IGNORED

What's for dinner?

Koala

Crock Pot is a name brand of a slow cooker. Americans from certain regions use name brands to refer to things even though they're not using the name brand of the thing. Like calling all bandages "Band-aids" regardless of manufacturer.

Mine is actually a "Crock Pot." I found that I like them better than other brands of slow cookers.

I have a 5 qt. programmable Crock Pot, but I'm considering getting a smaller one also. My second one will probably have the manual, dial control as it is hard to find a 3-1/2 or 4 qt. programmable Crock Pot (plus, I don't want to spend much money for it).

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is actually a "Crock Pot." I found that I like them better than other brands of slow cookers.

I have a 5 qt. programmable Crock Pot, but I'm considering getting a smaller one also. My second one will probably have the manual, dial control as it is hard to find a 3-1/2 or 4 qt. programmable Crock Pot (plus, I don't want to spend much money for it).

I'll never get a computerized one again. The food didn't cook right. My very first crockpot was a Crock Pot. It was small but I really liked it.

I'm making hot pastrami sandwiches and potato soup. because I have 80 lbs of potatos to use.

I'm making hot pastrami sandwiches and potato soup. because I have 80 lbs of potatos to use.

Last week I had an over abundance of potatoes. Make stuffed potatoes and freeze them. They are a great side dish and freeze well.

I have a slow cooker too, a xmas pressie from the inlaws :). It's great when you've got wee kids to chase around and don't want to spend time cooking. Ours is from the local kitchen appliance shop. The cheapest one but it works great. :)

Roast chicken with turnips

Applesauce (we're getting tons of apples from the CSA this time of year)

Salad with carrots and beets grated on top and croutons

Broccoli with lemon

And I might make some mashed potatoes as well, as a favor to the poor sick nieces.

Leftover chicken is making chicken club sandwiches for tomorrow's lunch.

Warm butternut squash and chickpea salad with lemon tahini dressing. From smittenkitchen.com.

Ooooooohhhhhh....

I'm craving breakfast food. We're going to have bacon, sausage, eggs, hash browns, fruit salad with yogurt, and choc chip pancakes. My kids eat a great deal of food.

We're thinking alike. I'm making a bacon egg and cheese biscuit, with hash browns.

Has any one tried something similar to this? I almost made it but I'm too hungry to wait 2hrs.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Italian-Ri ... etail.aspx

I have. Love rice balls but I only make them on weekends.

I had breakfast for dinner last night. Banana sourdough pancakes and bacon. Yes please. Brunch/breakfast is my favorite meal.

Oh sure, last week I made scalloped potatoes and homemade bread. You couldn't ask then, could ya? ;) Or Monday, when it was garlic sauteed chicken breasts and rice with veggies fried up in the garlicky chicken pan. Nooo, no no no, you had to ask TODAY! :snooty:

Today it was ham and alfredo noodles with broccoli, because the kids will eat broccoli like nobody's business if it's mixed in with alfredo. It was a high sodium, someone Duggar-ish meal.

I am ashamed. :doh:

Oh sure, last week I made scalloped potatoes and homemade bread. You couldn't ask then, could ya? ;) Or Monday, when it was garlic sauteed chicken breasts and rice with veggies fried up in the garlicky chicken pan. Nooo, no no no, you had to ask TODAY! :snooty:

Today it was ham and alfredo noodles with broccoli, because the kids will eat broccoli like nobody's business if it's mixed in with alfredo. It was a high sodium, someone Duggar-ish meal.

I am ashamed. :doh:

Pesto pasta with broccoli was a staple for my kid at that age, throw in a jar of alfredo sauce and she was in hog heaven. Ya gotta make it work for you and the kids.

'Poverty-stricken soup'.

Garden vegetables: cannellini beans, tomatoes, potatoes, leeks, garlic, thyme, onion, parsley, and green chili.) Very, very cheap. Served with bread and cheese.

probably more of the same tomorrow, but I have squash ready, so I'll use some of that as well.

Sparkles, I love Smitten Kitchen.

