IGNORED

New Christian Movie Being Blasted By The Critics

lilwriter85

I was doing a quick of Briana's blog and she mentioned a movie called "The Last Ounce of Courage". I did some research and found a few articles about. So far the movie is getting bashed by critics. The movie is about a mayor of a town who is a veteran, he lost a son in war too and later his grandson and daughter-in-law move in with him and his wife. The grandson talks a Bible to school and gets in trouble. The main character then tries to fight secular humanism.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/weekender/ ... y-critics/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/news ... 2723.story

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... 3830.story

I swear, the more power these fundies get, the more persecuted they want to feel. And for lack of it, they'll depict it in films and jack off in their merry righteous way. Bless their hearts.

Fundies: Why do people not like persecute our movies? They're making us realize we have Christian privilege taking away our freedom of speech again! Waah! Waah! Waah! Whambulance! :auto-ambulance: :auto-ambulance: :auto-ambulance:

thoughtful: I really hoped that it was the triquel Chick-Fil-A 3: When Ignorant Christians go Batshit Insane.

Fundies: Why do people not like persecute our movies? They're making us realize we have Christian privilege taking away our freedom of speech again! Waah! Waah! Waah! Whambulance! :auto-ambulance: :auto-ambulance: :auto-ambulance:

Naturally. I'm sure they read the criticism and feel oh so justified. In such an instance, some might say "well, you just don't understand it!" Others may concede, "yeah, our movie was pretty shit, fuck it." But no, to the fundies the movie is persecution bait.

But what the hell. As an atheist and a secular humanist myself, I'll say your movie sounds like it sucks big time. There ya' go, free of charge :twisted: Wouldn't blow 10 bucks on the thing but perhaps the bounty of your wretched dogma and shoddy production values might be made available on YouTube one of these days for my amusement.

I found another review that has more details to why the movie sounds like sucks ass.

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/2012/09 ... story.html

Home /

ae /

movies

MOVIE REVIEW

The Boston Globe

Little bounce to this ‘Ounce’

Fred Williamson in “Last Ounce of Courage.” Fred Williamson in “Last Ounce of Courage.”

By Mark Feeney

Globe Staff / September 13, 2012

The Revolutionary War had Paul Revere sounding the alarm about the British, and the War on Christmas has Bob Revere (Marshall Teague) sounding the alarm about secular humanism. No, he doesn’t ride an actual horse in “Last Ounce of Courage” (although he does ride a chopper with a big American flag flying in back). Instead he gets on his high horse in this drama, all exercised over the absence of Christmas decorations from public property in his town, Mount Columbus. How bad are things? Instead of a Christmas pageant, the local high school has “a winter space odyssey” (presided over by a rather swishy drama coach).

Related

LAST OUNCE OF COURAGE

MPAA Rating:

PG

MPAA rating reasons:

(war images)

Running Time:

99 minutes

Cast:

Marshall Teague, Jennifer O’Neill, Fred Williamson

Director:

Darrel Campbell and Kevin McAfee

Writer:

Darrel Campbell

Playing at:

AMC Liberty Tree Mall, Braintree, Framingham

“It’s not just about Christmas anymore,” Bob laments. “Have you ever noticed that the mere mention of ‘Jesus’ nowadays seems to rub people the wrong way? Well, I’m very tired of not standing up for what I believe in.” With his head of silvery hair and ship’s-prow chin, Bob looks the part of a believer in standing up. He also looks like Jay Leno’s snarly cousin.

“Last Ounce of Courage” is the latest in a sub-subgenre of movies expressly aimed at conservative viewers. Dinesh D’Souza’s documentary “2016: Obama’s America” is the highest-profile example. Last year’s “October Baby,” about abortion, is another. Such movies aren’t about making art, they’re about making a statement — which, as “2016” has shown, can also mean making a sizable profit. In fairness to these films, it’s not as if many Hollywood movies are about making art, either (their pretensions notwithstanding).

“Last Ounce of Courage” has decent production values — everything is lit with the bright cheeriness of TV advertising (it’s like a commercial for commercials) — and the movie even has a once-upon-a-time star, Jennifer O’Neill, as Bob’s supportive wife, Dottie. Actually, it has another former big name, though the casting is a lot less traditional. Fred “The Hammer” Williamson, who was sort of the Herman Cain of blaxploitation films, shows up as Warren “The Hammer” Hammerschmidt, the head of an organization that’s the American Civil Liberties Union in anything but name. When he shows up in Mount Columbus, he and Bob do not exactly see eye to eye.

