IGNORED

Lisa Whelchel divorced

Witsec5

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Article written 11 years ago about how blessed she's been in her "arranged" marriage. She had to give up her boyfriend of two years apparently and she admitted to having absolutely no physical attraction to the hubs.

http://www.crosswalk.com/1090966/

So she basically talked herself into falling in love with him?!

Well, this got me looking at the Amazon reviews of her book. I think this review sums up her supporters:

I enjoyed the book for it's humor. However many ideas are not useful and a teacher in FL was arrested or using one of the ideas. I did find I throughly enjoyed all of the books written by Michael & Debbie Pearl as well as their teaching on Romans.

:shock:

Well, this got me looking at the Amazon reviews of her book. I think this review sums up her supporters:

:shock:

Note to self: When writing a book, write nothing that has enough similarities that I will get my name mentioned in the same sentence as the Pearls!

I LOVED FOL and especially the virginity episode because I was always a heavy girl and if Natalie was the first one to lose her virginity then there was probably hope for other chubby girls like me! I'd also like to remind everyone that George Clooney was on FOL - I had a huge crush on that hot handyman.

As for Lisa -- her "discipline" suggestions are horrific and honestly seem more damaging than some of the shit the Pearls do -- refusing a "reasonable" suggestion in order to keep kids "on their toes?" What a great way to "train" your kids to distrust you and to NOT ASK QUESTIONS.

Thanks for the Crosswalk link! I want to send a time-traveling Elizabeth Munck back to stop Lisa Whelchel's wedding and thus possibly prevent future Whelchel's horrifying "parenting" advice.

Friend: "Those files are so straight."

Mr. Lisa: "Except when they are playing with me."

Friend: "Caught you red handed."

Mr. Lisa: "Where's the file police?"

:lol:

Has this video of hubby Steve ever been posted on FJ?

vimeo.com/12278726

He seems kind of... David Waller-ish. Except more so. Perhaps this has something to do with the demise of the marriage?

ETA: Guess I wasn't the only one to think this! That's what I get for not reading the whole thread before posting.

Well, you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and sometimes you get divorced.

Sorry.

Srsly, I saw an article on her years ago, (sorry, can't remember the publisher.) Her kids were pre-teen and younger and the family traveled for a year in an RV. One great big field trip. The main topic of the article was how Lisa had decided to make NO DECiSIONS for 90 days. She wanted to see what it would be like for her husband to make all of the decisions and her to be the submissive, meek helpmeet in the RV. I remember thinking how bizarre and impossible that sounded. Never did find out how it went.

BoomerLynn, thanks for posting from Amazon. That people such as her, the Pearls, etc., have the gall to write a book that has those kinds of suggestions in it just astounds me! Silly me, I heard the name "creative" in there and just assumed it'd be non-shaming, non-spanking kinds of suggestions. Wow. Just wow. :shock:

I thought the same thing!

As for her refusing to make decisions for 90 days...that would infuriate my husband. I think it would piss most of them off. I don't believe in "submission" really anymore but even when I did the idea was to make my husband's life easier, not harder. Refusing to make a decision sounds...bratty.

Her children are young adults now, so I'm hoping they are out of range.

Ah, I haven't followed her much, aside from her parenting methods. Fervently advocating said methods, then. Either way, pretty vile.

I can't be the only one with the Jungle Book song stuck in my head now.. "blair necessities".. really?

I was young when I was glued to Facts of Life, but wasn't Blair the blond goofy chick and Natalie was the the slightly overweight younger girl?

As for her refusing to make decisions for 90 days...that would infuriate my husband. I think it would piss most of them off. I don't believe in "submission" really anymore but even when I did the idea was to make my husband's life easier, not harder. Refusing to make a decision sounds...bratty.

Or a passive aggressive protest of some sort.

Has this video of hubby Steve ever been posted on FJ?

vimeo.com/12278726

Like others have already said, he pings...hard.

Article written 11 years ago about how blessed she's been in her "arranged" marriage. She had to give up her boyfriend of two years apparently and she admitted to having absolutely no physical attraction to the hubs.

http://www.crosswalk.com/1090966/

I thought that was kind of sad. She talked herself into "loving" her husband. It shouldn't work that way. He deserved someone who loved him without having to talk herself into and she deserved...eh, hot sauce on the tongue? :P

Seriously, I did find it a bit sad. I think, even in fundie land, everyone should be in love with their partner, none of this "I made a list and it convinced me" stuff. Of course, as long as people are letting the invisible sky daddy and their actual daddies pick their partners, that won't happen.

It sounds like he railroaded her into the marriage and it was announced before she had properly agreed. Her loving him was probably irrelevant I'm guessing his eyes would have been on the best man.

