IGNORED

Call the Midwife (on PBS in the US)

gardenvarietycitizen

I’ve mentioned here before that I was a home birth in UK in 1966. And the midwife arrived on a bicycle. Not in London and in much better circumstances than the Poplar slums. But the uniforms, equipment, techniques etc were very similar according to my mum. 

• Upvote 4

I'm on my second viewing of the Season 7 Christmas special this evening and it's fantastic!  And sad.  I cried during one part.  

• Upvote 1

It turns out that the episode last night was NOT the Christmas Special but the first episode of Season 7.  It was followed by second episode.  I was thrown off by the fact that London was still in the grips of the winter of '62/'63 which was the coldest winter in Britain in 300 years.

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2018 at 5:44 AM, Blahblah said:

I’ve mentioned here before that I was a home birth in UK in 1966. And the midwife arrived on a bicycle. Not in London and in much better circumstances than the Poplar slums. But the uniforms, equipment, techniques etc were very similar according to my mum. 

I can't remember if I  mentioned this before, but I did my teaching practice for what was then called a Cert. Ed. (1 year training post BA) in Poplar in the 70s.  A few Sisters of St. John the Divine were still around, but only just.  I think they closed in Poplar the following year.  They practiced more as District Nurses and health educators than midwives by that time.  They stood out because of that distinctive habit and those very unflattering veils.  

11 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

It turns out that the episode last night was NOT the Christmas Special but the first episode of Season 7.  It was followed by second episode.  I was thrown off by the fact that London was still in the grips of the winter of '62/'63 which was the coldest winter in Britain in 300 years.

Darn it, I missed it!  I'll have to watch it later on line.  Go ahead and discuss it though.  I won't look back here until I've seen it. :)

• Upvote 2

@Palimpsest, you might want to check the listings for your local PBS affiliate to see if its being repeated later this week.   I know ours is re-showing it on Thursday evening

• Thank You 1

Loved the husband's speech to his wife on her deathbed.  :crying-yellow:

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

Tonight was Episode 7 of Series 7 and I am not ashamed to say that I cried my eyes out:

This under a spoiler so don't read this unless you don't mind or you've already seen the episode.

Spoiler

Barbara's meningococcal  septicemia took a turn for the worse.  Tom was reciting the 23rd Psalm and got to the "valley of the shadow" part and Phyllis had to finish.  Yes, Barbara is gone.

The Season 7 finale is next week.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 2

Tonight was the season finale of Series 7.  

Under spoiler for the same reasons last week:

Spoiler

The episode started with Barbara's funeral.  Phyllis read a poem right before the coffin was taken to the churchyard for burial.  A baby started to cry and the mom was going to take the baby out, but Phyllis asked them to stay.  I loved that!   The TV in Nonnatus House was on the fritz (cathode tube blown) and so Sister Monica Joan went to the movies so that she might watch the newsreel.  The manager tells her that the newsreel are complementary only for people who pay admission.  The feature is It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World,  The manager brings Sister Monica Joan free refreshments.  Why does Sr. Monica Joan need to watch the newsreels?  The next morning at chapel, Sister Monica Joan hands Sister Winifred the list of intentions that they are to pray for:  the elections in Dumfriesshire, the striking nylon workers, and the health of Spencer Tracy.  At the end of It's a Mad, Mad Mad, Mad World, Spencer Tracy along with most of the rest of the cast is in traction.  

Reggie is helping his Uncle Fred plant some tulips on on his mom's IVy's grave when he sees Barbara's grave nearby.  He says that Ivy will keep her company.  Later on, Reggie gives Tom a carousel to put on Barbara's grave.  One of the birthing women is confronted by her dad's boyfriend who has dementia.  She learns to accept Donald as a member of the family.  One of the other moms -a teenager who is giving her baby up for adoption- decides to name the baby Barbara.  Phyllis is her midwife. btw.   Valerie, Lucille and Sister Winifred throw Sister Monica Joan a wonderful birthday party with a movie about Monica Joans's life: childhood, taking her vows,  scenes from the Blitz, scenes of the sisters post-war with babies they'd delivered and so on.  

Next season,  there are three new sisters at Nonnatus House.  

Can't wait till next Spring!

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

Spoiler

I even knew that was coming for the last four weeks and I still cried. I’ve really liked all the nuns and midwives on this show. I wish Trixie had been in this episode.

• Upvote 2

Oh my goodness there's a thread for everything. This is my favorite show and I don't know anyone else who watches it (though I'm about to pull out the DVDs and make my roomate watch it). I'm a super fan... And I may even go visit the set in Kent come August! 

I still haven't watched the series 7 finale. The second-to-last episode tore me up and I was sobbing so hard. Anyway, hopefully I'll be around to commentate on the next Christmas special & series 8 with you all!

• Upvote 2
  • Love 2

14 minutes ago, Marionette said:

Oh my goodness there's a thread for everything.

I'm so glad that you are exploring all FJ has to offer. :multi-heart:

I was spoiled for episode 7 (I inadvertently saw an article) and I still cried like a baby.  @PennySycamore, thanks for using the spoiler tags because I haven't seen the last episode yet.  I'll be watching tonight.  So, is it a one or two boxes of tissues episode?

• Upvote 3
  • Love 2

Yeah, I saw Helen George's post from when it aired in the UK... I knew it was coming, but to see it played out by Jack Ashton & Linda Bassett was absolutely heart-breaking. Barbara was one of my favorites, too. :crying-blue:

I don't know when I'll get to the series finale... My friend got me into The Handmaid's Tale, and I have 2 more episodes until the next one comes out... Guess I'll get back to CTM sometime soon. 

• Upvote 2

I dunno how I ended up in this thread and haven't seen any of season 7 yet (not on PBS yet, right?) but I just ended up googling and seeing the spoilers and OH SHIT! Very sad.

Our pbs just aired the last episode of the season.

• Thank You 1

• 2 weeks later...

The last 2 episodes of the season really had me crying more than I usually do during the show.

• 10 months later...

Season 8 premiered in the US tonight after we'd had the Christmas Special on Christmas Day,  Sister Winifred is spending the year at the motherhouse where she is working with the children, especially a boy with cerebral palsy.  Nonnatus House has two new nuns:  the older Sister Hilda who served in the Women's Air Force during the war and entered religious life after the war was over and a nun who'd just taken her vows, Sister Frances.  This season will deal with the problems of back alley abortions and they started in tonight's episode.  A new mom who'd been attended at birth by Lucile comes with her sister to Nonnatus House seeking help.  Her sister is having complications from her illegal abortion.  Valerie helps to the extent she can, but the woman needs to go to the hospital.  Valerie asks Sister Julienne if she should have helped her at Nonnatus and Julienne says that midwife means "with woman" so yes, she should have helped the woman and at Nonnatus House.  Sister Julienne goes to the hospital with the woman.  Later on, Sisters Hilda and Julienne have an honest and non-judgmental discussion about abortion.  They recognize that women will always have abortions.  That discussion would blow Lori's and JillRod's minds!

Oh, the Turners may adopt a Chinese orphan.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

I hadn't participated in this thread before now. And this is only the 3rd season of CTM that I have watched; I really wasn't aware about the show before. (I just love it BTW).

Anyway, last night was the next to last episode of the season as shown in the US. Not going to spoil it for those who haven't watched yet - but, just watch. Such a good show, and one that certainly makes a person think, not just spout platitudes.

I wish that the show's season were longer with more episodes. I save them on my DVR so I can watch again between seasons - but my DVR died and I lost the 2 season I had before this.

Definitely worth watching.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

The topics were so timely this season, weren't they?  I loved all the episodes, but especially loved the ending of the season finale:

Spoiler

The Turners got May back and Dr Turner danced with both May and Angela in  a father-daughter dance at the prom,  the young woman who was terminally ill got to go to the prom as did Reggie who was home from school and had a big crush on another student.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

@PennySycamore

Yes!

I was inspired to re-watch all of the show (well right up till before last season's end because sad :()It's just so lovely and relevant. Every cast member that leaves makes me sad, but they find great replacements.

I also checked out the first two books of the trilogy. I can't believe I haven't done that yet. There is also a memoir written by Jennifer Worth's sister. And a collection of stories from people who knew her and worked with her.

... Poplar was quite a bit.. Bleaker. Not that that'd be shocking, but it's always startling to read the difference.

She also wrote a fantastic description of Cockney grammar.

It explained the character of Bash (Don Cheadle) from Ocean's 11 and some of his speeches - finally.

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

I think I’ve mentioned before that many of my ancestors (from my paternal grandparents and up) were from Poplar and adjacent areas such as Canning Town and West Ham. I love the show anyway but my family connection makes it even more special.

• Upvote 5