IGNORED

Pat Robertson infantizes women in relastionship

AtroposHeart

I believe it said she extended her hand AS IF she were going to hit him. I don't think it said she did.

Not that it matters. Who's to say it wasn't in self-defense because he was coming after her for disobeying him.

Could have been. I guess if I wrote a letter or something saying my husband raises a hand to me, nobody was going to tell me to examine MY behavior to see if I "deserved it" or not.

I thought she raised her hand but did not hit him. I think it's wrong to do that too, but I wouldn't decide this woman is a rebellious thirteen year old based on a short letter like that.

I thought she raised her hand but did not hit him. I think it's wrong to do that too, but I wouldn't decide this woman is a rebellious thirteen year old based on a short letter like that.

I don't think anyone can decide anything based on the letter. I just don't know why everyone (not everyone literally but more than one person) decided that the man must be at fault and the woman was probably just too frustrated or was acting in self defense.

Guest Anonymous

The original letter said:

She insults me and she even went as far as stretching her hand to beat me.

The wording is both weird and ambiguous, but it seems to indicate either violence or the threat of violence. I don't think either is acceptable. I think it's wrong of us to try to read into this that the man somehow provoked this in his wife. I suspect that that kind of supposition is exactly why men find it hard to report domestic violence and get help.

That said, the "advice" given out by Pat Robertson was bullshit. That people go to him for advice is worrying.

The wording is both weird and ambiguous, but it seems to indicate either violence or the threat of violence. I don't think either is acceptable. I think it's wrong of us to try to read into this that the man somehow provoked this in his wife. I suspect that that kind of supposition is exactly why men find it hard to report domestic violence and get help.

That said, the "advice" given out by Pat Robertson was bullshit. That people go to him for advice is worrying.

I agree, my point was it's wrong to imply either way. He infuriated me.

All of this.

Out of all the letters this idiot receives, someone had to choose this particular one for whatever reason. Whether it was edited or not, we'll never know, but regardless of who reached out a hand and for what purpose, the response was over the line and 100% unacceptable no matter how you look at is. Making the husband blameless and demonizing and belittling the wife took it several steps further. If anything proves how women are regarded as little more than property by the patriarchy, this was it.

Archived