IGNORED

Oldest In A Shoe Daughter Gets Married

titus2_4u

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I only saw two 4-person bunks. What about the other/s? Infants, sleeping with parents?

The two youngest girls share a bed:

The 2 youngest girls share a bed. Since they’re 3yo and a petite 6yo, their feet just meet in the middle of the 6.5″ bed.

That was in July of 2011...

I guess its true, one had to get married off just so the others could get a bed for themselves... :cry:

Just checked the wedding posts again... why are so many of the children BAREFOOT?

Seriously? BUY SOME FREAKING SHOES... Stop wearing your poverty like its a badge of honour, seriously I find them disgusting.

:shock: Holy mother Mary!!! And what is with there being no carpet or flooring!?! just freaking raw wood it looks like?

Seriously you have WAY too many freaking kids if you have to resort to shelving and don't have flooring and shit, this is insane!!! :evil:

ETA; Just read some more, the shelving beds are only 2 feet wide!!! and they don't have them nailed to the wall (in comments) How the HELL does no one fall out?

:o Oh my. I missed the comment about not attaching them to the wall. Holy crap. At my work (furniture store mentioned in the post) we strongly suggest attaching anything over about hip height. And that's for bookshelves and drawer units that won't be supporting the weight of even ONE human. I've had enough bookshelves and wardrobes fall on me while building/attaching them to know it's an absolute miracle those shelves haven't fallen yet. Unless they have and it just didn't warrant a mention. Sigh.

Here's a post where they decided to put in safety rails.

inashoe.com/2011/04/4-moms-qa-sleep-exercise-and-making-do-with-one-bathroom/

It appears the walls next to the "beds" don't go all the way up to the ceiling. What sort of room is that?

How do you work one bathroom?

The short answer is: barely. It was pretty easy 6 years ago when most of the kids were little and there were less of them. Now that nearly everyone in the house wants or needs daily showers, it’s becoming a balancing act.

But keep in mind that just one or two generations ago it was nearly unheard of to have more than one bathroom, and households our size were not really unusual. This is what we keep telling each other while we stand in line outside the bathroom door.

Oh – and we actually do have more than one restroom. There’s an additional facility outside for the males in the family. It’s called The Woods.

:x NASTY! She also mentions wearing the same clothes for two days... :?

Seriously, the more I am reading this blog the more I am just appalled these people live like this let alone raising children like this. I really can't find anything positive about them. Their smugness and attitude overwhelms the posts they make, they are seriously proud to be living this way.

It appears the walls next to the "beds" don't go all the way up to the ceiling. What sort of room is that?

I think that the wall between the two bedrooms, one which is now a library, was originally meant to be temporary? And then eventually removed to create one large room when they built an extension. I may be wrong though, so don't quote me...

Really? I don't think it's that bad to ask good friends/relatives to bring something if you are doing a low-key self-catered wedding - they probably offered anyway

Sorry, yes, I do think it's tacky. The way I see it, a wedding doesn't have to include a meal, but whatever is served--even if it's a simple cake/punch/coffee reception--should be provided by the hosts. I understand that in some cultures/regions, potlucks are the norm, and this could very well be the case here, but the fact that she had to ask her guests to bring stuff makes me think otherwise. If they had offered, don't you think she would have just said so? On a day when wedding guests have enough to worry about--clearing their schedules, getting an outfit, getting a gift, figuring out directions to the wedding/reception site, I think it's rude to ask them to worry about cooking, hauling, and storing food for the reception as well.

I think it's hideous snobbery to pass judgement on anything a host offers to guests. The nicest, most memorable wedding I've been to was done on a shoestring, and what was so touching was that guests shared in the preparations and made it a really special personal event.

There is way more snarkworthy material in this family's lifestyle than in the way they fed their wedding guests, IMO. :)

I agree. I think having loved ones pitch in if they are willing and interested serves only to make the wedding more special. I also don't think that everyone who doesn't have thousands to spend on a food budget needs to head to the justice of the peace and skip the wedding. Most wedding food I've had isn't that great anyway.

It also seems to me that there's plenty of much more serious material to snark on with this family than kids kicking off their shoes at the first opportunity (what kid doesn't?) or not bathing an elementary-aged or younger child every day. Unless they have a daily habit of making mud pies, most small kids don't need a daily bath or shower, and it's actually better for their skin and hair overall not to.

The guns, the Costco shelving, the beyond creeptastic father, and the dangerous theology and lifestyle they are so intent on spreading to the masses ... that's where my concern lies with this crew.

I can only think of a couple of weddings i've been to that weren't potluck-style. Maybe it's a rural midwest thing? I don't know where these folks hail from. Usually in my area the people hosting the wedding provide the wedding cake, drinks and a main course/dish (usually a few types of meat) and the rest of the guests bring a dish they want to share. A side or appetizer of some variety. It's not about saving money, but more so because a lot of people like showing off their cooking abilities at events like a wedding, baby shower, funeral, church fundraiser, etc. I swear there is a potluck every other week in my town for something or the other.

On another note, I really liked that green dress on whichever sister was the maid of honor.

They recently buy a bigger house in the city, so you are going to have to find some other motives to criticise them besides poverty.

The criticisms happen mostly because a lot of fundie families have more children than they can support and some of the corners they cut, ends up effecting their children in various ways.

They recently buy a bigger house in the city, so you are going to have to find some other motives to criticise them besides poverty.

We still have the fact that they are raising their children in the Vision Forum dominist, patriarchal way of life. I know in one of your earlie posts you talk about really liking their blog, what exactly do you like about it?

BOUGHT. It's bought. They buy, in the present tense. They bought, in the past tense. :roll:

Also, I don't think it would take much research or thought to realize that the size of their home is only a small part of what is criticized about them, and that it is done because it is representative of the lifestyle they are living in, in general.

