Little Horace until Little Horace gets the newspaper. Elsie is then punished (not physically) for interfering with the beating of Little Horace because "Elsie needs to learn not to interfere with punishment" and this is regarded as A Great Sin on her part.

Elsie Dinsmore is more interesting than the Moodys, because more does happen, but on the whole, I think I'd rather stomach the Moodys.

(Elsie, Violet and Mildred are the only original characters: Martha Finley never wrote of a Kathleen or Laylie. I have Laylie, but I didn't get her from the company, so no need to feel guilty. In my house, she has a less fundy version of her story as well, though I decided to leave her Christian.)

I made it like 30 seconds and then was so bored I quit watching. Did it ever have any sort of point?

No. Just that you should let your friends set you up on dates or something.

Holy crap, their spelling and grammar are atrocious! "Pinking sheers"? "Sissors"? "Your done"?? WTF.

I will never understand why Mama gets to wear workout clothes and the Sisters have to wear frumpers and head coverings.

I run into that a lot with a homeschooling family I know; the kids start going on about incomprehensible shit that they think is hysterically funny, and the parents always have to explain "[EscapedCardinal] wasn't there" to them when they see the WTF look on my face.

Never heard of Jostie Flicks, the makers of that fine clip who seem to bill their work proudly as "Made by homeschoolers." I suppose that might explain the resemblance to the creative output of my friends, the aforementioned family, with the straw-man arguments and awkward speech patterns.

I think it's in the intros someplace but there is a supposedly funny story about burning something in the oven....oh boy they must be hard up for laughs in that place.

Holy crap, their spelling and grammar are atrocious! "Pinking sheers"? "Sissors"? "Your done"?? WTF.

I will never understand why Mama gets to wear workout clothes and the Sisters have to wear frumpers and head coverings.

Some kind of stockholm syndrome seems to me.

How much more certification can Mommy need? Must be nice Mommy gets a week away from her kids while Daddy takes the girls to the beach(yes, they have frumper swimwear) or to super exciting places like to get 1 sub they all split(this happened I think when they were in Boston, 1 12 inch sub for everyone to try :/)

I tried to find this on the blog but couldn't locate it. Any clues?

Where can I find the "mom in workout clothes" pictures? Apparently they are either gone/taken down or my browser won't open them.

OK, someone please explain why Mom needs certification. Does she actually teach?

Archived