IMO Steve a 30 something 'in the closet' gay guy was probably getting the hint to settle down from his fundie buddies. It was probably starting to look weird that he was still single. Who is the best person to advance his ministry ? The member of the congregation tv star. She has a ready made public profile and the confidence for public speaking to sell his brand.

I think my parents were creative too! I was a "bad kid" and my parents created punishments for each thing. When I didn't do my homework they would march me into class in front of everyone and make me explain that my parents had to do so because I couldn't turn it in alone. For a chubby, socially anxious kid this was hell. (I still have issues with doing homework and I'm in grad school, so I guess this didn't work). I forgot to flush the toilet when I was little sometimes and if I wouldn't admit to being the one who forgot my parents would make us sit on the floor in the bathroom so we had to smell it until we confessed. Obviously we were "defiant". For other random things I would not be allowed to sleep, they'd keep me up till I confessed whatever white lie I'd told or admitted I was wrong and apologized. Or I'd scrub the patio on my hands and knees with bleach that made me itch. Or of course they would simply spank me and if I cried they'd give me more until I could properly take the spanking (with a belt).

For years I said my parents were strict but I deserved it because I was a bad kid, blah blah blah and I turned out ok....until I realized I wasnt a bad kid (still struggle with this) and that no, I didn't turn out ok.

Fuck creative punishments.

She was just on some talk show (The View, I think) that I watched half-heartedly. Could have sworn she didn't mention the divorce. Is this being made public now to drum up Survivor viewers?

I don't know how these kinds of abuse are condoned or overlooked alltogether in the name of god. If a regular mom from a middle class family in the inner city was found to be using half these techniques, she'd have CPS down her throat quick as shit, but if you put a christian label on it suddenly you can not only get away with it, you can write a book about it and slather it all over the internet. Amazing.

I don't know how these kinds of abuse are condoned or overlooked alltogether in the name of god. If a regular mom from a middle class family in the inner city was found to be using half these techniques, she'd have CPS down her throat quick as shit, but if you put a christian label on it suddenly you can not only get away with it, you can write a book about it and slather it all over the internet. Amazing.

So much this. I also do not understand why any business would be willing to sell such books. They are basically how-to guides for child abuse but people refuse to see it because it was written by "good Christians" and we all know "Christians" would never abuse their children. :roll: Children have died from these methods and yet these books are still on the market. I will never understand this.

OMG, I was pinging madly before I even pushed the "play" button. And the way he said "streaming on the web" was quite defrauding and naughty. What a WEIRD video. He seems much more attractive to me than his ex--but I'd rather go shopping with him than go to bed with him. I'm not sure how she coaxed all those spawn out of him and I guess I'd rather not speculate because there's a major ick factor. I like cute gay guys, but I don't like cute gay guys forced to pretend they're straight. It's tragic to think of him sublimating by "straightening" his files while the desperate helpmeet hot-sauces his kids.

I think my parents were creative too! I was a "bad kid" and my parents created punishments for each thing. When I didn't do my homework they would march me into class in front of everyone and make me explain that my parents had to do so because I couldn't turn it in alone. For a chubby, socially anxious kid this was hell. (I still have issues with doing homework and I'm in grad school, so I guess this didn't work). I forgot to flush the toilet when I was little sometimes and if I wouldn't admit to being the one who forgot my parents would make us sit on the floor in the bathroom so we had to smell it until we confessed. Obviously we were "defiant". For other random things I would not be allowed to sleep, they'd keep me up till I confessed whatever white lie I'd told or admitted I was wrong and apologized. Or I'd scrub the patio on my hands and knees with bleach that made me itch. Or of course they would simply spank me and if I cried they'd give me more until I could properly take the spanking (with a belt).

For years I said my parents were strict but I deserved it because I was a bad kid, blah blah blah and I turned out ok....until I realized I wasnt a bad kid (still struggle with this) and that no, I didn't turn out ok.

Fuck creative punishments.

My heart aches for you. This is the kind of shit my mother pulled with my "difficult" middle sister, whose only offense was looking exactly the mother-in-law my mother loathed. When we were in our 20s, I told my sister, "You may have been a stubborn kid, but SHE WAS THE ADULT.". My sister says that my saying so set her free.

27RS, I am so sorry your parents betrayed you this way. I understand...my father was also "creative" like this. I now recognize it for what it was--seriously fucked up outright abuse--but I'm not sure we ever really get over it. Are Lisa W's kids "OK"? On some level they are: they're functioning young adults. Still, those scars are deep, they mess with your basic sense of self, and they don't heal easily.

Archived