IGNORED

Mystery Science Theater 3000

Naga Viper

If you haven't seen Pod People, do so post-haste!

"Morning comes to cheap white trash."

"But Trumpee's good!"

"Trumpee can do stupid things!"

The scene with the dumb young adults getting ready to set off on their Winnebago adventure is itself worth watching the whole movie (which I think is one of the best ones).

Also: The Cinematic Titanic road tour came through my area last year, and it was -hilarious-. Plus, as an added bonus, I got to chat with Dr. Forrester, TV's Frank, Joel and Pearl! :dance: :dance:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two of my other favorites include Red Zone Cuba and The Beast from Yucca Flat.

They were directed by an (apparently) craptacular B-level movie director named Coleman Francis. Sadly, he ended up committing suicide in 1973. :cry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleman_Francis

Soultaker is also good and has a number of solid laughs, and stars a lesser-known Estevez (Martin's younger bro), and a guy that has a freakishly big face (Robert Z'Dar, who also stars in another MST3K'd offering, Laserblast).

I would also highly recommend Werewolf.

Finally, if you are the type that likes to hunt down every reference made in any given episode of MST3K (as I am!) enjoy the following Annotated MST3K:

http://www.annotatedmst.com/ (link not broken, because I don't think they'll mind the traffic)

• 2 years later...
On October 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM, EyeQueue said:

Soultaker is also good and has a number of solid laughs, and stars a lesser-known Estevez (Martin's younger bro), and a guy that has a freakishly big face (Robert Z'Dar, who also stars in another MST3K'd offering, Laserblast).

Future War, not Laserblast.

I love Soultaker too; it's so late '80s in the fashion and styling without being as in your face about it as Hobgoblins.

13 hours ago, EscapedCardinal said:

Future War, not Laserblast.

I love Soultaker too; it's so late '80s in the fashion and styling without being as in your face about it as Hobgoblins.

D'oh! It was Future War, LOL!!!!

I actually haven't seen Hobgoblins. I'll have to remedy that ASAP.

On 10/3/2013 at 8:45 PM, happy atheist said:

I can't say that I would ever spend money on such a thing. :?

I bought the Blu-Ray version of Manos a few months ago.  One nice thing it did have was an option to include audio commentary by Jackey Neymone Jones (Debbie) and her father Tom Neyman (The Master).  That alone was worth the cost of the Blu-Ray.

I remember when I first got interested in MST3K and I happened on to the internetz to see what the worst movie ever riffed was and Manos came up a number of times.  So of course I had to go email my brother to see if he had ever heard of Manos.  My brother's even a bigger MST3K fan that I am.  He went over to Chicago and got a picture of himself with Joel Robinson.  Anyways he comes over and hands me the DVD of that episode.  I got a kick out of it of course and when I get a new TV I make sure to give it a proper break in by playing select MST3K episodes, including Manos and Cave Dwellers.

I'm watching The Giant Spider Invasion right now, complete with Alan ("Don't act with your tongue") Hale Jr. and northern Wisconsin at its finest.

On May 29, 2016 at 3:57 PM, EyeQueue said:

D'oh! It was Future War, LOL!!!!

I actually haven't seen Hobgoblins. I'll have to remedy that ASAP.

I'll be curious what you think—it seems to be one of the more polarizing ones. I love it, of course, but in some ways it almost seems more like a caricature of the era than an actual product of it. [side-eyes the Daphne character]

I love MST3K too! My favorites are the shorts. I think the best was the one from the 50s where a geeky guy decides to learn to play trumpet with the help of "Mr. B Natural", a scary Mary Martin as Peter Pan clone. When "Mr. B Natural" starts dancing around the screen, Tom Servo hollers, "Please, NOOOOOOOOOOO". A close second in my mind is "Hired", a short from the late 40s about a guy who sells Chevrolets door to door. I had never heard of such a thing.

I agree with others that "Manos" is really in a class of its own.

I'm also a MST3K fan. I discovered it in HS on the Comedy Channel. My favorites are "Cave Dwellers," Girl in the Gold Boots," and "Manos." As for the shorts, my fave is "Money Talks!" If it weren't for the kid's crack habit, he'd have $2 for the school dance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmjegYYYlUE

It took me a while to warm up to Mike, but I can't pick a favorite. I didn't like Joe initially when he replaced Steve. :giggle:

Last Friday afternoon, TCM showed a couple of bad horror movies that would have been perfect for MST3K:  The Black Scorpion and The Killer Shrew.  Turns out that both flicks got the MST3K treatment!

Yeah over the past couple days I've been going to my old standbys when everything that's happened in the world gets to be too much and I need a break.  Manos, The Final Sacrifice, The Giant Spider Invasion, Mitchell, Cave Dwellers, Space Mutiny, etc etc.  Picks me right up too.

IMG_9437.JPG

I don't know if this is of interest to others, but it looks like there is a possibility of the Satellite of Love becoming a Lego set. I think it's pretty cool! Of course, that's only if it gets 10,000 votes and makes it past the evaluation committee.

"I don't know how but I just became sterile!"

Yeah I think I did too at that point. 

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 9.11.12 PM.png

On June 13, 2016 at 9:51 PM, 47of74 said:

Yeah over the past couple days I've been going to my old standbys when everything that's happened in the world gets to be too much and I need a break.  Manos, The Final Sacrifice, The Giant Spider Invasion, Mitchell, Cave Dwellers, Space Mutiny, etc etc.  Picks me right up too.

IMG_9437.JPG

Looks like we have a lot of the same "comfort food" episodes! Except Manos, that one gives me a headache because my eyes are constantly trying to focus because the camera won't. 

1 hour ago, EscapedCardinal said:

Looks like we have a lot of the same "comfort food" episodes! Except Manos, that one gives me a headache because my eyes are constantly trying to focus because the camera won't. 

If I'm tired enough Manos will help me drift off to sleep.  Several years ago on my overnight to Italy I played Manos to help me get some shut eye.  I lasted about half the film before I finally turned it off and got a few hours of sleep.

Quite a lot of Mystery Science Theatre is on Youtube.

If nobody hears from me for a couple of weeks, send a search party, would you?  *dons pith helmet*

Quite a lot of Mystery Science Theatre is on Youtube.

If nobody hears from me for a couple of weeks, send a search party, would you?  *dons pith helmet*

Problem is if I was in that search party depending on the episodes you were watching I'd join you and there would be two people missing.

I used to watch this show all of the time. Now I've got the (original) theme song in my head (when Joel was the host)

Thanks for the earworm.

• 2 months later...
On 7/3/2016 at 9:53 PM, 47of74 said:

Problem is if I was in that search party depending on the episodes you were watching I'd join you and there would be two people missing.

Eventually, one would need to send every rescue ferret out there to find those of us stuck in that rabbit hole on Youtube.

• 1 month later...

I was perusing the on-screen TV guide and found that I now get CometTV, which is running MST3K! Right now is "I Accuse My Parents" and at 10:15 is "The Mad Monster". It looks like they are only running it on Sunday evenings, but such a welcome find! I think I need to hunt down the program manager for CometTV and beg him or her to add more MST3K slots.

• 5 months later...

It's baaaaaaccckkkk!

LA LA LA!

IMG_4898.jpg.f5c09b89311824c10397846ee5a7c6c8.jpg

Now if you'll excuse me the new season await....

I just got around to watching the first two episodes of the new season of MST3K on Netflix. After finishing the second episode, my husband turns to me and asks if we can watch a new episode every Friday until we run out. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Archived