IGNORED

Lisa Whelchel divorced

Witsec5

That article she wrote was the saddest thing I'd read in a while. She was forced into a marriage and trying to make herself believe it was the will of God.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was kind of shocked when I read her treatise on How I Learned to Embrace the Fate That I Was Not Going To Get Out Of. That poor girl was completely railroaded. I mean, say what you will about Kelly Crawford [and I've said PLENTY] at least she clearly lusts / loves her dumb f**k husband. I'm completely bemused by how you can agree to marry someone because they take you to a shopping mall for an engagement ring. WTF? And I'm reluctant to say someone is closeted because of their mannerisms because I've known too many men that seemed gay but were definitely straight. That said, it is odd that he waited till his 30's in that culture.

Her daughter Clancy's blog has some wonderful moments!

http://clancycaubleDOTblogspot.com/2010/11/tmi.html

I love this part:

Well, ever since I got back from Fingal I've been waking up every single night to go to the bathroom. Now, that's not that weird normally BUT it NEVER happened before I went to Fingal and ever since then it's happened EVERY night!! Sometimes twice a night...and sometimes THREE!!! Weird, and annoying ESPECIALLY because I'm on the top bunk...and the bathroom is down the hall.

BUT, yesterday it hit me: maybe, God's been waking me up every night to pray for someone back home and intercede for him! So, last night I woke up without fail...and I actually remembered to pray! But, I never told the person that because what am I gunna say, "hey, I pray for you every time I pee!!....hmmmm...is all of this TMI? (too much information).

There you have it. Since I pee constantly, I must really be one God's Children ;) Wait - TMI?

I was kind of shocked when I read her treatise on How I Learned to Embrace the Fate That I Was Not Going To Get Out Of. That poor girl was completely railroaded. I mean, say what you will about Kelly Crawford [and I've said PLENTY] at least she clearly lusts / loves her dumb f**k husband. I'm completely bemused by how you can agree to marry someone because they take you to a shopping mall for an engagement ring. WTF? And I'm reluctant to say someone is closeted because of their mannerisms because I've known too many men that seemed gay but were definitely straight. That said, it is odd that he waited till his 30's in that culture.

Her daughter Clancy's blog has some wonderful moments!

http://clancycaubleDOTblogspot.com/2010/11/tmi.html

I love this part:

Well, ever since I got back from Fingal I've been waking up every single night to go to the bathroom. Now, that's not that weird normally BUT it NEVER happened before I went to Fingal and ever since then it's happened EVERY night!! Sometimes twice a night...and sometimes THREE!!! Weird, and annoying ESPECIALLY because I'm on the top bunk...and the bathroom is down the hall.

BUT, yesterday it hit me: maybe, God's been waking me up every night to pray for someone back home and intercede for him! So, last night I woke up without fail...and I actually remembered to pray! But, I never told the person that because what am I gunna say, "hey, I pray for you every time I pee!!....hmmmm...is all of this TMI? (too much information).

There you have it. Since I pee constantly, I must really be one God's Children ;) Wait - TMI?

Only once a night? That would be a good night for me! Who knew God was waking me up 3-5 times a night just to pray --silly me, I thought it was just my bladder *eyeroll*

Poor girl is probably the Jill of the family- only needed the hot sauce treatment once and she was "broken".

At least she got to go to college. Hopefully she'll have some skills if she ever decides to go mainstream.

She goes to the University of North Texas. She got engaged over the summer, so I'm not sure if she's gone back for her final year. The choice of college really surprises me. An ebil state school? Surrounded by a varied cross-section of the population?

She goes to the University of North Texas. She got engaged over the summer, so I'm not sure if she's gone back for her final year. The choice of college really surprises me. An ebil state school? Surrounded by a varied cross-section of the population?

Some fundie lite type families are ok with state schools. They probably tell their kids what and who to avoid at those state schools. My guess is that Haven only hangs out the conservative Christian types at college.

