Why does abby feel it is okay to punish a 10 year old for their mother's transgressions? I hate that.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dislike almost everything Abby does with the girls. I think she needs therapy - a lot of it.

I just started watching Season 1 on Amazon streaming over the weekend. Typical train wreck, a la Toddler's and Tiaras. I did have one question that I was hoping someone who has had experience with dance competitions for this age group might answer:

In watching the competition parts of the show, it seems like the little girls (like in the age range of Abby's team) win the big prizes. Wouldn't the older teen girls be more talented and so win the overalls? This seemed to me like how little girls always win the Ultimate Grande Burrito Nacho Supreme titles in Toddlers and Tiaras (and not the older teen girls who I would assume would be 1.) more poised and 2.) more talented).

Any ideas on this? Or is it editing? Are there different age ranges and we're only shown the age division for Abby's girls?

Part of it is that like Toddlers and Tiaras a lot of kids give it up as they get older.

Dance Moms also can't get into the major dance competitions so also like Toddlers and Tiaras we aren't seeing the top performers.

I'm not sure that they're not competing against top performers now. Sure, they can't get into major dance competitions, but the ones they do attend draw big crowds. I would also think kids that compete in the major competitions would like to see how they match up against the amazing Dance Moms kids.

ETA: Lately this season they have not been scoring the top spot or second every time.

Thanks, Abigail and LindsaySays. So, it's basically that most older girls drop out by that time. I guess that makes sense, given that we already see in Season 1 Brooke wanting to drop out to pursue cheerleading.

That and, once they hit puberty, they lose some of their extreme flexibility unless they put a lot more work into it. Also, once they hit their teens, most of the participants have injured at least one joint. Brooke has some kind of chronic pain, back I think, from contortion. She is still very flexible, but it is a lot harder on her body to do those tricks on a regular basis.

I imagine it's also that if they're truly talented and dedicated to pursuing it, by teenage years they've moved into local companies, theatre, or other stuff like that, rather than competitions?

I can't stop watching the trainwreck!

• 2 weeks later...

My 8 year old daughter loves this show. But even she can see through the fake rivalry etc. she does get upset for the girls when they cry (usually when they forget a routine) but that happens to all of them at some point.

I read somewhere that Cathy and Abby are actually good friends who do occasionally fight and argue, but they ramp up the fighting when the producers ask them to. Cathy has said that when an over the top piece of nastiness is scheduled she warns Vivi in advance about it.

It's become almost unwatchable this season. It seems like Abby's gotten meaner. My 12 year old son was shocked at her behavior and felt terrible for the girls. He leaves the room when they dance so he doesn't have to see Abby get mad at them if they forget something (hey - I had to sit through Spongebob. He can handle my questionable tv choices for a bit!) On the other hand, it's made him feel better about his soccer coach because "Nobody's as bad as that witch, and I know my coach likes me!" :)

• 1 year later...

i've only watched an episode here and there, and i hated that woman. those girls needed sincere help and advice for their dancing, not abuse and insults. i thought that they all (for the few episodes i saw) danced really well. i can't dance at all and don't know anything about it, so take that as you will as far as a critique of the dancers lol.

Same here, I've only seen episodes here and there but that Abby is horrible. The last show I saw she'd brought in new girls to pit against an existing group, favored the new girls... ugh.

That's about the last person I'd want my daughter around.

As Bad as Abby is, the mothers are worse. Who subjects their child to that kind of treatment voluntarily? And who allows humiliation of their child to be filmed and put on TV?

The mothers are horrible people. Abby would not have the opportunity to verbally abuse and humiliate those girls if their parents protected their children and pulled them out of that dance studio.

Abby is a miserable person. I can't imagine how she has ever managed to maintain her business.

I wonder if most of it is not scripted. Contract or no any mother who would put up with that if it were real is the monster more so than Abbey.

Paige has been There for years and just now suing? I think her mom is gearing up for some Paige spin off and this is all carefully planned out. My daughter got tickets to see Paige at a meet and greet. That mom is running it. The money went directly into her account.

It's sad all around. I know some of them from our dealings in the dance competition world. How the moms & Abby act on tv didn't represent what I know of them in real life. I often wonder if they all took their new roles too far and now they can't stop 'acting' even when the cameras are off. The original cast is locked into tight contracts. In the beginning, no one expected the show to take off. Lifetime essentially owns them. The special guest dancers have a lot more freedom.