Before things come to that pass, a lot happens. Bob was a war hero (doing the math, it has to be Vietnam, but the movie doesn’t say). His son, Tom, enlists in the Army and sees serious combat. “I told him to defend our freedoms with his last ounce of courage,” Bob recalls. Hence the movie’s title. Before enlisting, Tom marries, and while he’s overseas his wife has a baby boy. Fourteen years later, wife and son move in with Bob and Dottie. This is odd, since the movie seems to be set in the present and the United States wasn’t at war 14 years ago. No less odd, it seems that in all this time Bob and Dottie haven’t seen their grandson (who’s named Christian).

It’s Christian’s enrolling in the local high school that precipitates the crisis. He gets in trouble for bringing a pocket Bible to school. This upsets Bob, understandably enough; and since it’s Christmastime he decides to take back the (holy) night. He’s the mayor, so he’s in a position to do more than just bluster. You can figure out the rest. “Red Dawn” for reindeer? Something like that, with a transistor-radio-assisted miracle thrown in for good measure.

The problem with this numbskull travesty isn’t that it’s fatuous and smug (which it is). It’s that it’s slack and dull. The storytelling is inept (that weird 14-year hiatus, for example), and any time Fred Williamson gives the most assured performance in a movie, that movie is in serious trouble. Worse than that, it trivializes the very issues it’s supposedly promoting. The Congressional Medal of Honor, the highest decoration this nation has to bestow on its military, gets casually tossed in as a minor plot device, and Bob’s idea of Christmas has about as much to do with the miracle of Jesus’s birth as his ideas about citizenship have to do with the Constitution. Christmas, he says, is “a holiday that most of our citizens enjoy but a minority of soreheads don’t.” Protecting the rights of soreheads, who come in all shapes, sizes, and percentages, is a proposition the Founders were rather fond of. You’d think Bob would be doubly aware of that, being the exponent that he is of both patriotism and soreheadedness.

Sounds like this film will be an award winner at Doug Phillips (is a tool) next film festival. :lol:

Dougie should just should change his name to Tool Phillips. He's already a tool for ATI/Gothard/QV/VF God.

I don't really expect christians to get this, but if their plots are nothing but rehashing their philosophy, then only the people who already subscribe to that philosophy will like it.

The Christian Values should work with the plot, not BE the plot.

And odd example of this, IMO? the fourth Pirates of the Carribean movie.

The priest caring for the mermaid is justified by his faith, which never becomes preachy, and the Spanish showing up in what would otherwise be a deus ex machina is justfied because, historically, they did that kind of thing.

Doug Phillips is a tool made a blog post about it in his shame web "journal". Not ashamed to admit I fell asleep during the first few minutes of this movie. Yes it's time for Christians to stand up. Stand up against the bigotry, intolerance, and general tooliness that has been done in the name of our God.

I knew this movie sucked just from the ads for it.

This piece of dreck seems aimed at stirring up the right-wing just in time for the election. Never mind that Obama is a Christian and that Mittens in Mormon.

I knew this movie sucked just from the ads for it.

This piece of dreck seems aimed at stirring up the right-wing just in time for the election. Never mind that Obama is a Christian and that Mittens in Mormon.

That and creating a unique fundie Christian cinema, apart from Hollywood, self-sufficent, or whatever Dougie the Tool said. I suppose to make any sense of it, you have to look at the intent. For all the evangelizing, I think the movies are meant to justify their own beliefs and propagandize to their own group rather than for "benefit" of we outsiders.

It amazes me how little effort they put into it. Even a very low-budget film could be made enjoyable and entertaining with good writing, acting and plot. Hell, an elementary school play is probably more expertly crafted. As it is, they all remind me of sappy North Korean movies. But maybe in their world it's pure genius :think:

Just makes you go the churches are becoming more desperate. If mega churches I don't know say cared about offering free daycare for every woman who chose life, with no pressure for the child to become Christian. It might do something for their pr. Think about the denominational churches and all of the hospitals they started and they treated everyone no matter of faith. Today we do not have this. Instead we have the prosperity gospel and pastors who if sucessful become rich and disconnected with the common parishoner. Oh and I heard an interesting stat today by the 2030's there will be more secular humanist, agnostics and atheist then Christians.

My husband and I saw the preview for this on TV a few days ago and it TELLS YOU NOTHING about the story of this movie. So he IMDb'd it and said "Oh, it's another poorly written and filmed Christian movie." (We are Christians and even know that "Christian" movies are just TERRIBLE, couldn't even get through Facing the Giants!) This one looks especially horrible.

I hated Facing The Giants. I thought it was too perfect. They turned God into a magic genie - everyone got exactly what they wished for. That's just not how life works. I think I would be offended if I were Christian.

I hated Facing The Giants. I thought it was too perfect. They turned God into a magic genie - everyone got exactly what they wished for. That's just not how life works. I think I would be offended if I were Christian.

I almost thought you called She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named! :shock:

Archived