IGNORED

Oldest In A Shoe Daughter Gets Married

titus2_4u

I'm guessing that she's just relieved to not have to sleep on CostCo shelves anymore! I'd marry that young too, if it was my only forseeable way to escape literally being stacked like merchandise.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm guessing that she's just relieved to not have to sleep on CostCo shelves anymore! I'd marry that young too, if it was my only forseeable way to escape literally being stacked like merchandise.

Hopefully she won't put her passel of children on costco shelves. Not exactly happy, since marriage isn't exactly an escape for her and i'd rather no more children be born into this lifestyle. But i'm going to look on the bright side and say at least she gets to sleep on a real bed and have more space than she can ever remember having for a while.

There is more about the wedding here: inashoe.com/2012/09/wedding-qa

Perhaps it is really catty, but it totally looks like they just threw the wedding together. I get not wanting to spend thousands on a photographer, but can't Kim even post a pic of her with her daughter and son in law where they are all looking at the camera? A family wedding is supposed to be something treasured and remembered forever, not a race to do it as fast and cheap as possible.

For food, we served pulled pork and two kinds of sausage. I asked a few people to bring specific side dishes, and they were thrilled to know how they could help.

Ta-cky.

I'm a little worried with how many times she posted about a "rushed wedding" as well as the fact that Deanna was already basically moving out.

Methinks that either there is a little bundle on the way, or that she was going to move out and in with him whether or not her parents gave permission.

I'm a little worried with how many times she posted about a "rushed wedding" as well as the fact that Deanna was already basically moving out.

Methinks that either there is a little bundle on the way, or that she was going to move out and in with him whether or not her parents gave permission.

I'm voting on an 8lb preemie. ;)

I think I missed a memo. What's with all the dancin? :shock:

ETA Note to self; read all the linked posts on a subject before diving in to post. As you were peeps, as you were.

It appears fundies do not like very long engagements. The Maxwells and Botkins didn't give a long time between engagement and wedding.

It's hard to tell what her wedding look like but it sounds like it was done cheaply and very quickly. I'm not sure what the hurry was for. I was never a wedding person but I think people should try to do it right if they are going to have one. It makes no sense to rush a wedding since one can get married fairly easily without one these days.

I'm not a big fan of their center piece either. She notes it was cheap and I thought it looked like it too. I'm a traditionalist with the wedding stuff, I guess. Personally, I would not consider asking the guests to provide the food but maybe she knew these people really well. It's probably a cultural thing too. As a Chinese, it's unthinkable to invite guests over to a wedding and ask them to bring a dish. Maybe where they're from, that's appropriate, so I'm not going to judge them.

As for the food, it sound like it was a simple affair. For me, the biggest part of any wedding is the food (aside from the ceremony), so I'm surprised they didn't make a bigger deal of it. They had pulled pork and sausages plus some side dishes. To me, that's what you serve your friends for 4th of July. I would put more variety of foods for a wedding. Again, probably a cultural thing. Weddings are food affairs for me so that's an area I would max my budget out on.

The photographer is another area I would not skimp on. Even now, I appreciate the nice pictures from my wedding. I like showing them to people and it's a pretty reminder of my wedding. I just hope that the bride got some good amateur photographers to do the pics.

However, it's easy for me to say all this as my SO and I had no issue with funding for our wedding.

The lack of a "real" honeymoon is a nonissue for me as I'm not a honeymoon person. They get a weekend somewhere nice so that should count.

Still, I was fortunate to have a very nice wedding and a great honeymoon, and I'm not a wedding person at all. Fundies girls are taught to see their marriage as their ultimate achievement and they start preparing for it at a young age with their hope chests and purity balls. I would feel cheated if I was raised that way and received a cheap, fast wedding myself but maybe you get used to doing things in severe budget when you have a dozen siblings at home.

Ta-cky.

Really? I don't think it's that bad to ask good friends/relatives to bring something if you are doing a low-key self-catered wedding - they probably offered anyway

I'm not a big fan of their center piece either. She notes it was cheap and I thought it looked like it too.

