IGNORED

Update on the Hale (Papa Pilgrim) family

Maggie Mae

Here's sincerely hoping things go as best they can for him from here on out, including getting good prosthetics as Aretejo mentions too.

Meanwhile I see a commenter "akjulie" pretty much says what I always think when I read these sort of "God is great, he put me in a position to help save someone in a terrible accident" stories, namely, why couldn't God make the accident not happen to start with? so it's interesting seeing the flack that got...

Here's sincerely hoping things go as best they can for him from here on out, including getting good prosthetics as Aretejo mentions too.

Meanwhile I see a commenter "akjulie" pretty much says what I always think when I read these sort of "God is great, he put me in a position to help save someone in a terrible accident" stories, namely, why couldn't God make the accident not happen to start with? so it's interesting seeing the flack that got...

Yeah I skip comments on adn.com unless I I am feeling masochistic. I don't know why, but there are some incredibly nasty trolls that do not paint Alaska in the best light. If the only people you knew of we're adn posters, you would think we are all backwoods tea party/Ron Paul supporters.

The link doesn't work for me, can someone fill me in? I love me some BuckHale goss.

Didn't work for me either, I just googled Israel Hale and a few articles came up.

He was pulled over checking a trailer full of logs and a girl ran into him, apparently the sun was in her eyes and she didn't see him til it was too late.

He was pinned between trailer and car, a nurse was at the scene and applied tourniquets to his legs, apparently saving his life, but his legs have been amputated at the knee and may need to be amputated again higher if they can't bring infections under control.

He is in a medically induced coma, and his wife has issued a statement forgiving the teenage girl who ran into him.

That is so sad. He was lucky there was a nurse on scene really, he could so easily have bled out right there on the road.

I found this link last week with updates on Israel and I couldn't place who he was until I remembered the post about his family's vacation blog here on FJ and then it all connected. They've had one train wreck after another, that family. And now losing his legs.... gosh, I feel so bad for him and his wife.

For anyone that's interested in following the story:

friendsofisraelhale.com

Meanwhile I see a commenter "akjulie" pretty much says what I always think when I read these sort of "God is great, he put me in a position to help save someone in a terrible accident" stories, namely, why couldn't God make the accident not happen to start with?
+1

Is he one of Papa Pilgrim's kids or from the other family who helped them escape the sicko Papa? They seem to be hardcore fundies based on the headcover Israel's wife is wearing.

These kinds of situations make you really wonder how these quiverfull families cope when the patriarch dies or gets severely injured. This couple has no kids yet (but I don't know if she's pregnant?) but they surely were hoping for a boatload of arrows in the future. With good prosthetics he may be able to do a lot in his life but maybe construction and other hard manual jobs aren't possible for him anymore. He doesn't seem like a guy interested in office work (and who knows how substandard his homeschooling was under the crazy Papa - he probably does not have the skills for office work) but some old fashioned hard work. No matter how fundy he or his family is, this is a horrible accident and I really feel for him and his wife - I don't even want to imagine my husband and me in that kind of situation...

By the way, good prosthetics CAN enable a whole new life. Back in high school there was a girl in my class whose feet and legs were deformed (she was born to very old parents) and she had suffered from arthritis for her whole life. In her early 20's her feet had gotten so bad that her only option other than pain killer addiction was amputation. They amputated her legs from mid shin and with the help of very good prosthetics she learned to walk again. Her new feet enabled a whole new life for her including extremely long (1000-3000 kilometres) bike trips around Europe - something she could only dream of with her old feet. So maybe Israel will be able to do a whole lot after some extensive therapy, but they said his legs were amputated above the knee, not mid-shin like the girl I knew. Maybe it makes a big difference - I don't know how well the prosthetics can emulate the movement of a knee.

Is he one of Papa Pilgrim's kids or from the other family who helped them escape the sicko Papa?

From the friendsofisraelhale site, it says he's Robert and Rose's 6th child of 15 children. So that would make him the biological son of the late Papa Pilgrim.

From the friendsofisraelhale site, it says he's Robert and Rose's 6th child of 15 children. So that would make him the biological son of the late Papa Pilgrim.

Oh yeah, somehow I totally missed it... :oops:

Oh yeah, somehow I totally missed it... :oops:

No problem! I only figured all that out after spending most of an evening connecting who the Hales/Buckinghams were, what was up with Papa Pilgrim and how Israel fit into all that. I ended up stumbling into other fundamental families in the process (Stevens, Johnsons, and other blogs) and ended up with waaaaaay more info than I wanted to know. :roll: So, glad I could save you the hassle! LOL

No problem! I only figured all that out after spending most of an evening connecting who the Hales/Buckinghams were, what was up with Papa Pilgrim and how Israel fit into all that. I ended up stumbling into other fundamental families in the process (Stevens, Johnsons, and other blogs) and ended up with waaaaaay more info than I wanted to know. :roll: So, glad I could save you the hassle! LOL

Actually I do have a lot to do this evening instead of figuring out who is who in this puzzle, so thank you for saving me from that ;)

Archived