IGNORED

Canadian Commons defeats Conservative MP’s pro-life motion

Boogalou

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/poli ... ife-begins

YAY! Good news for us! And the comments are generally favourable too, which almost never happens! If you only want good news then stop reading now. If you want reality....

It was defeated 203 to 91 which is... mediocre I guess. And it really shouldn't have even come up in the first place. But the really terrible thing is that Rona Ambrose, minister for the status of women , voted in favour of the bill. She should be ashamed of herself and I honestly question why she holds that position.

Rona Ambrose needs to step down from her position. It does no good to have a woman representing us who's opposed to the very idea of her job. In any case, I'm glad the motion was defeated. I hope the whole thing can now be put to rest and we can focus on Canadians already born.

Rona Ambrose needs to step down from her position. It does no good to have a woman representing us who's opposed to the very idea of her job. In any case, I'm glad the motion was defeated. I hope the whole thing can now be put to rest and we can focus on Canadians already born.

Amen. I don't need to twit who wants to take away my rights "representing" me in the government!

We all need to keep an eye on Jason Kenny, who is being mentioned as a possible successor to Harper. He supported the bill. I was hoping that we would see the last of this crap after the next federal election and the disappearance of Harper [please, Universe, please!] but with Kenny in the wings, we may have to continue the battle.

That's 91 too many. Come on, NDP, Liberals, I don't care who, build yourselves up and get this shifty group of ideologues out of government.

87% of those who voted for the motion were male MPs. Yeah there's only 76 female MPs but that sends the message pretty loud and clear to the wimminz of this country. My MP voted yes, but he also believes that post-birth abortion is real. :roll: I can't wait until that potted plant is out of there. The problem is the votes in my riding are split between the Libs and NDP. If we could choose one side we could easily turf him. I might be campaigning hardcore for the NDP next round but it looks like the votes will be split (again) with Justin Trudeau winning the leadership of the Libs. Yes I'm calling it right now.

Rona Ambrose needs to step down, period. She does zero for her constutiency. She clearly does not respect the position of her own sex. She is elected by the virtue of being a member of the Conservative government. Bah!

Amen. I don't need to twit who wants to take away my rights "representing" me in the government!

:clap: It disturbs me that Rona Ambrose supported that. Someone who supports that motion should not be representing the status of women in government. I'm glad the motion was defeated, but it disturbs me that anyone supported it in the first place...especially the status of women minister. I hope this is the end of the whole thing as well.

My friend and I were discussing Ambrose this morning. She's a fellow political science student and wanted to show it to me - first of all, thank you FJ for being an important source of my news. More importantly though, we're both agreed that she should lose her position in government.

As a Canadian things like this make me sad and are definitely proof that we just follow the US. Thankfully, the majority of Canadian oppose things like this and I can only hope that it continues to be that way. Otherwise, European FJers I'll be coming for your couches ;)

I'm working on an email to her right now. There is no place for fetal personhood law in Canada.

Watching the Catholics on my FB feed praise her 'courage' is boiling my blood!

Dumb, dumb, dumb move for her politically. Most of the pro-life MPs voted no to save their own political lives. She's on her second huge bumble as a cabinet minister (first as minister of the environment, now this). She really shouldn't take her riding for granted. People in her riding are very pissed off right now.

It's ok, apparently she was doing it to raise awareness about sex selection abortion :roll: Guess what Ambrose, you are responsible for the status of women, not for the status of unborn female foetuses. I don't know what she was thinking.

It's ok, apparently she was doing it to raise awareness about sex selection abortion :roll: Guess what Ambrose, you are responsible for the status of women, not for the status of unborn female foetuses. I don't know what she was thinking.

She doesn't think. That's the problem. She's in a riding where by being the virtue of the Conservative candidate she gets elected. Not because she's the best candidate but because she is Conservative. She is quite possibly the most inept in cabinet and that is saying a lot. I think a lot of people in her riding are starting to finally get that she's useless. Fingers crossed!

I'm working on an email to her right now. There is no place for fetal personhood law in Canada.

Watching the Catholics on my FB feed praise her 'courage' is boiling my blood!

What e-mail did you use, just the one listed on her website? rona.ambrose.c1a@parl.gc.ca or Ambror@parl.gc.ca ? Can I send an e-mail to someone who is not my MP? Is that a stupid question? Anyway, I will try to fire off an e-mail to her and my MP this weekend.

The problem is the votes in my riding are split between the Libs and NDP. If we could choose one side we could easily turf him. I might be campaigning hardcore for the NDP next round but it looks like the votes will be split (again) with Justin Trudeau winning the leadership of the Libs. Yes I'm calling it right now.

Isn't that the problem in the whole country? One horrific right-wing party to get all the right wing votes, while the left is split between NDPs, Liberals, heck, even the Green party to some extent.

Still, this government is so inept and against typical Canadian values that I'm hoping it's enough to push the balance back in favour of sanity, whether it is Liberal sanity or NDP sanity. Justin Trudeau would probably have the kind of appeal that would persuade the more apathetic voters (and I am with you on calling that, as much as they deny it).

I saw a facebook group earlier today that had her contact information posted - email and phone number.

I say that if someone's Minister of...whatever, then on top of representing their riding, they're representing all Canadians. Email away. I plan to.

Isn't that the problem in the whole country? One horrific right-wing party to get all the right wing votes, while the left is split between NDPs, Liberals, heck, even the Green party to some extent.

Still, this government is so inept and against typical Canadian values that I'm hoping it's enough to push the balance back in favour of sanity, whether it is Liberal sanity or NDP sanity. Justin Trudeau would probably have the kind of appeal that would persuade the more apathetic voters (and I am with you on calling that, as much as they deny it).

