IGNORED

SOTDRT=major math fail

VintageJen1984

The other day one of our FBers got a youtube message about the Duggars and how "the Duggars make up a very small percentage of even the population of their city, and state. If they continued at this rate for the next forty years, as in each of their children having 20 kids of their own, it would still make almost no difference." There was some other stuff, but I posted a comment saying this:

"tell her that if each Duggar child had 19 children that in one generation that would be 361 Duggar's. that in two generations there would be 6,859. in three generations there would be 130,321. and in just four generations there would be 2,476,099.

four generations is roughly 80 to 100 years, so at the current rate, in 100 years the state of Arkansas would nearly double in size (current population is only 2,937,979) JUST in Duggar's. if none of the wives died from overworking their reproductive system. if one family did that for four generations they could create another city the size of the 4th largest. if 99% of the world population were just like them, in 100 years, we would all be screwed. since the current children would be elderly, all the living Duggar's would add up to 2,613,659. then if the Bates Did the same thing that would double. then what about the Jeubs and the Coghlans and the Phillips and Maxwells...in 100 years the fundies QF will take over the country.

in 200 (the famous tools 200 year plan) there will be no room for them. so in two generations 99% of the world will bee this way. that is why this is unsustainable. these people seriously don't understand math. (and the person who just did the math for you actually wants eight children, but there are child free people to balance that, and I don't expect my children and their children and their children to keep it up!)"

Anyway, I was just thinking about this tonight. If the Duggars ALONE could, in 100 years, go from a nuclear family of 21, to a five generation family of OVER TWO AND A HALF MILLION, why do they try to preach this to believers? Why do they care if other people are taking birth control? Seriously, if the Duggars, the Bates, the Jeubs, the Coghlans, the Phillips, and the Maxwells alone all reproduced at the same rate as the parents that started this mess, we'd have 6,502,481 new people in 100 years.

This is only including the families I listed in my original comment. It leaves out the Andersons, Sanders, Mortons, Botkins, Kellers, and all the blogless, faceless fundies out there who also do this stuff. Why try to convert people to this line of thinking, if you can match the population of NYC in 100 years with seven or eight families? If all those horrible, sinful people using birth control are only popping out one or two, you're definitely going to outbreed them into extinction within a generation or two. Even if all the little Duggars and Bates and Coghlans and so on are marrying each other, thereby reducing this number by quite a bit, they're still beating the rest of us in breeding by a ton.

Yes, that would be quite scary, but as has been discussed before, it assumes a perfect retention rate over those generations to the fundie lifestyle. We see examples IRL of kids leaving/going more fundie lite; no way 100% of all those generations would stay in. And it's ultimately unsustainable, anyway, with the limited education/career prospects that they offer their kids. How many car dealers/tow truck drivers/tree cutters/home management advisors can any given area possibly need? They doom themselves, no worries on the 100 or 200 year plan.

Oh no, the world could be taken over by fundies :( This is how the world ends :(

Luckily their lifestyle isn't very sustainable. They have 19 unemployable kids, since they refused to educate them and won't permit the girls to be employed anyways, so that makes it hard to sustain it into the next generation. And no way that all of them will want to stay in such a restrictive lifestyle that doesn't let them do anything. There will be at least some that go fundie-lite and decide birth control to have just 3 kids and pants are okay. Then there will be some outright escapes. Even if they all WANTED to be QF, they're not all going to be capable of having 19 kids...Michelle is an extremely fertile example. Whenever I fear that fundies are taking over the world I comfort myself by listing the reasons they can't sustain their movement. Then I start worrying that some fundie ideas are taking over American politics, and in some areas it seems like that's true.

Anybody ever seen Idiocracy? As some of the posters already said, these people wouldn't be able to survive. At least not that long. Whatever ounce of intelligence people like Michelle Duggar had because she had a decent education and wasn't completely sheltered, she passed on even less of that ounce to her children. If they keep up the SOTDRT, that ounce is gonna run out pretty fast.

