IGNORED

David Waller - Marathoner

Peas n carrots

Good for him, I think it's amazing that anyone can finish a marathon, much less in that time. He's faster than Paul Ryan's actual time! He does seem to have more innate athletic ability than average. Imagine how well he could do if he had the opportunity to run with a high school (then college) cross country team. I do have a hard time believing he could run that well without training beforehand, but I wouldn't be surprised if he left out the training part to it all seem more special and God given. It's entirely possible that he doesn't know exactly how impressive his time is.

As for the clothes, After a summer of training, I finally stepped up from 5k to 10k. Even at 5-6 miles per run, I have nice little rough patches from chafing at certain spots under bra straps and along the waist band of my leggings... I can't imaging running in anything not actually designed for physical activity, much less for 26 miles.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooo....there should be a running thread in chatter. Thoughts can talk about the benefits of running in Dockers vs. Eddie Bauer khakis :lol:

Yes, a running geek thread in Chatter should happen!

As for the clothes, After a summer of training, I finally stepped up from 5k to 10k. Even at 5-6 miles per run, I have nice little rough patches from chafing at certain spots under bra straps and along the waist band of my leggings... I can't imaging running in anything not actually designed for physical activity, much less for 26 miles.

I also just stepped up to 10 K distances, and I have one or two spots that chafe no matter what kind of equipment I wear. All I can think seeing David Waller's khakis and polo running "gear" is how uncomfortable that has to be!

I have run a few marathons in my past and even with lots of training, proper clothing, socks, gallons of body glide, and well fitted shoes. I would end every race with serious blisters and lots of places that were rubbed raw. I can't imagine doing any amount of running in kakhi pants, although, the one group of Marines at the Marine Corp Marathon run in their dress uniforms and a few of them carry a flag for the race. Although, they probably have had more training than David.

Of course, we won't hear about any of his struggles, bleeding nipples, blister riddled feet because he didn't suffer any of these things because god lifted him up on golden eagle wings for the entire marathon and blessed every step he ran because David has a tender and loving heart that is open wide to receive god's grace.

I have run a few marathons in my past and even with lots of training, proper clothing, socks, gallons of body glide, and well fitted shoes. I would end every race with serious blisters and lots of places that were rubbed raw. I can't imagine doing any amount of running in kakhi pants, although, the one group of Marines at the Marine Corp Marathon run in their dress uniforms and a few of them carry a flag for the race. Although, they probably have had more training than David.

Of course, we won't hear about any of his struggles, bleeding nipples, blister riddled feet because he didn't suffer any of these things because god lifted him up on golden eagle wings for the entire marathon and blessed every step he ran because David has a tender and loving heart that is open wide to receive god's grace.

I'm a pretty experienced runner (done lots of marys and some ultra stuff) and I always end up with some awesome chafe. I also always lose two toenails. I even lost my big toenail after an Ironman (ewww).

I'm sure David came out unscathed, though.

I'm a pretty experienced runner (done lots of marys and some ultra stuff) and I always end up with some awesome chafe. I also always lose two toenails. I even lost my big toenail after an Ironman (ewww).

I have lost a few toenails as well. Most get damaged on my shorter runs. Ultras scare me. Congrats on facing that beast. David's body is god's special temple so, of course, he came out unscathed.

A guy in my running group just started losing toenails. According to his doctor, you're either the kind of person who loses toenails, or you aren't. Also I nice WTF moment on Saturday was learning the guys in the group were completely unaware that women chafe too. We were joking about being unable to walk the next day, and one guy said he knew why the guys had trouble, but couldn't understand why the women in the group had problems. Fortunately there are several health professionals in the group, and he learned a lot.

I'M NOT WORTHY!!!! That is so amazing you did an Ironman. I've been thinking about getting into tri's, especially since I have injury problems with running. I'm a decently strong swimmer and I'm a quick runner, but I don't have much cycling background. I have a really shitty old bike, and so to compete I have to upgrade. However, I'm not sure if I'm 100% gung ho on tri's so I don't want to buy a nice bike and end up never riding it.

A guy in my running group just started losing toenails. According to his doctor, you're either the kind of person who loses toenails, or you aren't. Also I nice WTF moment on Saturday was learning the guys in the group were completely unaware that women chafe too. We were joking about being unable to walk the next day, and one guy said he knew why the guys had trouble, but couldn't understand why the women in the group had problems. Fortunately there are several health professionals in the group, and he learned a lot.

Really? About the toenails. I always thought it was from the end of the toe hitting the shoe and thus causing damage to the toe nail. I lose my toenails after a bruise appears under them. I just thought I lost them due to lack of blood flow. A running group needs to start under chatter.

I was shocked about the places that could chafe, but I imagine having the seams of pants rubbing on your legs would for sure cause some serious chafing. Good for David for running a marathon regardless of what he wore. I would just like to know how well his body held up in the clothing he was wearing. If I could get away with just wearing street clothes then I would be able to save some money.

@Peas n Carrots: have you thought about doing a group tri? That way you can focus on your strengthens and let the team do the other parts. Even doing part is hard work. Then you could see if you wanted to do all three parts as you got more involved.

For those of you who chafe, do you chafe even if you use vaseline? I've run 10+ marathons, and vaseline seems to keep me out of trouble...for the most part.

As for David, he doesn't look quite sweaty enough for me, unless it was an extremely cold day. By the time I finish a marathon, you can see the white marks on my clothing where the salt has sweated through, and crusted back up; no matter how cold out it is.

I tend to chafe after a while, no matter how much BodyGlide I put on. I've also been missing the same toenail since my first marathon in 2005 (Destroyed. Utterly. Plus a couple more are thinking about joining it.)

Archived