I don't think it's the entire country personally. A lot of people were not expecting the Jack Layton NDP blast. It's definitely trickled down to Alberta politics slightly. The NDP has made some pretty good gains here. Surprising too considering everyone was terrified of the Wildrose Party and a lot of people voted for the PCs solely because it looked like the Wildrose was going to form the government. I remember being at work Election Day and was certain we were fucked. Everyone I knew was researching jobs in different provinces and abroad just because of the possibility.

We are seeing the splintering of the right wing in Alberta. I think we will see the federal Conservatives start to split too. It's only a matter of time. They can only hold together the old school Progressive Conservative, Reform Party/Canadian Alliance groups for so long. Much like the left side could only hold the Liberals together for so long. I'm banking on sooner rather than later.

And yes. Trudeau. My apathetic friends would vote for him. Just because he's a Trudeau. At least he's easy on the eyes. ;)

Edit: the first email I sent I cc'd Rona Ambrose and a few others. I only got a response from Elizabeth May and my MP. So...

I don't think it's the entire country personally. A lot of people were not expecting the Jack Layton NDP blast. It's definitely trickled down to Alberta politics slightly. The NDP has made some pretty good gains here. Surprising too considering everyone was terrified of the Wildrose Party and a lot of people voted for the PCs solely because it looked like the Wildrose was going to form the government. I remember being at work Election Day and was certain we were fucked. Everyone I knew was researching jobs in different provinces and abroad just because of the possibility.

We are seeing the splintering of the right wing in Alberta. I think we will see the federal Conservatives start to split too. It's only a matter of time. They can only hold together the old school Progressive Conservative, Reform Party/Canadian Alliance groups for so long. Much like the left side could only hold the Liberals together for so long. I'm banking on sooner rather than later.

And yes. Trudeau. My apathetic friends would vote for him. Just because he's a Trudeau. At least he's easy on the eyes. ;)

Edit: the first email I sent I cc'd Rona Ambrose and a few others. I only got a response from Elizabeth May and my MP. So...

Well I guess I was kind of overstating. The small number of major political parties in the US/UK/Canada is a bugbear of mine so I do get a bit OTT over it. But you make a good point about the WRP/Conservative splinter in Alberta, and I'd like to see the feds go that way. I know a lot of the federal conservatives were supporting Wildrose and were upset that they lost so badly (compared to what was expected), so it would be nice to see them form their own loony party (and promptly be forgotten about) and allow for a fiscally conservative socially not insane party to develop. Not that I'd be likely to vote for them, but at least I'd be able to *stand* them.

I have to say, I was very proud and reassured to see the WRP lose out because of their stupid bigoted views. If we don't stand for that shit in Alberta, I can't see it flying on a wide scale in the rest of Canada. It's a pleasing contrast to GOP politics. (And yeah, I knew people who were planning on leaving, too. I think it says something very bad about your policies if people are willing to uproot their whole lives over them.)

I call bullshit. M-312 wouldn't have done squat about sex selective abortion. She's just falling back on that excuse because people are pointing out that she's the fucking minister for the status of women, and some other dipshit MP happened to announce a sex selective abortion motion today.

I've yet to send her my angry email, but I will. Rona Ambrose needs to resign. I'm considering sending Harper an angry email, too, because wtf was he thinking, appointing a hard-core anti-choice MP to be minister for the status of women?

ETA Mark Warawa is the other dipshit. Seriously, what is it with Harper's backbenchers, these days? At least the Canadian anti-choice movement isn't very clever, so they'll run out of talking points to turn into motions soon.

I think we have to remember it's only up until recently that any party that wasn't Conservative or Liberal formed the official opposition. 1993 was the first time with the Bloc Québécois. There was another party in the 1920s that could've been the official opposition but decided against it for some reason.

Like I said, the Conservative Party will crack and split into smaller parties. It's happened before in recent memory, it'll happen again.

Edit: Maybe angry e-mails are the way to go? I sent out nice polite e-mails and only got a personal response back from two despite sending it to everyone. And then my MP just sent out a form letter mad at what people said to him after the fact. Which I replied back to...

What e-mail did you use, just the one listed on her website? rona.ambrose.c1a@parl.gc.ca or Ambror@parl.gc.ca ? Can I send an e-mail to someone who is not my MP? Is that a stupid question? Anyway, I will try to fire off an e-mail to her and my MP this weekend.

The "Support Rona Ambrose" FB page kindly provided this email address: rona.ambrose@parl.gc.ca

I also CC'd stephen.harper@parl.gc.ca

I agree with BlueLady - she's a federal cabinet minister, I'll damn well email her if I please :)

Good idea on emailing local MPs too though.. I live in Calgary and Stephen Harper is actually my MP anyway

What a relief! I wasn't very worried because I have faith in the sanity of my country, but it's still something that is upsetting in general. I spent all of last week rolling my eyes harder and harder as Catholic facebook friends joined "fast and pray for life on Sept 26" groups, I'm kind of tempted to go back and post "HAHAHAHAHA" on all of them now. :lol:

The "Support Rona Ambrose" FB page kindly provided this email address: rona.ambrose@parl.gc.ca

I also CC'd stephen.harper@parl.gc.ca

I agree with BlueLady - she's a federal cabinet minister, I'll damn well email her if I please :)

Good idea on emailing local MPs too though.. I live in Calgary and Stephen Harper is actually my MP anyway

Speaking of Rona Ambrose-themed facebook pages:

https://www.facebook.com/ronaambrosemustgo

Plenty of idiots to debate with. I hesitate to call them trolls - they could very well be genuine and clueless.

Archived