IGNORED

Sweet Tea and Buttermilk/Courtney's 3rd boy born in driveway

Pclee

Went to the hospital and got sent back home sometime after 2am due to contractions slowing down. At 5:17am I ended up having our little man on our DRIVEWAY. That's right folks, the DRIVEWAY, in the dark, on the ground, without pain meds :). Hubby did great and THANK GOD the EMT's made it just after the head came out.

Meet Baby Cade!!!!! 6 lbs 11oz, 17 in long

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet-Tea ... 9431458606

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are Clint, Clay, and Cade really the best C names they could come up with?

Why the heck was she in the driveway and not in the house? Weird.

That sucks. For those who are wondering, though, I imagine since they went home at 2 and the baby was born after 5 that they went inside, then later realized things were ramping up, went outside to get into the car, and found that the baby was coming RIGHT THEN. Those suckers come fast sometime, and once you're pushing (which is often completely involuntary) you can't really just hop in the car and drive to the hospital. Even getting up to go inside the house in that moment might have seemed impossible.

My second baby came freakishly fast. I've said many times it's a good thing I was planning a homebirth, because I would have gotten one no matter what. I started pushing very shortly after labour began, well before I would have even thought about going to a hospital even if I had been planning a hospital birth, and once I started pushing I couldn't stop it. My husband was on the phone with our midwife as she coached him through catching the baby (although she did end up making it in time, so that wasn't necessary).

Yeah. I've been lucky twice not to have the baby on the highway. Those labors were super fast and there is only so much "not pushing" you can do before your uterus says "OUT!"

No idea who these people are but delivering your baby in the driveway isn't necessarily a function of being stupid. I'd be more inclined to qvetch at the hospital folks who sent them home. This isn't her first baby. When a mom of several is pretty sure the baby is on the way, it's a good idea to listen to her. I'd say close to a dozen of my friends have had the experience of being told "Oh, you're not anywhere close to having this baby" only to deliver the kid within the hour. I'm not sure *why* this happens so often but it's not the mom's fault.

Are Clint, Clay, and Cade really the best C names they could come up with?

Why the heck was she in the driveway and not in the house? Weird.

Exactly what I was thinking. I have never heard of Cade. Caden. But not Cade.

That sucks. For those who are wondering, though, I imagine since they went home at 2 and the baby was born after 5 that they went inside, then later realized things were ramping up, went outside to get into the car, and found that the baby was coming RIGHT THEN. Those suckers come fast sometime, and once you're pushing (which is often completely involuntary) you can't really just hop in the car and drive to the hospital. Even getting up to go inside the house in that moment might have seemed impossible.

My second baby came freakishly fast. I've said many times it's a good thing I was planning a homebirth, because I would have gotten one no matter what. I started pushing very shortly after labour began, well before I would have even thought about going to a hospital even if I had been planning a hospital birth, and once I started pushing I couldn't stop it. My husband was on the phone with our midwife as she coached him through catching the baby (although she did end up making it in time, so that wasn't necessary).

This. I know someone who delivered on her driveway, with the dad being the one to catch the baby. They had been at the hospital earlier, but they were sent home because the contractions were too far apart for the hospital to keep them. The child came so fast that they didn't have time to go back inside the house, and the baby was born before the paramedics arrived. Plenty of babies are born on the way to the hospital, and not always in an ambulance either.

This is one of the cases where hospitals and nurses follow a "cookbook" of standards and a lot of women do not labor according to the standards. I'm really far out from what is expected and the nurses would never have kept me. Thankfully my OBs knew what was coming and sent orders that ditched the standards. Otherwise, I would easily have delivered at home or in the car. One nurse kept muttering that I shouldn't be in the hospital until I couldn't walk or talk through the contractions. That either doesn't happen to me or not until the very last of transition. Too late.

I looked at the subject, and, not knowing this blog, saw the first four words as if they were an exclamation -- "Sweet tea and buttermilk! She gave birth in the driveway!" :lol:

I think I'll add it to my clean versions of "WTF?!"

Carry on.