I'm making Strozzapreti with Italian soysage, smoked onions, garlic, and dandelion greens. I was planning to make this on Tuesday but rescheduled it, knowing that it makes good leftovers, which I'll need on the weekend.

Also, my mom was visiting earlier this week, and as she is a retired minister, I am not about to feed her something that translates to "priest strangler." :lol:

(edited for riffle)

Pesto pasta with broccoli was a staple for my kid at that age, throw in a jar of alfredo sauce and she was in hog heaven. Ya gotta make it work for you and the kids.

True...thanks!

We're thinking alike. I'm making a bacon egg and cheese biscuit, with hash browns.

Has any one tried something similar to this? I almost made it but I'm too hungry to wait 2hrs.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Italian-Ri ... etail.aspx

Have I ever made Italian rice balls. Ha! They are my specialty. Some helpful hints. You need more than a cup of rice. First boil the rice and make it cool. You can run it under cold water and/or make it early and keep it covered in the fridge. Cold rice makes better rice balls. Then make a mixture with the rice, eggs, salt, pepper, parm cheese. Add garlic powder to the mixture and mix it all up with your hands. Then form balls and do the bread crumbs. Use a Fry Daddy or other deep fryer. If you make them for a party, everyone will devour them. Some regions put ground beef, pork, and/or veal in their rice balls. My mother's region didn't do it that way so that's what I am used to. I have had them with meat and like them without better. Some regions leave out the garlic powder. Don't do it. You will be glad you didn't. 10 times better with the garlic powder.

Have I ever made Italian rice balls. Ha! They are my specialty. Some helpful hints. You need more than a cup of rice. First boil the rice and make it cool. You can run it under cold water and/or make it early and keep it covered in the fridge. Cold rice makes better rice balls. Then make a mixture with the rice, eggs, salt, pepper, parm cheese. Add garlic powder to the mixture and mix it all up with your hands. Then form balls and do the bread crumbs. Use a Fry Daddy or other deep fryer. If you make them for a party, everyone will devour them. Some regions put ground beef, pork, and/or veal in their rice balls. My mother's region didn't do it that way so that's what I am used to. I have had them with meat and like them without better. Some regions leave out the garlic powder. Don't do it. You will be glad you didn't. 10 times better with the garlic powder.

Oh thank you. I have a Fry Daddy. I'll just need to get more oil then. Thanks! they looked but didnt know if the picture was being deceitful.

Another way to do the rice balls is the way my aunt used to do them when she was alive. Honestly, I prefer this way so much more. They may not look like the ones you see in Italian delis but they taste better than the standard "roll them in breadcrumb" way. Mix the italian seasoned breadcrumbs right into the mixture like you're making meatballs. Never a complaint. They get devoured and they also get lots of compliments.

Another way to do the rice balls is the way my aunt used to do them when she was alive. Honestly, I prefer this way so much more. They may not look like the ones you see in Italian delis but they taste better than the standard "roll them in breadcrumb" way. Mix the italian seasoned breadcrumbs right into the mixture like you're making meatballs. Never a complaint. They get devoured and they also get lots of compliments.

Is it okay to substitute a diffeent kind of cheese instead of parmasean? The only parm cheese I have is the powdered kind But i have mozz cheese.

BelieveinScience, don't waste all your olive oil in the Fry Daddy. Just fill it with canola oil. They actually taste better in canola rather than olive.

Is it okay to substitute a diffeent kind of cheese instead of parmasean? The only parm cheese I have is the powdered kind But i have mozz cheese.

You can't substitute on the parm cheese because that is your key ingredient.

I laughed when I read this because my son has soccer tonight (if we're not rained out) and I also have crockpot chicken tacos going. What recipe did you use?

I just throw in a jar of salsa (or homemade salsa usually) a package of seasoning (or about 4 tbsps homemade seasoning mix) and a pound of chicken breast. I turn it on high and let it go until it can be fork shredded. We usually top them with avocado, tomatoes and cheese. I've used beans to do a vegetarian recipe as well. I've even done it with fish and just use a citrus based salsa.

Crockpot chicken tacos are a staple around here.

That's exactly what I did. Served it w/ all of the trimmings on flour tortillas.

Archived