Oh no, the world could be taken over by fundies :( This is how the world ends :(

"This is how the world ends - not with a bang, but with a frumper."

Nope they are all moving to Jacksonville, there is plenty of room in that town.

The fundie lifestyle isn't sustainable in the long run for a few reasons as other mentioned. Like ElphabaGalinda mentioned, not all of the Duggar kids are capably of having 19 kids each. I think there is the chance that at least one or a possibly a few of the kids will later find out they can't reproduce. Some of the kids will become mainstream and will decide two kids are enough. I do think SmugJill will continue in the fundie lifestyle. She is a fundie people pleaser and she will have 5 or more kids. Some of the kids will decide not to have kids or I can see them deciding to only adopt and not have biological children.

Boob's influences and business connections can only go so far, he won't be able to set up all of his boys in businesses. I predicts rifts will happen due to that.

True, I bet most kids raised fundie will decide not to once they get to make their own decisions. Most of the fundie parents discussed in this forum seem to have been raised normal and decided to be fundie.

Luckily their lifestyle isn't very sustainable. They have 19 unemployable kids, since they refused to educate them and won't permit the girls to be employed anyways, so that makes it hard to sustain it into the next generation. And no way that all of them will want to stay in such a restrictive lifestyle that doesn't let them do anything. There will be at least some that go fundie-lite and decide birth control to have just 3 kids and pants are okay. Then there will be some outright escapes. Even if they all WANTED to be QF, they're not all going to be capable of having 19 kids...Michelle is an extremely fertile example. Whenever I fear that fundies are taking over the world I comfort myself by listing the reasons they can't sustain their movement. Then I start worrying that some fundie ideas are taking over American politics, and in some areas it seems like that's true.

No big deal if the kids are unemployable because if Obama gets reelected there won't be any jobs anyway and we can just all sit back and collect welfare and food stamps.

No big deal if the kids are unemployable because if Obama gets reelected there won't be any jobs anyway and we can just all sit back and collect welfare and food stamps.

Yea and we all know welfare and food stamps pay a hell of a lot better than TLC :roll:

I don't see the fundie movement taking over here. As others stated, job prospects, fertility, changes in lifestyle all will make it unsustainable. However, this is becoming a problem in Israel where ultra-othrodox Jews are growing at a exponential rate as compared to the rest of the Jewish population. The end result is a growing power there wielded by fundamentalists. Secular and less religious Jews are also the ones paying for some of that growth because some conservative Jews prefer to study the Torah, thereby forcing their wives to work to support ten kids. There, they have a fast growing underclass who live in poverty, have a lot of kids and are sponging off others while growing in political strength. This doesn't bode well for a country that prides itself on being a beacon of freedom and democratic in the middle east. At least the US do not have this as an issue yet, as fundie numbers are so low and their lifestyle unsustainable. However, fundies taking over a secular democracy is possible, even in modern, developed countries.

Anybody ever seen Idiocracy? As some of the posters already said, these people wouldn't be able to survive. At least not that long. Whatever ounce of intelligence people like Michelle Duggar had because she had a decent education and wasn't completely sheltered, she passed on even less of that ounce to her children. If they keep up the SOTDRT, that ounce is gonna run out pretty fast.

I predict that within a generation or two the US will be made up of the SOTDRT masses a la Idiocracy and an ultra elite to live off their labor and control them via the preachers. The middle and upper middle class people will emigrate to Canada/Europe/Asia where they can enjoy a reasonably good lifestyle with a reasonable amount of work, have a hope of climbing the proverbial ladder if they desire and their children can get a real, non 'fundie' influenced education

The other day one of our FBers got a youtube message about the Duggars and how "the Duggars make up a very small percentage of even the population of their city, and state. If they continued at this rate for the next forty years, as in each of their children having 20 kids of their own, it would still make almost no difference." There was some other stuff, but I posted a comment saying this:

