IGNORED

The world HATES children!!!11!!!11

Koala

@ SquirrelySquirrel: I hope I don't sound too harsh, but you've got it all wrong :-P Growth and development? Confidence? Big smiles, as opposed to tight photo-op smiles that come up on demand so Mommy can post your pic on her blog? They all make for very poorly indoctrinized children. Just like one of my CloudLets will probably not be convinced to go skirts-and-flip-flops-only, since being on the school track team means she gets to wear shorts (ZOMG) and *good* (expensive!) runners and run and run to her heart's content. I can't really see her giving up her running and gymnastics and dreams of medical school and the joy of playing in the school band to be a good little SAHD.

For fundies, the goal is not personal growth and development, so there you have it. It goes along with realizing that our silly notion of keeping women healthy and alive is secondary to the notion of pregnancy (and we have all witnessed that these two are sometimes mutually exclusive). It's a topsy-turvy, upside-down world when health and happiness and learning and exploring are not really something to strive for.

To me what is really telling about that blog post is the fact that this one passing comment that was said in jest in target by some random lady got under her skin SO much!

Seriously, if anyone is being passive aggressive here, or trying to justify their life and way they spend their time; its obviously this chick!

I had three kids because that's what my physical health, sanity, and wallet could handle. Also, we knew more kids would mean fewer resources and extracurricular activities for the children we already had, and we took that bit of math very seriously. We homeschool, and having the resources to do it properly was one factor among many in limiting our family size. I'm not jealous of moms who send their kids to school, and I don't suspect they're jealous of me. I think we're all just doing what we need to do for our families. I don't know where Kenduhl gets off assuming otherwise.

BTW, Target popcorn is an excellent kid bribe. ;)

I had three kids because that's what my physical health, sanity, and wallet could handle. Also, we knew more kids would mean fewer resources and extracurricular activities for the children we already had, and we took that bit of math very seriously. We homeschool, and having the resources to do it properly was one factor among many in limiting our family size. I'm not jealous of moms who send their kids to school, and I don't suspect they're jealous of me. I think we're all just doing what we need to do for our families. I don't know where Kenduhl gets off assuming otherwise.

BTW, Target popcorn is an excellent kid bribe. ;)

Are we twins? Though only 1/3 of my kids is still homeschooling. Oldest is married now, Middle is in school (she started there in 9th grade), so it's just myself and the ManCub, who has some LDs which would make it impossible for him to fit into a grade level box. I tried to do the K12 hybrid with him, and their solution to his "Non-verbal Learning Disability" was to give him a calculator. For Pre-algebra. :roll:

It definitely takes all of my willpower to not get popcorn every time I go to Target. I think they pipe the smell into the store like the cookie place at the mall does.

While reading this I thought of the best comment I read from a working mom about her feelings about sending her kids to daycare and school. She said "I am the worst playmate for my kids and they have more fun with kids their age." I know my son on weekends who is going to be 4 in a couple months will go where is so and so. When we tell him oh he's at home and you will see him Monday he gets a look of oh darn I'm stuck with you guys today I want my friends.

Are we twins? Though only 1/3 of my kids is still homeschooling. Oldest is married now, Middle is in school (she started there in 9th grade), so it's just myself and the ManCub, who has some LDs which would make it impossible for him to fit into a grade level box. I tried to do the K12 hybrid with him, and their solution to his "Non-verbal Learning Disability" was to give him a calculator. For Pre-algebra. :roll:

It definitely takes all of my willpower to not get popcorn every time I go to Target. I think they pipe the smell into the store like the cookie place at the mall does.

LOL...for your sake, I hope not. You can be the cute twin. ;)

I haven't heard rave reviews of the K-12 hybrid from anyone so far. Hopefully they'll be able to customize it better in the future, because the concept is promising on paper.

I know what you mean about not fitting into the "grade level box.". My oldest has PDD-NOS and dyslexia, and the school system couldn't/wouldn't accomodate her. Her younger brother has trouble sitting still, and the youngest is gifted. Add the frequent moves of life as a military family, and homeschooling became the most practical choice for us. It's worked out beautifully, but as you know it's neither free nor easy to do properly (ie the kids actually get an education). Maybe it can be done with a boatload of kids, but I have no clue how.

Amen on the popcorn! I usually just steal a little from the kids, but the cookie place at the mall gets me more often than not. :oops:

Why do I think she made that comment? Guilt. Here I was happy and enjoying my precious ones and she was alone. Maybe she felt guilty because there was a part of her that wished her children were in fact with her. Maybe it was the fact that she actually was glad she was alone and therefore she felt a bit guilty for being happy about it.

Doubtful. She probably meant just what she said and none more. Most likely she was just making small talk, but as is par for the usual Kendal tries to read way too much into it and make it all about her.

Why does Kendal post on this topic at least once a month? Because I think she is trying to convince herself she likes this life she and/or her husband chose. I think she resents it at times, and that makes her feel guilty. Hence the monthly, "why does society hate kids" and "why i loooooooooooooooove my life" posts.

Does the world hate children? I know the word hate is rather strong, but do we live in a society that sees these precious ones as disposable or replaceable? Disposable because we live in an era where we can easily kill unborn babies. And replaceable because we can casually drop them off at day care or school and replace them with a fulfilling job or something else that will fill that void.

No. Disposable is when BORN CHILDREN are abandoned to the foster care system because their parents "can't handle them." Replaceable is when you take a child from their mother's custody and she says, "I don't care - I'll just have another one."

Why are our schools filled with children? We value our time more than our children. {I am sure there are exceptions to this} But for the most part, I see moms who are excited about their little ones turning 5 so they can finally be released of this burden. It's true, harsh, but true.

Again, no. Our schools are filled with children because people understand that truly solid, varied educations are provided by people who have devoted their lives to teaching and pedagogy. Because people want their children to learn as much as they can so they can be successful in whatever path they choose - from housewife to politician. Because people want their children to meet other children who are not carbon copies of themselves and enjoy the diversity of this world. Not to mention the fact that a huge number of parents in this country cannot afford not to work.

Also, people usually say things like "are they all yours" in an attempt to be polite and make conversation. Four kids does not make you special in a country that includes the Duggars, Octomom, and the Gosselin family.

She seems to find the idea of being alone scary...that's weird, no?

I like being alone at times, and don't spend those times judging myself for not wanting to spend time with friends or family or deciding I hate everyone because I don't want to see them right this moment. Or deciding that everyone hates me because they don't want to see me just now.

What's up with Kendull that she needs constant validation for the choices she makes? Indeed, what is up with fundies?

I like children. I love my child.

That's why she goes to school, so she can learn from someone with training and patience and the DESIRE to teach 30 first graders all day. Seriously? I'd rather go to war.

Oh WhatEVER. Even a cursory study of childhood throughout history would make you kiss the ground that you were born in modern times. The notion that childhood should be a period of innocence and education is a very recent one.

A few things we have that we did not have 150 years back:

1) Required education

2)Child protective laws and mandates for minimum standards of care

3) A consumer driven economy that has a huge variety of child centered products. Not to mention laws regarding the safety of said products.

4) Respect for children to be brought up within their own culture.

5) Child labor laws

This.

Fundies feel obligated to have lots of children, and beat the "sin" out of them.

Most of the rest of us have children if we want them, and the children feel wanted.

Some of us (like me!) never wanted to have any, but spend their professional life teaching or protecting them.

If we are child-haters, we are doing a piss-poor job of it.

Archived