IGNORED

David Waller - Marathoner

Peas n carrots

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also the fact that he had never run a race before, and expected to run a marathon in under 4 hours. Because you know, running 26.2 miles when you have never have done a race before is totally a breeze.

I checked the race results; to my surprise, he finished in 3:55:08. Imagine how much faster he'd have been -- and how much more comfortable his nipples would've been -- if he wore appropriate clothing.

(And your comment was hilarious, by the way. I hope the Lord lays it on his heart to approve it.)

How odd to just up and decide to do a marathon without any training. Even stranger to not have the foresight to think about appropriate gear. He mentions all the stuff he didn't bring on the run. I wonder what that possibly could have been.

Heck, I get on the treadmill for an hour 3-4x a week, and I'm a freak about my shoes and how the laces lay so they don't rub my lower legs. Must be double knotted, and I roll my socks down over the laces so they can't bug me.

Not to mention baby powder with corn starch to sensitive areas, a particular bra, and I only have a couple of pairs of underwear that don't irritate me while I'm working out, even with the legging-type workout pants.

This is just weird, weird, weird. He must have been in pretty good shape to start with though, based on the finish time.

I can't imagine the nasty nipples afterwards though. Who knows though, maybe he liked the pain?

Maybe he wears running tights under his slacks?

I will say this--at least he DOES get out and RUN!!! That's a good thing. Who cares what he wears--he's going to be healthier than most couch potato Americans, this author included!

How odd to just up and decide to do a marathon without any training. Even stranger to not have the foresight to think about appropriate gear. He mentions all the stuff he didn't bring on the run. I wonder what that possibly could have been.

I truly doubt he did it without any training or planning. I am a very athletic person (triathlete, endurance runner) and I would never just hop into a marathon without training for it. It's a really good way to get injured.

I guess if you have God on your side...

I said it in the other thread, and I'll say it here... I love how every aspect of the marathon disclosed some great epiphany about God :roll:

This is Onion-level ridiculousness. He ran a marathon in sensible slacks? I wonder if he had Priscilla iron a crease in them before he ran. Do fundies shower in WholesomeWear? No one is turned on by your knees!

Seriously though, you can get bleeding nipples due to chafing if you run that far in a regular cotton t-shirt. I hope he had some kind of something under that polo. And some wedgie-free Underoos. Lawd, these people.

Ooh, the pants were even pleated so as to not be tight ever at all.

Well. Can't risk showing a boner, especially with all those sweaty shirtless men WOMEN around. :whistle:

Well. Can't risk showing a boner, especially with all those sweaty shirtless men WOMEN around. :whistle:

Is your avatar from Space Mutiny LOL? OMG that epi cracks me up...the names they have for Dave Ryder are amazing.

Good eye! I can't seem to settle on one avatar, so I just keep going through my favorite MST3K episodes. And this month just happens to be Dirk Hardpec/Blast Hardcheese/Flint Ironstag/Buck Plankchest/Smash Lampjaw/Big McLargehuge's turn.

Also the fact that he had never run a race before, and expected to run a marathon in under 4 hours. Because you know, running 26.2 miles when you have never have done a race before is totally a breeze.

My daughter's birth aunt ran her first marathon ever in the Marine Corps Marathon in 1994, she finished in 1st place for the women with a time of 2:39:34. It was the year Oprah ran the Marathon. She had Susie on her show for winning 1st place as a first time marathoner. My daughter saw the show but didn't know at the time Susie was her birth mother's sister. It was a year later that we found my daughter's family. So yes, you can finish a first time marathon in under 4 hours.

But wearing those pants, ouch.

He didn't say he didn't train, just that he had never raced. A 3:55 is a great time, and someone who did not train/already have a strong running base would be seriously unlikely to achieve that (unless there was something magical about the ATI-issue "running" gear of course).

I have read accounts of people running marathons without training for them on the spur of the moment. Most of these accounts were from the first running boom in the 70s and I think that most of the runners who did this and lived to tell about it were the elite runners who were already really, really good. I do think I recall that Scott Jurek ran his first ultra without training for it and I also remember that Dean Karnazes just went out for a run one evening and just did not stop until he'd run about 30 miles or so. Scott and Dean are both elites, though, and normal people just can't do what they've done.

A bigger concern is that some runners, especially runners for charity, go into marathons unprepared and under-trained. Team in Training, which raises funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, likes to pitch their program to inexperienced runners. There's a real question as to whether many of the charity runners ever run another step after they finish their race. Running just doesn't seem to stick.