*snort* that'd be the opposite of punishment in my house. My toddler eats jalapeños off the plants. Picks em and eats em like tomatoes. I've lost some GORGEOUS lovely peppers that way. :lol:

My kid eats hot salsa with a spoon. He eats hot sauce like most kids eat ketchup, so yeah, no punishment here either! :lol:

I think my parents were creative too! I was a "bad kid" and my parents created punishments for each thing. When I didn't do my homework they would march me into class in front of everyone and make me explain that my parents had to do so because I couldn't turn it in alone. For a chubby, socially anxious kid this was hell. (I still have issues with doing homework and I'm in grad school, so I guess this didn't work). I forgot to flush the toilet when I was little sometimes and if I wouldn't admit to being the one who forgot my parents would make us sit on the floor in the bathroom so we had to smell it until we confessed. Obviously we were "defiant". For other random things I would not be allowed to sleep, they'd keep me up till I confessed whatever white lie I'd told or admitted I was wrong and apologized. Or I'd scrub the patio on my hands and knees with bleach that made me itch. Or of course they would simply spank me and if I cried they'd give me more until I could properly take the spanking (with a belt).

For years I said my parents were strict but I deserved it because I was a bad kid, blah blah blah and I turned out ok....until I realized I wasnt a bad kid (still struggle with this) and that no, I didn't turn out ok.

Fuck creative punishments.

I have had all kinds of things to say as I read this thread, but it all went out the window when I got to this post. 27, your post made me cry. Granted it's been a week full of tears for me, but that you, a CHILD, or any child for that matter could be treated this way by the very people who are supposed to keep children safe and love them unconditionally just devastated me. certainly I have read about parents behaving in ways that are the complete opposite of everything a parent should be, but the way you wrote about your upbringing as if it was just an average, middle class upbringing (I know you know it was not) just struck me. Perhaps because I was a child who took any public "humiliation" incredibly personally I could see myself either resorting to suicide in your shoes or eventually plotting my parents' demise, I am in awe that you made it through that abuse. I guess I was crying for the child you.

This is one thing that is an absolute indisputable FACT:

All children are born good. This is not/will not ever be up for debate. There is no such thing as a BAD child.

And as long as I am on my soap box please parents remember this if you remember nothing else about raising your children:

A child can do things and behave in ways that may be "bad", but your child is NOT bad. When you talk to your child or discipline them etc., do not tell your child he or she was bad. Tell them said behavior was not OK. Children are literal. Oh yes, and remember to tell them "I love you". You can never say it too often.

PS: Lisa is a child abuser.

He seems kind of... David Waller-ish. Except more so. Perhaps this has something to do with the demise of the marriage?

ETA: Guess I wasn't the only one to think this! That's what I get for not reading the whole thread before posting.

Agreed. Methinks the files are the only things that are straight in his office.

Well, of course she got divorced, she admits straight out in that Crossroads article that she kissed her not-yet-husband before they got married. What does she expect, giving away pieces of her heart like that?

Friend: "Those files are so straight."

Mr. Lisa: "Except when they are playing with me."

Friend: "Caught you red handed."

Mr. Lisa: "Where's the file police?"

:lol:

Those files are probably the only thing straight in Steve's office.

I seem to remember reading her daughter Clancy's blog at some Christian thing in Australia -- they all got up in the middle of the night because they felt like something evil was there and went around anointing doors with oil and stayed up all night praying. Struck me as odd. And yes, Steve totally pings.

Does anyone besides me think it's odd that these fundie parents put their children into the entertainment industry? Kirk and Candice Cameron, also come to mind.

Don't take it as gospel, but I don't think Kirk and Candace Cameron's parents were fundies when they started their kids in Hollywood.

As for Lisa Wechel's dad, well......money is money. I am also embarassed to report that I have enough knowledge of the US daytime soap community :oops: to know that it is CRAWLING with fundy lites.

I seem to remember reading her daughter Clancy's blog at some Christian thing in Australia -- they all got up in the middle of the night because they felt like something evil was there and went around anointing doors with oil and stayed up all night praying. Struck me as odd. And yes, Steve totally pings.

http://clancycauble.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... heart.html

I thought the same thing!

As for her refusing to make decisions for 90 days...that would infuriate my husband. I think it would piss most of them off. I don't believe in "submission" really anymore but even when I did the idea was to make my husband's life easier, not harder. Refusing to make a decision sounds...bratty.

