IGNORED

Quit Smiling, You Sacrilegious Pansies

emmiedahl

TH is taking a break from persecuting minorities to pick on priests who dare to smile or make jokes. To quote her quoting someone else, "Note the optimism of these priests. For these poor men, nothing is sacred anymore."

If TH ain't happy, nobody should be happy. She needs to go hang out with the Maxwells.

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/201 ... more-26727

TH is taking a break from persecuting minorities to pick on priests who dare to smile or make jokes. To quote her quoting someone else, "Note the optimism of these priests. For these poor men, nothing is sacred anymore."

If TH ain't happy, nobody should be happy. She needs to go hang out with the Maxwells.

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/201 ... more-26727

:evil: :doh: :roll: That's what I think of her.

I've met a woman like this. She was the wedding coordinator at my second oldest brothers wedding. My oldest brother was officiating, but as a visiting priest at the Church. Coordinator did not quite understand that the Father was our brother and was shocked and faintly disgusted at all the joking and sarcasm going back and forth.

It was like she didn't think Priests could laugh and snark.

If she thinks laughing is bad, I've heard mine swear. Ooooooh! Granted it was more in the nature of a quote, but I can see him stubbing a toe and letting loose with a choice word or two. Heh. :)

I would be very worried about a priest, of whichever church or whatever faith, who didn't have a sense of humor. Very.

I once had a Sister tell me the proper name for a group of nuns is a giggle of nuns. Clergy are human. Why shouldn't they have a sense of humor?

We used to have a priest at Sunday dinner almost every week. He was a family friend. He was funny as hell, always brought a bottle or two of good wine to share, and referred to a local politician as a heartless bitch when she was fighting to reduce social services in the area.

Kinda lurve him. I'd prefer this priest over one the serious, Sadducee stereotype. Rabbis are usually hilarious, so I don't know why a priest would need to be any different.

oh my. Life would be said without laughing priests (and nuns).

I don't even have to be Catholic to enjoy some good fellowship with our family friend Father J. Nobody is funnier than him. And we love it. :D

At my sisters wedding, one of the officiating priests she chose is unofficially known as the "Smiling Priest". He never stops grinning, ever. While he was up there doing the wedding, he was so glowingly happy some of us thought we might be eyewitnesses to levitation.

All of this reminds me of an anecdote attributed to Pope John XXIII:

A workman at the Vatican saw the Pope going by, and distracted, hit his own thumb with a hammer. Struggling to control himself, he hollered, "Holy Mary and Joseph and all the saints and angels..."

And the Pope said, "Why don't you just say 'shit' like everybody else?"

All of this reminds me of an anecdote attributed to Pope John XXIII:

A workman at the Vatican saw the Pope going by, and distracted, hit his own thumb with a hammer. Struggling to control himself, he hollered, "Holy Mary and Joseph and all the saints and angels..."

And the Pope said, "Why don't you just say 'shit' like everybody else?"

:laughing-rollingyellow: That's a good one!

That chick would get along great with the Maxwells.

Apparently clergy aren't allowed to smile. Or perhaps she has confused priests with their close counterparts called monks. Not all priests are monks.

That page has a link to a tirade on how the Amish don't have babies out of wedlock. Of course not. Helps tremendously that the common Amish woman has NO CLUE how babies come, so midwives can continue the theme that the first baby can come anytime and all the rest take 9 months. Cause bundling beds are SOOO conducive to not having the first baby come sooner than 9 months from the wedding.

I suppose she'd have a fit if she saw my (Protestant) pastor mixing humor into his Sunday sermons. Christians having FUN!!! Oh the horror!!!!11!!!

That blog posting was annoying as hell. I got a laugh from this quote

Then, as in this last picture, the vice of imitating secular manners and pleasing men reached an apex that transformed innumerable members of the clergy into optimistic jokers, who no longer represent Christ to the faithful. Their attires followed an analogous path.

TH might happy to know that there some Catholic priests and Protestant minsters that are very sullen and rarely laugh. When I was a growing up there was priest at our parish that didn't like that some priests made jokes during sermons. My friend's grandfather was a Baptist minister and he once said that as a minister he couldn't laugh or make jokes because of his duties to God.

The NON-Thinking Housewife is such a joyless twat. I bet her husband spends a lot of time at the office because who wants to come home to such a dour person? Ugh.

I took a quit gander at the NON-Thinking Housewife's post on this topic. My goodness, the way people go on you would have thought these priests were doing keg stands or stuffing dollar bills into a stripper's G-string. These priests just look like good friends sharing a joke. Lighten up!!!

And I wonder what the NON-Thinking Housewife would think of Katy LaFond, one fun nun (and fellow Alverno alum).

http://onefunnunslife.blogspot.com/

Wait, is TH Catholic? Because if so, consider my mind blown. I've never actually visited her site, only read about it here, so I always assumed that she was Evangelical Protestant, like most of the rest of our bloggers. As far as the site she, erm, cites, even the crowd over at Fisheaters have alluded to it as being way over the top and excessively scrupulous. I can't really imagine enjoying a "clown Mass," myself, but the idea that priests and nuns shouldn't ever smile, laugh or have any kind of fun is, IMHO, unbiblical in itself. Doesn't the Bible say that David was filled with such joy that he danced before G-d? That Sarah found the idea that she would have a child so absurd that she laughed? If life is nothing but a solemn misery, all the time, then how do we know what to feel when we're really stricken by tragedy (or, conversely, find real happiness)? There's no contrast, and if there's no contrast, there's no real feeling at all.

What a sad, bitter, joyless woman. If she is a woman, that is.

Wait, is TH Catholic? Because if so, consider my mind blown. I've never actually visited her site, only read about it here, so I always assumed that she was Evangelical Protestant, like most of the rest of our bloggers. As far as the site she, erm, cites, even the crowd over at Fisheaters have alluded to it as being way over the top and excessively scrupulous. I can't really imagine enjoying a "clown Mass," myself, but the idea that priests and nuns shouldn't ever smile, laugh or have any kind of fun is, IMHO, unbiblical in itself. Doesn't the Bible say that David was filled with such joy that he danced before G-d? That Sarah found the idea that she would have a child so absurd that she laughed? If life is nothing but a solemn misery, all the time, then how do we know what to feel when we're really stricken by tragedy (or, conversely, find real happiness)? There's no contrast, and if there's no contrast, there's no real feeling at all.

I think she is Protestant but she could be one of those people who are posting and critiquing the Catholic Church.

I just finished reading all of her pizza-related rants. Holy shit, sometimes you just want a hot, filling meal that won't require an hour of cooking and an hour of cleanup. Not wanting to cook for a night is not the downfall of modern civilization.

THIS. Of course, actually READING the Bible would require TH to spend less time blogging and we all know that she loves getting attention the best.

I just finished reading all of her pizza-related rants. Holy shit, sometimes you just want a hot, filling meal that won't require an hour of cooking and an hour of cleanup. Not wanting to cook for a night is not the downfall of modern civilization.

I know! I can see looking down on some crappy mall food court pizza but there are wonderful locally-owned pizza joints everywhere that serve delicious pizza. Mmm, pizza.

Archived