I don't know how successful this will be, but I've watched a few episodes, and...Paige got a LOT of cruelty from Abby Lee. That woman is horrible.

I watched a good portion of the first season, sort of sucked in by the shock and awe factor. But Abby (or the character she is playing?) became so over-the-top that I couldn't stomach it any longer. Really, what made me most angry, was that the moms were allowing their daughters to experience that abuse and manipulation, even if it is fake and scripted. It was too far for minors with no legal voice, and no sane parental protection. Also it made my ears hurt. :cry:

I. LOVE. DANCE MOMS.

Firstly... when the show started, all the moms signed a 4 season contract. They all took lessons at the studio... and Abby wasn't THAT bad. You can watch the first few seasons and she's tough but not that brutal.

Then it all went to shit. Abby's ego exploded. You can tell the girls and moms don't want to be there, but they were stuck in the Lifetime contract. The Hyland drama happened.

Thankfully, now Abby is moving to LA, the original contracts have expired, and I think only the Ziegler girls are signing on for the next round.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is gonna go anywhere. Yes, Abby is a horrible person and they have video evidence. But they also have evidence on Kelly being just as bad. What is important about this case is that it's gonna set the precedent for reality shows involving kids. Can rehearsal time count as filming? How do they count those working hours?

I. LOVE. DANCE MOMS.

Firstly... when the show started, all the moms signed a 4 season contract. They all took lessons at the studio... and Abby wasn't THAT bad. You can watch the first few seasons and she's tough but not that brutal.

Then it all went to shit. Abby's ego exploded. You can tell the girls and moms don't want to be there, but they were stuck in the Lifetime contract. The Hyland drama happened.

Thankfully, now Abby is moving to LA, the original contracts have expired, and I think only the Ziegler girls are signing on for the next round.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is gonna go anywhere. Yes, Abby is a horrible person and they have video evidence. But they also have evidence on Kelly being just as bad. What is important about this case is that it's gonna set the precedent for reality shows involving kids. Can rehearsal time count as filming? How do they count those working hours?

I am so glad the others have not signed back on. I hope that this sets an example for anyone thinking about going into reality TV. I bet those contracts are hard to get out of. Abby began treating everyone, but Maddie and Mack poorly. That is sad because from what I can tell Chloe was a decent dancer. I think Brooke had been, but lost the drive. I think Paige was actually really hurt by Abby's crap. I am not sure on Chloe I know she stopped taking dance lessons there a while ago, but I think some of it with Chloe and her mom was staged. Like all of the I am in, no I am out stuff. I do not know if Chloe was hurt by it or not.

Chloe wasn't in on it. I don't think Christi was... but I think once Abby started picking on her kid, she understandably fired back. The finale this season was about them leaving the studio for good.

I love Chloe... I think she's a WAY better dance than Maddy. I hope she can find a better dance teacher who can bring back her passion.

Chloe wasn't in on it. I don't think Christi was... but I think once Abby started picking on her kid, she understandably fired back. The finale this season was about them leaving the studio for good.

I love Chloe... I think she's a WAY better dance than Maddy. I hope she can find a better dance teacher who can bring back her passion.

I am so glad I am not the only one who thinks Chloe is a better dancer.

I can't get to tmz from work, anyone know what the lawsuit is about?

She is suing Abby over the emotional toll it took on her. Here is a snippet from http://www.ibtimes.com/dance-moms-lawsu ... ng-1703006

Paige claims to now receive medical treatment for panic attacks and extreme anxiety spurred from her time spent with Miller. She is reportedly seeking more than $25K in punitive damages.

While Paige and her mother have yet to speak out about the new lawsuit, their attorney, Michael Shapiro, said the minor’s claims are legitimate. “I’m not looking to make a lot of money off this,†he told TMZ. “I think what Miller has done to the kids is intolerable and has got to stop. It’s the most repugnant case I’ve been involved in after 49 years of practice.â€

Hyland’s other daughter and former “Dance Moms†star, Brooke Hyland, 16, was mentioned in the lawsuit but not listed as a plaintiff.

Archived