That would drive my husband up a wall. He hates it when I can't decide on a restaurant! He has told me on numerous occasions that he married a partner, not a maid. I got mildly interested in conservative Catholicism when we first got married, and my staunchly Catholic husband about lost his mind. He can't deal with the meek and mild side :)

In a class years ago, I saw a documentary interview with the FOL director. He said that the writers had decided one of the girls had to lose her virginity, and for various reasons, they had decided it would be Blair. They knew she was hardcore Christian and they had already rewritten storylines to accommodate her. They thought that she would play this role anyway because (1) they knew the episode would be hugely successful and (2) they were prepared to let her get preachy if necessary, which was apparently an ongoing issue. Wrong. When they pitched the script, she freaked; not only did she not want to do that episode, she threatened to quit if they pursued that storyline with any character, even a walk-on. They called her bluff, and wrote the episode around Natalie. In the end, they were satisfied that Natalie was actually a better choice.

i only wish they had let natalie get deflowered by george clooney instead of the snake character, just to show the world that fat girls are desirable too.

i remember watching "700 club" with my grandmother in the early '80s and lisa whelchel was on there talking about casting couches and the temptations of hollywood, and how hard it is to remain pure in sin city. i think she was a precursor of kirk cameron syndrome- they think they are hot shit when they are just cold snot.

and now for your viewing pleasure:

lisa whelchel plays suzy roundheels, the girl who does you-know-what before she's married! i wonder if she was convicted in her heart later about defrauding leif garrett. this episode is actually 6 different parts but this was the first one i came to, and lo and behold, little lisa!

edited to try to embed but youtube is hating on me!

Does anyone besides me think it's odd that these fundie parents put their children into the entertainment industry? Kirk and Candice Cameron, also come to mind.

Iirc the Cameron parents aren't Christians or if they are they're mainstream, not even fundilite. Don't know about Lisa's fam, they do sound like they were already fundy and yeah it does seem odd.

Like others have already said, he pings...hard.

I thought that was kind of sad. She talked herself into "loving" her husband. It shouldn't work that way. He deserved someone who loved him without having to talk herself into and she deserved...eh, hot sauce on the tongue? :P

Seriously, I did find it a bit sad. I think, even in fundie land, everyone should be in love with their partner, none of this "I made a list and it convinced me" stuff. Of course, as long as people are letting the invisible sky daddy and their actual daddies pick their partners, that won't happen.

Thanks for the link to this article. I didn't read it as Lisa talking Lisa into "loving" her husband. I read it as a weak willed little egotist letting "sky daddy" talk her into marriage with a man 13 years older than she....aka a daddy figure. I have no sympathy at all.

This is one thing that is an absolute indisputable FACT:

All children are born good. This is not/will not ever be up for debate. There is no such thing as a BAD child.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/magazine/can-you-call-a-9-year-old-a-psychopath.html?pagewanted=all

I do know what you're trying to say and no, I don't believe any child deserves abuse AT ALL. But, in regards to some kids being born bad - this article I linked above makes me wonder. I've always been fascinated with the psychology of sociopaths and I wonder, reading this article, if it's possible that some children are born sociopaths. If so, what is a parent to do? (let's all agree they should never abuse them)

BTW, I think Mr. Blair is totes gay. And I've dated two closeted gay men. I know of what I speak.

IIRC, Lisa Welchel's family was conservative Christian to Fundy-lite-ish when Lisa first started acting. The family became more fundy over time. I think Lisa might also have been a catalyst within her family for the move toward greater fundyism.

I'm scared to listen to any of them...

lisawhelchel.com/showbiz/all-because-of-you

She recorded an album in the 80's with such inspirational songs as "Just Obey", "Good Girl" and "Shelter" on it.

Those first two titles there give me the willies...

Iirc the Cameron parents aren't Christians or if they are they're mainstream, not even fundilite. Don't know about Lisa's fam, they do sound like they were already fundy and yeah it does seem odd.

I read somewhere that Kirk and Candace's parents were atheists and they became religious sometime in the mid 90s.

Archived