My daughter's birth aunt ran her first marathon ever in the Marine Corps Marathon in 1994, she finished in 1st place for the women with a time of 2:39:34. It was the year Oprah ran the Marathon. She had Susie on her show for winning 1st place as a first time marathoner. My daughter saw the show but didn't know at the time Susie was her birth mother's sister. It was a year later that we found my daughter's family. So yes, you can finish a first time marathon in under 4 hours.

But wearing those pants, ouch.

I bow to your daughters birth aunt! That is time that at least as of today would qualify her for the Olympic trials. However, for the extreme vast majority of people running under 4 hours -much less under 3 hours -is not going to happen even if you trained well.

I begrudgingly give David a hats off for a very respectable time (which is only 12 minutes slower than my PR). But I don't get the feeling from his post that he trained much at all. If he had been training on a regular basis I would think he would have known that heavy cotton is not comfortable to run in.

I bow to your daughters birth aunt! That is time that at least as of today would qualify her for the Olympic trials. However, for the extreme vast majority of people running under 4 hours -much less under 3 hours -is not going to happen even if you trained well.

I begrudgingly give David a hats off for a very respectable time (which is only 12 minutes slower than my PR). But I don't get the feeling from his post that he trained much at all. If he had been training on a regular basis I would think he would have known that heavy cotton is not comfortable to run in.

Maybe he left out any reference to whatever level of training he did because he seems more "holy" that way? You know, like it's not all Jesus all the time if you are actually planning and executing a sensible training program? I'm just skeptical that even a healthy, strong young man could pull off a sub-4:00 without putting in some structured training.*

*makes note to self to have Jesus run RnR Vegas Marathon for me in December. Although I'm more likely to get encouragement from some kindly folks running as Elvii.

Maybe he left out any reference to whatever level of training he did because he seems more "holy" that way? You know, like it's not all Jesus all the time if you are actually planning and executing a sensible training program? I'm just skeptical that even a healthy, strong young man could pull off a sub-4:00 without putting in some structured training.*

*makes note to self to have Jesus run RnR Vegas Marathon for me in December. Although I'm more likely to get encouragement from some kindly folks running as Elvii.

You should get Ryan Hall's coach....God

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2012/07/18/exp-olympic-marathoner-god-is-my-coach.cnn

I don't get the pants thing. At all. They want to draw attention to appropriateness or whatever, but they just keep putting themselves and their bodies in the spotlight over and over. It's more of a look-at-me! than any mini skirt or whatever.

Even a t shirt, what's the objection? Hell, get a Bro or Underarmor if you're concerned with nipples.

That makes me LOL. I ran the Proud To Run 10K this past summer...I would love to do a Pride Marathon as well. Methinks David be positively defrauded by the very fit young men running that race in very small tight shorts.

The crap part is that the marathon was crashed b/c pride parades are banned in Russia :x

At least he didn't run in a suit and tie. Yet anyway.

But seriously...he writes about preparing for a race and laying aside every weight... Blah blah blah... And then he wears TWO shirts?! And like you guys mentioned, SLACKS?!

One thing the Wallers (especially David) have always seemed to have down is that verse I remember well from Gothard, "let everything be done decently and in order." Maybe someone should tell them that doesn't mean you wear dress clothes for everything though. But they wouldn't want to come close to disobeying the holy scriptures especially when they use a verse to strut their image so well. :naughty:

Good for you for your plans to run the RnR Vegas mary in December! I'd love to hear all about it over in Chatter once you've recovered.

I can't imagine the nasty nipples afterwards though. Who knows though, maybe he liked the pain?

Poor Prissy if David is into anything like that! Wait... Yeah, maybe not.

Good for you for your plans to run the RnR Vegas mary in December! I'd love to hear all about it over in Chatter once you've recovered.

Ooo....there should be a running thread in chatter. Thoughts can talk about the benefits of running in Dockers vs. Eddie Bauer khakis :lol:

Kudos to him for doing a marathon but that does not look like a comfy outfit. I think there is a broad range of comfy running clothes (not all revealing) but his clothes are not it. Hilarious how he also says he was thinking about things that would be nice to have on the run, but ended up leaving most behind, and should have left others behind because of the weight? What is he talking about. I can only think of drinks and maybe a snack (but they have drinks alongside, generally), maybe your phone, what else could you possibly thing would be needed or even nice on a run, enough that you can leave half behind and still carry a heavy lot of stuff???

His writing style is awful. It's funny how active they are compared to Smuggar and wife though. They seem very proud of it.

Archived