"tell her that if each Duggar child had 19 children that in one generation that would be 361 Duggar's. that in two generations there would be 6,859. in three generations there would be 130,321. and in just four generations there would be 2,476,099.

four generations is roughly 80 to 100 years, so at the current rate, in 100 years the state of Arkansas would nearly double in size (current population is only 2,937,979) JUST in Duggar's. if none of the wives died from overworking their reproductive system. if one family did that for four generations they could create another city the size of the 4th largest. if 99% of the world population were just like them, in 100 years, we would all be screwed. since the current children would be elderly, all the living Duggar's would add up to 2,613,659. then if the Bates Did the same thing that would double. then what about the Jeubs and the Coghlans and the Phillips and Maxwells...in 100 years the fundies QF will take over the country.

in 200 (the famous tools 200 year plan) there will be no room for them. so in two generations 99% of the world will bee this way. that is why this is unsustainable. these people seriously don't understand math. (and the person who just did the math for you actually wants eight children, but there are child free people to balance that, and I don't expect my children and their children and their children to keep it up!)"

Anyway, I was just thinking about this tonight. If the Duggars ALONE could, in 100 years, go from a nuclear family of 21, to a five generation family of OVER TWO AND A HALF MILLION, why do they try to preach this to believers? Why do they care if other people are taking birth control? Seriously, if the Duggars, the Bates, the Jeubs, the Coghlans, the Phillips, and the Maxwells alone all reproduced at the same rate as the parents that started this mess, we'd have 6,502,481 new people in 100 years.

This is only including the families I listed in my original comment. It leaves out the Andersons, Sanders, Mortons, Botkins, Kellers, and all the blogless, faceless fundies out there who also do this stuff. Why try to convert people to this line of thinking, if you can match the population of NYC in 100 years with seven or eight families? If all those horrible, sinful people using birth control are only popping out one or two, you're definitely going to outbreed them into extinction within a generation or two. Even if all the little Duggars and Bates and Coghlans and so on are marrying each other, thereby reducing this number by quite a bit, they're still beating the rest of us in breeding by a ton.

I do see one small math problem with your calculations: You're not counting the overlap that occurs when you get children from one fundy family marrying into another fundy family. In those cases the children would be counted twice, once each for their descent from the original families.

But wait! How many Duggars are actually married and producing more fundies while their "fountain of youth" is in its prime? It's a good thing the girls father is so picky when it comes to potential husbands sperm donors for the baby factories daughters.

"This is how the world ends - not with a bang, but with a frumper."

:clap:

Funnier with the rhythm of the original, though, I think:

This is the way the world ends

Not with a bang but a frumper.

Outbreeding everyone else is exactly what they'd like to do, and as long as the others they attract to the QF life are of the same religious persuasion, they're looking forward to repopulating the Earth with fundies.

Of course, as others have said, some won't stick with the lifestyle, and some may not be able to have kids, or could die before having children, etc. Life always gets in the way of those grand plans!

I've actually heard people say, out loud, that one of the reasons they had several kids was because they believe that Christians need to step up the breeding or we'll be taken over by Muslims. And I have kids because...... I like kids? Shame!

I do see one small math problem with your calculations: You're not counting the overlap that occurs when you get children from one fundy family marrying into another fundy family. In those cases the children would be counted twice, once each for their descent from the original families.

no, that's my last sentence.

But that wasn't the question, whether they would, or even could. They really think they can. so why try to convert people?

But that wasn't the question, whether they would, or even could. They really think they can. so why try to convert people?

I was just answering to ILoveJellybeans as to why the world can't be taken over by fundies, so we don't need to worry so much. But although they may want to, I think they view converts as an increase to their bestest Christian ever points. They think out breeding is easier but it gives them points with their God or something. I honestly think they do it to make themselves look better/more powerful. Though the idea of getting some new members from the outside they might like because they might realize these people bring money and power that they don't have. Who really knows with these people.

Archived