IGNORED

Hell just froze over Rick santorum figured it out.

doggie

Well he's halfway there.

You'll never have the media (save Faux News) and elites on your side, Rick, but your reasoning is rating high on the wackadoodle scale. Try "We won't have them on our side because we don't support anyone outside our mold of what families/people should be like." You might get farther with your crazy evangelicals!

"We will never have the elite, smart people on our side, because they believe they should have the power to tell you what to do."

Anybody else seeing the irony here?

Lol, this is what happens when people want to be led by someone just like them. Am trying to imagine a leader fashioned in my image... vain, shallow, fond of holidays that involve more sitting than sightseeing, a bit lazy, tendency to use medical issues to justify that laziness (basically Ann Romney, but not so blonde). Probably no better or worse than most people, but I guess I lack the narcissism needed to look at myself and go "hey, you'd do an awesome job in parliament so let's vote in someone exactly like you!"

I know I'm smarter than most people. By that, I don't mean I'm some kind of genius, but I know that to have gotten through as much schooling as I've gotten though, I had to be slightly above average, somewhere in the top 50% instead of the lower 50%. There's plenty of people still who are smarter than me, but my accident of birth was still very lucky in that I am "smart," and secondarily that my family could provide me with many opportunities to get a good education to go along with that.

But this Republican bullshit, where someone who achieved an upper level degree (lawyer, MBA, etc.) claims they weren't "smart"--WTF. No, clearly you didn't have an accident of birth that took away your ability to understand higher-level concepts. You didn't not read about science because you couldn't read, you didn't read about science because you chose not to look at those words on any pages. I get that climate science isn't for everyone, but for the love of everything that is sacred, it is your job as a politician to be effing informed about the things that you might have to make decisions about. And if you really can't understand it on your own, it's your responsibility to find someone who can tell you in small words what's going on--which shouldn't be hard, because, as for most politicians, you went to effing college and some sort of grad school--so you know where they are, you know how to contact the people in them, and you won't even be contacting "them" because you are one of them and you would just be contacting your own people.

It's not that climate change denialists, homophobes, and various other forms of anti-intellectuals are dumb and can't help it. It's that oil/coal companies can make money regardless of the world's average temperature, they'd rather feel powerful and in control of their little part of the world than accept that everyone doesn't have to be exactly like them, and they'd rather protect their cozy feeling of smugness about themselves than actually seeking out real respect from their fellow man by making the world a truly better place.

Most people aren't stupid, they're just wrong. And lazy.

I know I'm smarter than most people. By that, I don't mean I'm some kind of genius, but I know that to have gotten through as much schooling as I've gotten though, I had to be slightly above average, somewhere in the top 50% instead of the lower 50%. There's plenty of people still who are smarter than me, but my accident of birth was still very lucky in that I am "smart," and secondarily that my family could provide me with many opportunities to get a good education to go along with that.

But this Republican bullshit, where someone who achieved an upper level degree (lawyer, MBA, etc.) claims they weren't "smart"--WTF. No, clearly you didn't have an accident of birth that took away your ability to understand higher-level concepts. You didn't not read about science because you couldn't read, you didn't read about science because you chose not to look at those words on any pages. I get that climate science isn't for everyone, but for the love of everything that is sacred, it is your job as a politician to be effing informed about the things that you might have to make decisions about. And if you really can't understand it on your own, it's your responsibility to find someone who can tell you in small words what's going on--which shouldn't be hard, because, as for most politicians, you went to effing college and some sort of grad school--so you know where they are, you know how to contact the people in them, and you won't even be contacting "them" because you are one of them and you would just be contacting your own people.

It's not that climate change denialists, homophobes, and various other forms of anti-intellectuals are dumb and can't help it. It's that oil/coal companies can make money regardless of the world's average temperature, they'd rather feel powerful and in control of their little part of the world than accept that everyone doesn't have to be exactly like them, and they'd rather protect their cozy feeling of smugness about themselves than actually seeking out real respect from their fellow man by making the world a truly better place.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Well said, kb2!

edited to put quote in right place

:clap: :clap: :clap: Well said, kb2!

edited to put quote in right place

YES :)

Also, and this is where the actual dumb followers come in - he's setting up smart people as being by default anti-family and anti-church (religious). I guess my physics teacher who was BRILLIANT and was at Princeton with Einstein and had just had a newborn daughter he was devoted to AND he was an orthodox Jew - I mean, how did THAT happen. :geek: :roll:

OK, I'll speak up for the stupid here. :oops:

Many people *choose* to be thick. I'd give worlds if I wasn't. But most of us, born without the gene to make us brainy and that, try hard to keep up with the rest of you. We have to work much harder than everyone else to just be equal.

Hate to be a bitch Dicky, but without smart people who went to college; there wouldn't be books available for you to even stand up on that podium/stage and medication for your kids. Oh, that's right, you want the world populated of just white Christians. :roll: Typical repube.

OK, I'll speak up for the stupid here. :oops:

Many people *choose* to be thick. I'd give worlds if I wasn't. But most of us, born without the gene to make us brainy and that, try hard to keep up with the rest of you. We have to work much harder than everyone else to just be equal.

But you have some very well thought-out political opinions! And you're very eloquent.

I mean, I need climate science explained to me in small words. And I can understand if someone has dyslexia and so they can't express themselves online without a bunch of misspelled words, for instance.

Anybody else seeing the irony here?

He'll never get it. In his mind, he's not telling anyone what to do - God is, through the bible. And if you don't believe in the bible, then Frothy's just trying to help you see the light.

Actually, I think that most people are not inherently thick. Most people aren't geniuses either. People tend to be intelligent in different ways, often in ways that cannot be tested. I'd say I'm intelligent. There are things that I have a natural aptitude for and things that I've had to work at. But most importantly, I love to learn and to think critically. Vital.

What pisses me off is when people purposely dumb themselves down, promote the dumbing down of others and proclaim it as some virtuous thing. It becomes a habit that's very difficult to break. It holds us to a lower standard and does not do anyone any favors.

I can't wait to see his inevitable backtracking when he's called on his words. "Oh, I meant the elite smart, not...uh...AMERICAN smart!"

JFC if you're thick, then I'm a size 4. And I'm not, nor have I ever been, so you're not, and you've never been thick. I've learned more from you about your political beliefs and all kinds of cool stuff (feminism and cool random Scottish stuff and fundie stuff and what it means to be a good Aunt) then you realize. I think one time you said you though Hermione Granger was a Trotskyist. Well, now every time I read her S.P.E.W stuff, I see that, even though I had to google the finer points of Trotskyism. See? Not thick.

And I'm totally not stalking you on FJ, I'm just one of your fangirls.

Oh, yes. Frothy's speech is gonna bite him in the rumpus.

I thought he had finally figured out he was gay and decided to stop being a self loathing ass hat.

*sigh* Oh well.

I was hoping that my Romney/Santorum yaoi fic-idea was true irl.

JFC if you're thick, then I'm a size 4. And I'm not, nor have I ever been, so you're not, and you've never been thick. I've learned more from you about your political beliefs and all kinds of cool stuff (feminism and cool random Scottish stuff and fundie stuff and what it means to be a good Aunt) then you realize. I think one time you said you though Hermione Granger was a Trotskyist. Well, now every time I read her S.P.E.W stuff, I see that, even though I had to google the finer points of Trotskyism. See? Not thick.

And I'm totally not stalking you on FJ, I'm just one of your fangirls.

Oh, yes. Frothy's speech is gonna bite him in the rumpus.

:D to all that.

Archived