In other words, it's not the house, it's the lifestyle within the house. It's the fact that the size of the house, in relation to the number of people crammed into, makes it clear that they cannot support said lifestyle.

And the fact that they think so little of their children that they have let them live like that for years. Children are collectible objects to them, not blessings from God.

I find a lot of things about this family odd, but I must say the wedding sounded lovely to me and much nicer than my own. ;-)

Hubby and I spent under 2000 and that included our clothes. :)

We rented the church for 400

paid 100 for my dress

Bridesmaids dresses were 7.50 Target clearance dresses (although we had 9 attendants, 2 flower girls, and 2 ring bearers :)) The guys wore jeans and black t-shirts, Hubby was in jeans and a white button up

We served powdered iced tea, water, m&ms pretzels, and costco cake

My wedding cake was a gift

Flowers and decorations were 100

We had friends do our pictures (my one regret)

ETA: We were gonna do potluck style, but Mama convinces us not to because she said if people brought food to share they wouldn't bring a gift. ;-)

And the fact that they think so little of their children that they have let them live like that for years. Children are collectible objects to them, not blessings from God.

Exactly.

DiDi, I was married for less than you, even, because I eloped. ;)

Oh no, no, no. Not 5 kids to a bedroom. 9 kids to a bedroom, with the third bedroom turned into a library.

Here's the shelf beds:

inashoe.com/2010/09/4-moms-open-house-linky-bedrooms-part-2/

The shelving units as beds makes me so angry. Those kids aren't products OR military recruit's! (The military is made up of ADULTS who CHOOSE the life, for one thing.) Stuffing 9 kids into one bedroom has got to be so unhealthy in a myriad of ways. Not even getting into a lack of air conditioning! YOU HAVE TOO MANY KIDS, LADY! Being able to provide for your kids is a PREREQUISITE for being a parent!

Ugh, one fundy friend who follows LiaS blog thinks the shelving is a CUTE and great idea. *headdesk*

I can't make fun of the wedding since mine was fairly small and cheap. We paid for it ourselves and we were poor, plus I would have rather spent the money on a honeymoon.

I personally wouldn't do a bring-your-own-dish wedding reception, but I have been to several that were like that.

The shelving units as beds makes me so angry. Those kids aren't products OR military recruit's! (The military is made up of ADULTS who CHOOSE the life, for one thing.) Stuffing 9 kids into one bedroom has got to be so unhealthy in a myriad of ways. Not even getting into a lack of air conditioning! YOU HAVE TOO MANY KIDS, LADY! Being able to provide for your kids is a PREREQUISITE for being a parent!

Ugh, one fundy friend who follows LiaS blog thinks the shelving is a CUTE and great idea. *headdesk*

Agreed. I think having kids to some of these people really is no more than having a notch on the belt.

"Well, there's another one! Now we can say we have xx#. Let's not waste time making another, we have to keep up with the Jones'!"

The nicest wedding I have ever been to was also the only wedding I've attended without professional caterers. The bride's mother's card club offered to bring the food. This group of friends was very close and they all helped out in one way or another at their kids weddings. The bride and groom were thrilled with this personal gesture extended to them and the food was delicious! Much better than the over-cooked, dried stuff I have had at professionally catered weddings. So I won't snark on the wedding food here. What I will snark on is this:

a.) They have lived in that house forever and the kids don't have flooring in their bedrooms. Even those stick-on tiles, which are cheap and easy to install, are better than nothing. I read once where Perry said no more projects until the e-books are finished. Isn't providing a safe floor more important than doing a dumb e-book?

b.) Their new house is apparently 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms and 30 years old. Seems like a nice home for people who couldn't even afford to put proper flooring in their kids rooms.

I think the picture posted of the bride's parents, bride, and groom is a strange one for the mother of the bride to choose to post. It very much emphasizes the pregnancy of the bride's mother. Seems tacky to me.

Also, the groom looks extremely young. I noticed the mother declined to say what he does for a living. Probably "safe at home" with his parents and now his young wife too.

San Antonio is where Dougie lives, right? Maybe the groom is one of his flock.

The two youngest girls share a bed:

That was in July of 2011...

I guess its true, one had to get married off just so the others could get a bed for themselves... :cry:

What makes it even sadder is that the 2 youngest girls were not actually the 2 youngest children. They gave the 4yo boy a bed to himself and the little girls had to share.

I don't think there will be any surprise grand-blessings @ LiaS, although it's certainly possible. I just think they were trying to make sure the wedding was done before the new baby is born, with a few weeks for a cushion. Plus Deanna has been pining to be married since she was like 16, so it doesn't surprise me that she jumped at the first opportunity. I would probably do just about anything to get out of that house.

No. Fuck that noise. They do not get to use the poverty excuse, because they do it to themselves deliberately. They moved the entire family to TX specifically so that Perry could take a crap job with terrible benefits at Vision Forum, even though they owned multiple properties in Ohio. They built the house themselves even though they didn't know what they were doing, which is why the walls and floors were never finished. The house is built (partially) on someone else's property because they couldn't even afford a survey, or were too ignorant to pull a map. The house would have been small for the 7 children they had in it when they built it, but they have purposely added 3 (almost 4) more to it since then. This is not a poor family struggling to get by, this is a selfish, self-centered patriarse who is determined to prove his manhood at the expense of his family, and they absolutely wallow in the miserable conditions that they raise their kids in. Kim's already said that, even when they move to the new house, the older girls "choose" to use Asian-style roll-out mats to sleep on instead of having real beds :roll:

But you are right, there are plenty of other reasons to criticize them. I started a thread the other day about Kim's love of wifely submission, even when her husband is wrong, which is a great place to begin.

Archived