Courtney's oldest is only 2.5, and this is number 3 :shock: She could be headed for a Michelle-Duggar-esque breakdown if they keep up this pace. Plus she has no girls to help with the wimmin's work and they've deliberately moved across the country from the rest of the family. At least she is not one of the anti-medicine types, but I wouldn't be surprised if this experience motivated her to go the homebirth route in future.

I've heard of Cade, but not necessarily as a first name. There's Cade's Cove in Great Smoky Mountains National Park and The Sins of Rachel Cade which is about a missionary to the Congo who gets pregnant out of wedlock! Oh, the horrors! Angie Dickinson played Rachel in the film.

FWIW and absolutely no offense to any FJs who named their kids this, I hate the names Caden and Jayden. They just sound made up and well, white trash. It doesn't help that Brittany Spears named one of her boys Jayden.

Her oldest is only 2.5. :shock: She is going to give Michelle a run for her money.

Got that right, I wonder how her insides are doing right now having 3 kids in 2 1/2 years. I have seen some her family pictures her husband has MANY sibings and she has 6 or 7 but that is small compared to her husbands family.

I've known a few Kade/Cades, some in their 40s. It isn't a common name, and not one I'd pick, but it has been around for a while.

Hahahaa- this thread cracks me up- a friend of mine a) has a son named Cade and b) nearly delivered her second baby in the car because the hospital sent her home the first time she showed up because they felt she wasn't in an active enough labor pattern to keep her. They sent her home, then once they got there they turned right back and headed back to the hospital. she felt the urge to push the whole way and ended up delivering the baby in the ED triage waiting area.

My second baby came fast and I too was glad for a homebirth- I kept telling the midwives to shaddup, I wasn't close to delivering yet while they were insisting otherwise- by the time I realized I was "close" it would have been way to late to even get to the car, let alone a trip to the hospital. It can be really hard to judge, and sometimes by the time you realize it's time, you're too late to get anywhere.

I bet the driveway is no dirtier than LIAS's lady's porch.

Glad everything turned out ok. I would not want to deliver a baby in the driveway. It's public and dirty and probably uncomfortable. My husband has told me on numerous occasions when I give birth, he will be by my side and NOT ANYWHERE NEAR THE OTHER END. I laugh at that and figure he just doesn't want to be reminded of his OB rotation in med school. Still, it's good to know he's caught a few babies before so he'll be an old hand if forced to deliver our child. :~)

The labor thing is very hard to predict. Hospitals do sometimes practice "cookbook" medicine. There's alot of unpredictability when it comes to labor. You can see a 100 patients who were safely sent home with contractions of X sec apart and then the one patient who looks no different but who is actually very close to delivering. There's still alot we don't understand about contractions and labor.

Maybe it's regionally popular? My cousin's son is named Cade (they have 4 boys all with "C" names... smh) and I had a student named Kade. I hear the name a lot. Again, it could be regionally popular.

The third baby in less than three years may give her a wake up call about the advisability of spacing pregnancies.

I had three under three (not quiverful, just fertile) and there is no way in the world I would have added another for at least a few years. 5 years since the last was born and I am only just considering it now.

Having a newborn and two toddlers is incredibly hard. As is two toddlers and a preschooler. I don't see how anyone could care for a newborn, two toddlers and a preschooler (who would presumably be being home schooled) all on their own.

Courtney's oldest is only 2.5, and this is number 3 :shock:

Holy shit, that's terrifying. :shock: My current only child just turned 2 almost 2 months ago and we're just now trying for a second. We didn't feel ready for more than one kid until a few months ago. I have friends who had their babies 18 months apart for reasons of age or birth control failure, but three babies in 2.5 years seems absolutely nutso to me.

Although my husband reminds me that a relative of his had their third baby when their oldest was 2 months shy of 3, and that's not too much longer than what Courtney just did. We all thought they were kind of insane. :lol:

Oh, hell. They're starting a church here in NM soon. We've got idiots enough here, we don't need any more!

Amen! We already have to deal with Texas. Please dont make us deal with this kind of crap too.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived