They didn't place in the overall, but I think they won their category. There's a video on TLC called "Dear Abby" and she says they got some kind of recognition.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know! I'm not a dancer, but as a former competitive marching band member, I can tell you that routines where the band was trying to tell a "story" rather than just give an entertaining and skilled performance usually fell flat and didn't do that well. It seems like every episode they are trying to convey some type of message to the audience rather than just turning out a clean and well-tuned performance that highlights their abilities. It's almost like their playing a game of charades with the audience.

Or, it could just be that because they are more well-known and judges know that they only spent a week (so they say) on the routines, the judges mark them down subconsciously because they think the other teams have worked longer and harder than the ALDC girls.

I can say from experience that strong themes or narratives can work really well in dance competitions. But they have to be well done. Abby is a pretty sophomoric choreographer and she has bad/unoriginal taste in music and costumes.

Too many of Abby's dances look the same. She seems to have almost no creativity and it gets so boring to see roll on floor, flash the crotch shot, turn, turn, tumble, repeat.

They don't do a lot of real dancing in too many of the group dances. In the solos sometimes the various moves aren't connected at all well either. I agree that I'd much rather see a simpler fully polished routine than some sloppy thing where everyone is slightly to fully off.

Guest Anonymous

I'm over all the drama with the mom's. I just enjoy watching the girls dance. I'd have to say Chloe is my favorite.

My, oh my. Did anyone catch the most recent episode? I heard that Maddie forgot her dance and Abby freaked out (and I heard about the audition debacle).

Oh where to start! First of all, Maddie also won a scholarship, and I'm guessing they all knew it already, and that is what Melissa was pulling her back behind the curtain to tell her. When they interviewed Maddie all she said was that she felt she's "should've been at the top" of their list (and not Chloe). Sometimes I really hate the way they edit this show! In any case I would hope Maddie would be able to suck it up if her friend did win a scholarship and she didn't. I think the other girls did not win (Nia, Paige, etc.), but ofc, Lifetime has to make it all about Chloe v Maddie.

I hated the way they try to play her forgetting her solo on the stress of the scholarship news because Maddie actually got a scholarship. I'm guessing if Maddie had been the only one to win a scholarship they would've had Abby in there with Maddie getting excited, and Abby fawning over her. They made it look like Abby conveniently left the room for the announcement when she probably already knew that both Maddie and Chloe had won. It reminded me of the episode where Maddie fell down and they made such a big deal out of it. I'm glad Holly said something. (She's really the only mom that doesn't drive me crazy at this point.)

I was really disgusted my Abby's response to Maddie's walking off the stage and forgetting her solo. Actually, the only way she could redeem herself is to come back the next season and say that after seeing what happened to Maddie that she realized she had been putting too much pressure on them all, and apologize for not being more compassionate all along, but I totally don't see that happening.

I really found it terrible that she ignored Chloe's first place win all because Cathy beat her by 1 point and her star student walked off the stage. What's???

Ofc, I will be watching next season! Hahaha!

And Cathy is just...IDK, she has to be playing a role for the camera's right? Because she's just unbelievable as a real person.

Oh where to start! First of all, Maddie also won a scholarship, and I'm guessing they all knew it already, and that is what Melissa was pulling her back behind the curtain to tell her. When they interviewed Maddie all she said was that she felt she's "should've been at the top" of their list (and not Chloe). Sometimes I really hate the way they edit this show! In any case I would hope Maddie would be able to suck it up if her friend did win a scholarship and she didn't. I think the other girls did not win (Nia, Paige, etc.), but ofc, Lifetime has to make it all about Chloe v Maddie.

I hated the way they try to play her forgetting her solo on the stress of the scholarship news because Maddie actually got a scholarship. I'm guessing if Maddie had been the only one to win a scholarship they would've had Abby in there with Maddie getting excited, and Abby fawning over her. They made it look like Abby conveniently left the room for the announcement when she probably already knew that both Maddie and Chloe had won. It reminded me of the episode where Maddie fell down and they made such a big deal out of it. I'm glad Holly said something. (She's really the only mom that doesn't drive me crazy at this point.)

I was really disgusted my Abby's response to Maddie's walking off the stage and forgetting her solo. Actually, the only way she could redeem herself is to come back the next season and say that after seeing what happened to Maddie that she realized she had been putting too much pressure on them all, and apologize for not being more compassionate all along, but I totally don't see that happening.

I really found it terrible that she ignored Chloe's first place win all because Cathy beat her by 1 point and her star student walked off the stage. What's???

And Cathy is just...IDK, she has to be playing a role for the camera's right? Because she's just unbelievable as a real person.

I always try to decipher what's real and whats nice. I think chloe is my favorite dancer and Holly is my favorite dance mom. I think Melissa is nutso like Cathy. I wonder if that kendall girl ended up with a scholarship to the ballet thing too?

Did anyone watch the premier of the miami version?

Did anyone watch the premier of the miami version?

I caught it and enjoyed it. The moms seem to be more bitchy but the kids seem to love each other.

The dancers are: Jessi (14), Sammy (12), Hannah (11), Kimmie (9), and Lucas (9)

Very long synopsis:

Mama drama, Sammy and Hannah's moms love to hate each other, Sammy apparently used to pick on Hannah at their old studio, Hannah's been at Stars for 2 years, Sammy is a newbie. No Pyramid for DMM just a "Ladder." Jessi was at the top of the pyramid for some reason I don't remember. Sammy was second on the list because she has a great reputation. Kimmie was 3rd because while she's a great dancer, she tends to forget her dance sometimes. Lucas was 4th because they want him to focus on more than just flexibility. Hannah was fourth for some reason I don't remember. Jessi got a Solo, Kimmie and Lucas got a duet, and there was a group dance. Jessi's mom obviously wants more out of dance than Jessi does, claiming she never got to dance as a child because her mother traveled all the time, and so she works Jessi to the bone which pisses off Victor & Angel. Kimmie and Lucas did a Tango duet which was too old for them and required Lucas to pick Kimmie up multiple times, even though she's the same size as him, and Lucas worried about dropping her. Jessi's solo was great, but afterwards she took off to be alone and cry cause she felt she wasn't good enough. Lucas and Kimmie's duet went well, and they remembered everything. Don't remember where either of them placed, and the group dance was boring as hell. At the awards ceremony Hannah went up to get the trophy and Jessi snatched it out of her hand when she sat back down on stage, upsetting Hannah. Cue Mama's fighting in the dressing room, Jessi's mom claiming her little angel would never do such a thing.

Overall, I think this was a very drama-focused pilot. Lots of arguing between all the adults though, and less dance focused. It'll be interesting to see where it goes. I love the Dancers, don't really like their moms though. That goes for Dance Moms Pittsburgh too.

I caught it and enjoyed it. The moms seem to be more bitchy but the kids seem to love each other.

The dancers are: Jessi (14), Sammy (12), Hannah (11), Kimmie (9), and Lucas (9)

Very long synopsis:

Mama drama, Sammy and Hannah's moms love to hate each other, Sammy apparently used to pick on Hannah at their old studio, Hannah's been at Stars for 2 years, Sammy is a newbie. No Pyramid for DMM just a "Ladder." Jessi was at the top of the pyramid for some reason I don't remember. Sammy was second on the list because she has a great reputation. Kimmie was 3rd because while she's a great dancer, she tends to forget her dance sometimes. Lucas was 4th because they want him to focus on more than just flexibility. Hannah was fourth for some reason I don't remember. Jessi got a Solo, Kimmie and Lucas got a duet, and there was a group dance. Jessi's mom obviously wants more out of dance than Jessi does, claiming she never got to dance as a child because her mother traveled all the time, and so she works Jessi to the bone which pisses off Victor & Angel. Kimmie and Lucas did a Tango duet which was too old for them and required Lucas to pick Kimmie up multiple times, even though she's the same size as him, and Lucas worried about dropping her. Jessi's solo was great, but afterwards she took off to be alone and cry cause she felt she wasn't good enough. Lucas and Kimmie's duet went well, and they remembered everything. Don't remember where either of them placed, and the group dance was boring as hell. At the awards ceremony Hannah went up to get the trophy and Jessi snatched it out of her hand when she sat back down on stage, upsetting Hannah. Cue Mama's fighting in the dressing room, Jessi's mom claiming her little angel would never do such a thing.