I can't believe the label was left on the bottles, as evidenced by the photos. It might be nitpicky, but soaking them in warm water for 20 minutes and scrubbing the glue off, or attacking the stamped label with some steel wool or chemicals, or if nothing, just actually spray painting over it would have made all the difference.

I'm pretty sure they hinted that the courtship had been going on for a long time and they asked them to wait before the engagement (and thus agreed on making the wedding quick).

The wedding seemed cheap alright. I think it's really silly that they decided to push back the honeymoon to their first anniversary... what are the chances she'll have an infant or be really pregnant on her anniversary?

Seems to me a honeymoon is really necessary for those know nothing fundies... well, either way she'll be pregnant in 3, 2, 1.....

Well that was the first time I visited that particular crazy fundie-palooza. Those kids don't look happy to me, and her tone is not exactly.....warm.

I think I need coffee before I tackle any more.

I haven't read this family's blog before. Which post tells us about sleeping on Costco shelves? Were there 10 children in a three bedroom house with no A/C? So 5 kids to a bedroom in sweltering Texas heat? I can see cutting some expenses, but living where it's 100+ from mid-May to Sept without air conditioning must be miserable especially in such crowded conditions.

Guest Anonymous

Really? I don't think it's that bad to ask good friends/relatives to bring something if you are doing a low-key self-catered wedding - they probably offered anyway

I think it's hideous snobbery to pass judgement on anything a host offers to guests. The nicest, most memorable wedding I've been to was done on a shoestring, and what was so touching was that guests shared in the preparations and made it a really special personal event.

There is way more snarkworthy material in this family's lifestyle than in the way they fed their wedding guests, IMO. :)

I'm not a frequent reader of inashoe. You are correct skrmom there are 10 kids in the family. I recall that house had several other problems which included rodents and some of walls were badly cracked or something. I agree with others, that young women is probably relieved that she doesn't have to share a room with several other siblings or sleep on shelving.

As for the wedding, it does seem kind of cheap and quick and the potluck type atmosphere seems kind of tacky. But in regions and subcultures, potluck weddings are pretty common.

I haven't read this family's blog before. Which post tells us about sleeping on Costco shelves? Were there 10 children in a three bedroom house with no A/C? So 5 kids to a bedroom in sweltering Texas heat? I can see cutting some expenses, but living where it's 100+ from mid-May to Sept without air conditioning must be miserable especially in such crowded conditions.

Oh no, no, no. Not 5 kids to a bedroom. 9 kids to a bedroom, with the third bedroom turned into a library.

Here's the shelf beds:

inashoe.com/2010/09/4-moms-open-house-linky-bedrooms-part-2/

so, mom is pregnant, in her 3rd trimester, and oldest daughter is getting married. How old is this girl, anyway? I predict a mother/daughter pregnancy the next time. Mom is probably drooling over the idea. Blech.

I will ditto the person upthread who said that having guests provide food for a wedding is tacky. I do think this is a regional / cultural thing though .... in my world (I live in Northeast US), when you invite people to a party, you provide whatever food / refreshments you can provide. If you can't afford to provide your guests a whole meal, then you cut down on the number of guests, or you make it a cake / punch reception. Obviously not everyone is like that, hence the replies in this post. But I wanted to nod along with whomever said the first "tacky" becasue that's exactly what I thought.

Oh no, no, no. Not 5 kids to a bedroom. 9 kids to a bedroom, with the third bedroom turned into a library.

Here's the shelf beds:

inashoe.com/2010/09/4-moms-open-house-linky-bedrooms-part-2/

:shock: Holy mother Mary!!! And what is with there being no carpet or flooring!?! just freaking raw wood it looks like?

Seriously you have WAY too many freaking kids if you have to resort to shelving and don't have flooring and shit, this is insane!!! :evil:

ETA; Just read some more, the shelving beds are only 2 feet wide!!! and they don't have them nailed to the wall (in comments) How the HELL does no one fall out?

Archived