IGNORED

David Waller - Marathoner

Peas n carrots

I know this was touched upon in the expecting post, (and thank a dear friend of mine who is an FJ lurker for bringing this to light - you know who you are ;) )...but this deserves a post of it's own.

davidlovespriscilla.com/2012/09/13/do-you-pass-the-running-tests/

As an active runner...all I can say is "OMFG HE RAN A MARATHON IN SLACKS AND A POLO." The chafing must have been unimaginable.

post-1800-1445199718288_thumb.jpg

I've seen people run in some pretty weird shit, but generally it was in running gear with a costume over top.

I wonder if it's against fundie rules to wear athletic clothing? It's just really, really strange.

Also the fact that he had never run a race before, and expected to run a marathon in under 4 hours. Because you know, running 26.2 miles when you have never have done a race before is totally a breeze.

ETA photo...because it just makes the post

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of think there is some rule against athletic clothing because the Duggars wore jeans at running thing for the Courageous movie. David could have least wore sweat pants which would have been more comfortable. On a sidenote, David kind of reminds me of Jesse Plemons from Friday Night Lights.

I know shorts are frowned upon in the Gothard world, but what on earth is wrong with athletic pants? Those would still be uncomfortable for a marathon, but he could wear running tights or bike shorts underneath. And it seems like athletic gear for women is frowned upon, too. There are "Exerskirts" out there for Orthodox Jewish women and for fundies, why can't they wear those? I've been bothered by this one since the 5K scene in Courageous that the Duggars filmed when the girls didn't participate and the boys ran in jeans. It seems really impractical.

I don't get it...men's tech gear can be modest. If he's worried about that a long sleeved tech top and running pants (not tights) would be far more comfortable. I don't get why there would be a prohibition against tech material....

I know shorts are frowned upon in the Gothard world, but what on earth is wrong with athletic pants? Those would still be uncomfortable for a marathon, but he could wear running tights or bike shorts underneath. And it seems like athletic gear for women is frowned upon, too. There are "Exerskirts" out there for Orthodox Jewish women and for fundies, why can't they wear those? I've been bothered by this one since the 5K scene in Courageous that the Duggars filmed when the girls didn't participate and the boys ran in jeans. It seems really impractical.

I've seen Orthodox Women run in those too as well as Muslim women in like tech gear veils.

I left this comment on his blog in my best Christianese

I was fellowshipping with my CHRIST-loving sisters when I read about your journey, and the following came to mind:

"The God who has girded me with strength has opened wide my path. He made my feet like the feet of deer, and set me secure on the heights."

- 2 Samuel 22:33-34

David, may you be blessed on your run with CHRIST. I hope you open your heart to the LORD and to tech gear.

I'm sure the running in jeans is just because they don't have athletic clothes. Although they do have that weird rule about not wearing pjs downstairs so...

I can barely stand to wear jeans to grocery shop, much less to run a marathon. Or even a 5K.

Don't forget it's all about showing people how "convicted" they are to maintain "modesty" at all times. It's the "we can do anything and still remain modest, by damn." Of course wearing running pants would still be modest but it wouldn't attract nearly the same amount of attention as the pants and polo shirt. There would be no way for him to stand out. It's all just a big show.

I'm sure the running in jeans is just because they don't have athletic clothes. Although they do have that weird rule about not wearing pjs downstairs so...

I can barely stand to wear jeans to grocery shop, much less to run a marathon. Or even a 5K.

I'm wondering if they just aren't aware of running clothes? I know they can be expensive, but I've noticed Old Navy and Target have workout gear that is affordable. Other than shorts and singlets I don't think much of it would be considered defrauding.

I'm just perplexed on so many levels.

I wonder if any of the marathoners ran shirtless and Priscilla got defrauded.

Or I wonder if he was constantly being defrauded by all those shirtless marathoners :lol:

Or I wonder if he was constantly being defrauded by all those shirtless marathoners :lol:

Forgot about that lol. I admit, I don't have good gaydar, but David pings. He probably got defrauded seeing some of the guys who wore bike shorts and running tights.