Overall, I think this was a very drama-focused pilot. Lots of arguing between all the adults though, and less dance focused. It'll be interesting to see where it goes. I love the Dancers, don't really like their moms though. That goes for Dance Moms Pittsburgh too.

Ok, so I just watched it. I really liked the actual instructors better, but am not sure I like the dancing better. I hated the costumes for the group number and thought they all looked like hookers. (And before anybody says that's normal, I ask: How else should hookers dress?) The boy (Lucas?) was dressed for leather night at the local gay club. WTF??? I agree the moms were creating most of the drama.

One thing they did differently, the moms interviewed with the kids. Not sure how I feel about that yet.

I know. This show is my guilty pleasure, and I am thoroughly ashamed I enjoy it so much. I do wonder, though: is Abby so well-regarded in the dance community that these moms never felt they had any choice but to leave their daughters there to be humiliated and abused by her? Surely there are other good studios in the area that also compete. I know nothing at all about dance; but it seems to me that really good dancers would thrive at any studio; and if they went to one where the teacher was a bit kinder they might actually learn dance without all of the attendant drama. I know there is no TV show without the drama; but does Abby actually have a clientele that aren't featured on the show? Because if I weren't reaping some mighty handsome financial reward from having my daughter appear there, or if Abby weren't the second coming of Georges Balanchine, I would be out that door with my impressionable daughter in a hot second.

My guess is the children know all the drama is scripted. There are moments when you can tell that Abby likes the kids and the kids like her.

Did you see the episode where the Joffrey Ballet teacher told Mackenzie "whoever taught you to shake your bum bum is a dumb dumb"? Mackenzie stood there with a smile on her face. Any other child's face would crumple and they would be upset. Given that the children were dancing for a scholarship, even someone as young as Mackenzie would know this meant they didn't like her routine.

Does anyone know what the hell was/is going on with Melissa's whole "you can't mention my wedding without talking to my lawyer" gig? I'm assuming that it has to do with her ex-husband maybe? Also, does Melissa have male children too or am I getting storylines confused with Brooke/Paige's mom?

Does anyone know what the hell was/is going on with Melissa's whole "you can't mention my wedding without talking to my lawyer" gig? I'm assuming that it has to do with her ex-husband maybe? Also, does Melissa have male children too or am I getting storylines confused with Brooke/Paige's mom?

I'm pretty sure Maddie & Mackenzie are Melissa's only kids. But Kelly did say something in one of the last few episodes about never making it to her son's hockey games because she's always at the dance studio.

And as far as the drama goes, I'm really not sure. But I think I figured out how she could claim she didn't send those "cease & desist" letters to the other moms. If you pay attention during her blow up, as she's going into the room to try to drag Maddie out, she's on cher cell phone & you hear her say, "...call your attorney." I presume she was talking to her fiance & would just keep feigning ignorance if they pushed the issue any more. After all, it wasn't her attorney that sent them. :roll:

Edit: Crappy iPad typing job!

I just say this clip on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDk7XM5B4eQ

I think it was originally a web exclusive from the first episode of season 2.

I couldn't believe it when Abby said, "I know Chloe would never be happy for you. I know that. I don't want you to turn out like that."

What?!

Maddie is 9 and Chloe is 10. First of all, who coaches a 9 year old like that? And who writes of a 10 year old and says she's already "turned out" a certain way.

I couldn't believe her assistant Gianna was just sitting there going along with that. I hope she hasn't learned that those were appropriate statements to make to a child and about another child!

Well to be fair, That could have been staged. I've talked to one of the girls from Abby's studio on facebook, and she said Abby is actually really nice and a lot of the mean things she seems to say on the show are encouraged by the producers. Lifetime is just as bad as TLC with that.

• 2 weeks later...

So today I finally got around to watching my DVR'd Dance Moms: Miami from last night. It was fine, but the most remarkable thing was the commercial for the upcoming season of the original Dance Moms. They had an extra-long commercial to give us a sneak-peek of what to look forward to. Did anyone else see it?

