IGNORED

Bateses start a church

ophelia

Oh for fuck's sake, what does Gil know about being a pastor? The hubris is astonishing. I guess he thought having a lot of kids and sponging off Lawson qualifies him to be the spiritual leader of a congregation. I'm offended by this and I'm an atheist!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keeping your wife knocked up doesnt mean jebus blessed you with his word. It also doesnt mean that you have anything productive to share with the world. Your house was build and made liveable by TLC. Your son buys most of your food. Exactly what qualifies him to offer advice to others?

I have 2 dogs. I havent managed to kill either of them by feeding them chocolate, aspririn, onions etc. Why? Because I googled and spoke to my vet about how to care for them. Can I give basic advice, sure. But letting Gil lead a "flock" at church is like letting an animal hoarder run a training class.

Isn't that the truth? I would NEVER entrust my cat's healthcare to someone who keeps 20 of them in a 600 sq ft apartment, but people are going to go to Bates's church because he hoards children. :angry-banghead:

I wonder if this will be a new form of income for them. Support the pastor/parsonage, etc? Tithing?

Income and a way to stash money tax free.

Oh... I guess I figured his church was just his family. :doh: Kind of like how the Duggars claim their house is a church - I thought they did that because they have so many flippin' kids that it's cheaper to just preach to them than haul them around every Sunday. Do people actually go to these "churches"? I mean, outside non-family people?

Oh... I guess I figured his church was just his family. :doh: Kind of like how the Duggars claim their house is a church - I thought they did that because they have so many flippin' kids that it's cheaper to just preach to them than haul them around every Sunday. Do people actually go to these "churches"? I mean, outside non-family people?

The Duggars do not claim their house as a church.

Maybe they're hoping for another season of United Bates of America, in addition to a new source of income for Gil and Nathan?

Did anyone hear anything about Erin possibly courting that Paine guy who was on their show?

Maybe they're hoping for another season of United Bates of America, in addition to a new source of income for Gil and Nathan?

Did anyone hear anything about Erin possibly courting that Paine guy who was on their show?

They can hide all their current income in a religious non profit maximizing their income. They can be part of the 47% YIPEEE.

The Duggar home as tax exempt is a rumor that will not die. They also haven't held church in their living room in quite awhile. They graduated to aseparate house and now what looks like a warehouse.

Church of the Holy Progesterone.

It's gotta be a tax write off now, cult in a year, Jonestown situation in a few decades kind of deal.

The Duggar home as tax exempt is a rumor that will not die. They also haven't held church in their living room in quite awhile. They graduated to aseparate house and now what looks like a warehouse.

My bad - I read that on ONTD (not here)

Let's all rejoice. This means Bayley will be able to deduct her 'donations'.

Praise Jeebus for Sister Bayley and her fellowship with Pastor Gil and the Missus.

Oh dear, I think I'm about to puke.

It seems they started their "church" with the blessings and support of their former pastor, so I think it's probably a combination of a tax write off and capitalising on the families high profile to lure leghumpers into the IFB/ ATI fold.

Maybe Gil is going to give the tree service to the a few of the older boys to run and Gil will need a new source of income. Plus can Gil do trees till he is 70? It does seem like part is hard labor and he will have to work till at least 70 if they are still trying for #20. Does Gil have to pay into SS for retirement being self employed? would he have enough quarters of work from his nabsico days to get a monthly check and medicare.

One of my oldest friend's husband left a great career to be a pastor last year. His salary is 1/5 of what it used to be but my friend is surviving on the free casseroles, hand me down clothes, free medical advice from a NP who is a member and used her fireplace a whole lot last winter. I can see Gil loving these type of benefits of being the pastor, all the freebies the adoring members will give him.

My tutor at horticultural college said that tree surgery is such hard physical work that you can't carry on much past 40. He said that after the age of 40 you want to be managing the business and sending other people up the trees.

We've already seen His hand of provision in so many ways! Our Still Waters Church family and Pastor Gwinn donated our keyboard! Pastor Mike Samples of New Testament Baptist donated 100 hymnals!

Sounds like he's been taking lessons from Jim-Bob..... and I bet the Donation Plate goes around each week just the same, so they can fund The Bateses newest exploit of which they can't actually afford... :evil:

Yet another thing they used to say they wouldn't do, but are doing anyway. They are identifying their church as IFB. This weekend, my BIL's new girlfriend was talking about how she was raised IFB. She attended a school run by the church. At one point, they punished children who touched the opposite sex--she got demerits for tapping a boy on the shoulder to ask him to retrieve a fallen pencil. She ended up getting a scholarship to a state university. Once she got there, she had repeated panic attacks whenever she encountered anything different from what she was taught. She panicked when the orientation leaders announced that condom machines had been installed in the bathrooms. She panicked when guys on her floor were passed out drunk in the hallways. She panicked when her Catholic roommate hung a rosary over a desk. She ended up dropping out before Welcome Week was over. Today, she is agnostic, has a masters degree, and is dating a Jew.

When did they say that? (I haven't been able to watch their show)

I don't understand why everyone is saying he has no reason to do it. I thought that in protestantism, being a pastor is something that is open to anyone, because there should not be anyone between you and god, and what matters is your study of the Bible (hence Gothard being between them and God IMO).

I am sure the TLC contract helped taking that decision to have a tax write-off.

I dunno I feel that at least they are not "home churching" a concept I find really stupid, particularly how the Duggars are doing it.

They never said it on the show. They've said it in the comments of their blog, whenever people asked if they would start a church.

They never said it on the show. They've said it in the comments of their blog, whenever people asked if they would start a church.

*shrug* they're not politicians, I think it really does not matter if they change their minds... Just like I said 5 years ago I'd never be vegan, and now I am. You just don't know where life brings you (or when opportunities open).

Archived