I kind of think there is some rule against athletic clothing because the Duggars wore jeans at running thing for the Courageous movie. David could have least wore sweat pants which would have been more comfortable. On a sidenote, David kind of reminds me of Jesse Plemons from Friday Night Lights.

Jesse Plemons plays the son of the cult leader in the new movie "The Master"! One of his lines in the trailer is, "You know he's just making this stuff up as he goes, right?"

Jesse Plemons plays the son of the cult leader in the new movie "The Master"! One of his lines in the trailer is, "You know he's just making this stuff up as he goes, right?"

I saw that in the trailer the other day and I said "Landry" when I saw him. The casting directors got that right. Jesse looks a lot like Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

I've seen Orthodox Women run in those too as well as Muslim women in like tech gear veils.

I live in a really culturally diverse area, and there are women at my YMCA who regularly work out in that stuff, and there are guys who are never in anything but long pants, even in the hot summer. I just really don't get the lack of practicality. It baffles me.

Don't forget it's all about showing people how "convicted" they are to maintain "modesty" at all times. It's the "we can do anything and still remain modest, by damn." Of course wearing running pants would still be modest but it wouldn't attract nearly the same amount of attention as the pants and polo shirt. There would be no way for him to stand out. It's all just a big show.

You are probably right about that!

Yeah, just wear some running pants and a tech shirt, with long sleeves if need be. Be sure to wear Nip Guards too.

There was a professor at Bob Jones who was active in the local running community. I saw a photo of him wearing running tights with running shorts over them. I don't remember what his shirt was like although I doubt he was wearing a singlet. There's also a Chabad rabbi who ran the NYC marathon wearing long running pants, a long-sleeved top, and a knit cap.

I used to wear shorts and a singlet or shimmel even when the temperature dropped to the upper 30s. Tights weren't necessary until it got colder. As long as I kept my hands warm, I'd be comfortable after a few minutes.

Maybe David ran this marathon the same way Katie Holmes "ran" the NYC mary a few years ago; i.e., she didn't! She started off, then nobody recalled seeing her until the last couple of miles, and she finishes fresh as a daisy.

Before running, I carefully examined the options of which race would be best suited to my schedule, what the type of people would be running, and what the course would be like.

WTF does that mean? I mean, putting aside the grammatical issues, who thinks about that and in what context? Like, what gender? Athletic ability? I am seriously confused. I don't know these fundies but are they really sheltered, be not of or in the world types?

WTF does that mean? I mean, putting aside the grammatical issues, who thinks about that and in what context? Like, what gender? Athletic ability? I am seriously confused. I don't know these fundies but are they really sheltered, be not of or in the world types?

He is such an annoying little fart isn't he? Perhaps he only wants to run with people who can pass his Good Person Test.

Also, he has such limited life experiences. He ran this race 2 years ago and is still using it for his little sermonettes. I liked this bit too:

"As I was running, I remember thinking back to the beginning of the race and the crowd of runners who pressed forward at the starting signal, the excitement, the throng. But now I really did not see many people at all. I wondered what happened to the rest of them."

Probably you were eating their dust, sweetheart, because they had trained for the race and were wearing sensible running gear.

That's just weird. Just imagining the chafe wearing something like that for 26.2 miles makes me hurt. When I run marathons, it's all about comfort and body glide.

I think another poster got it right by saying he has to prove how "convicted" he is (i.e. how much better he is than everyone else).

Brilliant. :clap:

You are probably right about that!

Definitely! Gothardism is all about "look at me! I'm better than you!" They can't even risk blending in while running a freaking marathon!

I seriously wonder if he sleeps in pjs or just wears his polo and pressed khakis to bed, complete with belt and tucked in shirt.

Exactly. Or even if he goes to the beach...does he wear slacks and a polo? Or does he even get naked when he bathes?

Archived