IGNORED

Quit Smiling, You Sacrilegious Pansies

emmiedahl

Guest Anonymous
What a sad, bitter, joyless woman. If she is a woman, that is.

I really think that blog is written by a man. There was speculation about someone that might be behind it - maybe on the old forum? It's definitely been brought up on FSTDT.

I don't want to bring the dude in question down on our heads by saying his name, but it's mentioned on this thread -

http://fstdt.com/QuoteComment.aspx?QID=81249&Page=1

I'm not saying that it's positively that particular guy, but it's believable to me that it could be.

She would have had a conniption fit last week when the visiting Female minister talked about the good uses of marijuana/hemp in the sermon. That it was a weed with many applications beyond smoking it.

We often laugh during our sermons and our pastor has a wonderful sense of humor, as well as a good swing. I've seen him toss a colorful metaphor (thanks James T Kirk for that ) or two when he's playing softball or the SF Giants go into a losing streak.

And I've met nuns that can tell a joke or two, enjoy a glass of wine and beer, and still be some of the most holy, caring people you'll ever meet.

Too bad the TH has such an asswipe view of humanity. Her loss.

One time as a teen while stuck in the hospital for a couple of months, I had the great pleasure of morning visits from a certain priest on a daily basis. Every morning right after breakfast he would come in and read a few passages from the bible that had a happy moral to it, pray for my healing and would tell me it was time for my heavenly medicine. His idea of heavenly medicine was to tell some jokes until the person was have deep belly laughs. His point was that a person would heal much faster if they laughed everyday. I just know I enjoyed his visits and all the jokes we laughed over together.

Priests and nuns are people just like everyone else, so why wouldn't they find joy in life?

We're not Catholic, we're Lutheran, but the clergy are normal people too. Our pastor plays the drums in a rock band and is quite good! He has quoted U2 lyrics and the movie "The Blues Brothers" in his sermons, much to the horror of some of our older members (DH and I found that using cultural references in this way actually helped us understand the message a bit more). Just because he's a fun guy doesn't mean he lacks gravitas or authority.

When I was young, my family was very close with our pastor at the time and his family. His son and my brother are the same age and were good friends, and we socialized often. I remember many hot summer Saturdays of swimming in their pool and having barbecues.

We live in a predominantly Catholic area and growing up we had several Sisters of Mercy living across the street from us. They were the principal and some of the teachers at a local Catholic high school. The Sisters were fun - they had their own lives and hobbies. They had a wonderful dog as a pet, one Sister was a vegetable gardener, another did a lot of crocheting, another was a musician, etc. They entertained often. Surprisingly, a lot of Catholics were kind of standoffish or almost afraid of them all of the time, but we heathen Protestants weren't. ;) A friend has a young (early 30s) priest at his parish and doesn't really know what to make of the fact that he went bowling one night and saw his priest, sans collar, bowling and drinking a beer with some friends. Why can't a priest go out and have fun? Perhaps it's because my clergymen have always been married with kids, but I've never felt that clergy should be expected to sit at home reading the Bible or praying 24/7.

Katiebug, your Lutheran pastor quotes U2 lyrics too!? Hahaha. My pastor's wife forbade him read anymore U2 lyrics in sermons because she was sick of it - so now on the Sundays that she isn't there he jokes that he can use them again and sure enough whips out a lyrics print out and reads it to us. I think it's silly that she thinks clergy can't joke or have fun. I couldn't stop giggling in church this morning during the children's lesson (this was Church of Scotland though, no Lutheran churches nearby) because the congregation was expected to make sheep, rooster, and sad noises with the story of Peter's denial... Also, growing up, I had Catholic friends and went to their churches, and it was the nuns who taught us the phrase "JESUS MARY AND JOSEPH!" when something went wrong, and who snuck us candy and let us sneak a few pancakes and sausages in the kitchen instead of insisting we only cook for the adults when we volunteered to help with pancake breakfast. Oh, and when I was a wee thing we had youth lock-ins at church and forked (stuck hundreds of plastic forks into) the pastor's lawn, with the help of the vicar. I couldn't imagine a church without fun and dancing and jokes and things. What a dismal time that would be!

When I was a kid in the '60s, Father Burns, a six-footer who drove a VW Beetle, used to put on his Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda shorts and chaperon trips to the amusement park. He also went out of his way to visit my mom, who was an indifferent churchgoer. I'll never forget the time I ran into the livingroom yanking a lacy bra out of a shopping bag and yelling, "Ma, look what I bought!"--and there was Father Burns. I about died, but he and Mom had a good laugh.

Yikes, she would've hated my old bishop. One Sunday before he started his main talk in chruch he asked everyone to get up, step to the left, step back to the right, then put their finger on their heart and then said "Good! Now no matter what I say you can tell your friends you were uplifted, moved, and your heart was touched!" :)

I just remembered, one of my old (now retired) pastor's favourite stories was how one year for confirmation class a boy had the question "If you could change anything about the church, what would you change and why?" These were to be answered on Confirmation Sunday in front of the whole congregation. The boy said "The toilet paper. Gotta go with Charmin, this stuff is too rough!" While he did laugh about it though, and share the story repeatedly for more laughs, he did ask us to try to take the questions a bit more seriously when we answered them - although jokes were totally allowed to be mixed in.

The boy said "The toilet paper. Gotta go with Charmin, this stuff is too rough!"

I'm not Catholic so I don't understand. Is he just referring to what happened to be stocked in the bathrooms at the time, or...?

I'm not Catholic either, this was a Lutheran church. The boy was literally talking about the toilet paper currently stocked in our physical, literal church, not the "church" as a whole abstract thing.

Archived