Paige was going to have a solo, and apparently it involved a chair as a prop and Kelly was supposed to have provided something for the chair, maybe pads for the feet. Anyhow, Abby was rehearsing Paige, and the chair she grabbed didn't have the pads. She yelled up into the mom's room to Kelly, and Kelly said she had forgotten the pads, or hadn't got to make them yet, or something. And Abby started her characteristic screaming back, saying "No pads! No solo!!" and she flung the chair and sent Paige out. Paige started to cry and Kelly went stomping in to get her and Brooke and was going to take them and leave. I felt so sorry for Paige (and this in maybe a 90-second commercial!), and then Kelly stormed back in and started screaming at Abby, to-wit: " Good luck paying your bills, because you are going to miss my tuition because we are outta here!!! I pay enough tuition for my girls to come here that I should not have to make costumes and props!! You make enough to provide that!!!!" Which is something I have wondered about all along. What if you're a mom at ALDC who can't sew?

Anyhow, I am ashamed to say it, but I can't wait till the new season in June. I enjoy the MIami show, love the instructors and their rapport with the kids. Next to Abby Lee they are true sweethearts. But I don't think they have any star dancers of the caliber of Maddie and Chloe. But what do I know? I don't know from dancing.

Edited. I can't type.

So today I finally got around to watching my DVR'd Dance Moms: Miami from last night. It was fine, but the most remarkable thing was the commercial for the upcoming season of the original Dance Moms. They had an extra-long commercial to give us a sneak-peek of what to look forward to. Did anyone else see it?

Paige was going to have a solo, and apparently it involved a chair as a prop and Kelly was supposed to have provided something for the chair, maybe pads for the feet. Anyhow, Abby was rehearsing Paige, and the chair she grabbed didn't have the pads. She yelled up into the mom's room to Kelly, and Kelly said she had forgotten the pads, or hadn't got to make them yet, or something. And Abby started her characteristic screaming back, saying "No pads! No solo!!" and she flung the chair and sent Paige out. Paige started to cry and Kelly went stomping in to get her and Brooke and was going to take them and leave. I felt so sorry for Paige (and this in maybe a 90-second commercial!), and then Kelly stormed back in and started screaming at Abby, to-wit: " Good luck paying your bills, because you are going to miss my tuition because we are outta here!!! I pay enough tuition for my girls to come here that I should not have to make costumes and props!! You make enough to provide that!!!!" Which is something I have wondered about all along. What if you're a mom at ALDC who can't sew?

Anyhow, I am ashamed to say it, but I can't wait till the new season in June. I enjoy the MIami show, love the instructors and their rapport with the kids. Next to Abby Lee they are true sweethearts. But I don't think they have any star dancers of the caliber of Maddie and Chloe. But what do I know? I don't know from dancing.

Edited. I can't type.

Yup...I saw it.

Ugh...I understand that Abby wants things prepared for the dances & everything. And I can imagine that it could be somewhat dangerous for Paige if the chair didn't have anything on the feet to keep it from slipping & sliding on the studio floor. But I'll never understand why she takes out her anger with the mothers on those poor girls! I think that's always been my biggest gripe with her. And I'm with Kelly. I can't understand why Abby doesn't provide the things the girls need, then sends the moms on a wild goose chase for props, wigs, hair accessories, etc. I never danced competitively, but I did take the typical dance classes with a once-a-year recital like a lot of girls do. And I can honestly say nothing like that was ever an isssue. My mom did have to do some work on the costumes (I specifically remember her having to put sequins on things & cover shoes in masking tape & spray-paint them. And I'm sure there was probably some real sewing involed at times.), but like I said, everything that was needed was always provided. I think they even had names & contact info of people who would fix up the costumes for the parents who couldn't sew or whatever. And there's a huge difference in having to prepare a couple of costumes once a year & having to do probably as many as three in any given week, too! I'm interested to see if Kelly is actually gonna pull Paige & Brooke & then stick to her guns & not come back! *ROFL* But I think my favorite part was when Kelly went back & nailed Abby for sitting & eating while she worked on a costume! "THAT'S WHY YOU'RE FAT! STOP EATING!!!" :lol: I have to say that's one thing about the show I've really never been able to wrap my head around...An obese dance teacher!

And I'm with you on Dance Moms: Miami, too. I like it, & Angel & Victor seem to be much more sane than Abby. But I think those moms are way worse than the ones on the original series! Totally crazy! And you're right...The dancers there don't seem to be of quite the same calibur as the girls at ALDC. And I'm rarely a fan of the costumes Angel & Victor choose!

Edit: I can't type for beans on my iPad!

Yay! I knew someone else would have seen it!

AGGHH!!! I can't believe I forgot that bit about Abby eating while they're slaving away! It's so true, on so many levels. For one thing, I too am totally surprised at an obese dance teacher. I mean, I just never heard of such a thing. But most especially--those moms are unpaid labor for her! I mean damn! I know they pay a pretty penny to have their daughters at her studio. Can't she have a part-time seamstress or something? They have to have costumes every week; surely someone there in Pittsburgh, a retired lady or SAHM or something, would like to have the extra income. I know if I were paying that kind of money I would not expect to have to sit there and sew on sequins every single week. Or hell, if it really does cost that much more, I'm sure these moms, who seem pretty affluent to me, would pony up the extra bucks. I certainly don't know all the costs involved. My daughter took dance for only one year, and I nearly fainted at the $65 for her little recital costume; I now realize that was nothing. I just think Kelly is correct to be irritated at Abby expecting them to be propmasters.

Yeah, the costumes on Miami are not great. It makes me uncomfortable seeing the girls in those hoochie costumes, but I really think Lucas should at least wear a shirt onstage. He is practically naked. But those moms don't complain the way the ALDC moms do about it. I guess everything is a bit more free and easy in Miami.

ETA: By "complain" I mean about the costumes. They certainly do bitch about each other and their kids!

• 2 months later...

Has anyone been watching this season of dance moms pittsburg? This show is my crack. This season, however, its much clearer what is staged, and what is real. I can tell most of the candy apples fiasco is just a ploy for drama, but certainly not all of it. They stage dramas with the moms too, hence abby continuing to pull in new dancers with difficult moms. Then the moms of course include them in their social outings, despite claiming to hate the women. It just seems like you'd have to be a moron not to realize that's a recipe for disaster.

However, it's not all staged. The only reason I know that is because of the dancers. If it wasn't real they wouldn't end up in tears so often, practically in panic attacks when they screw up a dance.

I must say abby showed her true colors so far this season.

Abby has gotten mad at every other girl on the team for forgetting their dance. However, when Maddie did it, she didn't get mad at all. She comforted her, even cried for her. Then when she was called out on it she threw a hissy fit and left the competition, despite the fact that Chloe won first place. I am pretty much convinced now that her favoritism for Maddie is very real.

It's nice that you can tell the kids really like (and support) each other.

I wish they would show more of the performances; that's the real star of the show, not the mothers' drama.

It's nice that you can tell the kids really like (and support) each other.

I wish they would show more of the performances; that's the real star of the show, not the mothers' drama.

The girls are my favorite part! I love their relationships. It's really hard to see because so much is focused on the moms. I wish they showed more of the little girls interacting. They really think of each other as sisters and its incredibly touching. Especially since all the adults in their lives are always comparing them and pitting them against each other. It must be incredibly hard being Maddie's friend. Always being compared with her as gold standard, moms whining she's the favorite, Abby grossly displaying she's the favorite, etc. Hell, it must be hard just being Maddie.

I like how the kids truly are more mature than the adults, while the adults run around like little kids. Chloe said once along these lines about being compared to Maddie, "I don't think it's fair that they compare us. We are two different people, two different dancers". Which is true. Chloe and Maddie dance very differently.

The dancing is incredible. That's why I tuned in to begin with, I danced for 15 years. I wish they'd do some tap dancing, though

• 2 months later...

Abby doesn't seem to bother me as much as she bothers other people. I don't like the favoritism, but it happens. In any sport. I don't like Melissa though, she doesn't seem to really like her daughters very much. (Keep in mind i've seen all of season one and maybe two episodes from season two.)

• 1 month later...
Abby doesn't seem to bother me as much as she bothers other people. I don't like the favoritism, but it happens. In any sport. I don't like Melissa though, she doesn't seem to really like her daughters very much. (Keep in mind i've seen all of season one and maybe two episodes from season two.)

I totally agree.

Archived