Kelly, Brooke & Paige's mom was at the studio as a teenager and quit to do other teenage stuff. That was sort of a recurring theme last season. Brooke wanting to do other things, and Abby saying Kelly did the same thing. I don't know if she was taught by Abby's mom, but I think Abby has said she was teaching when she was still a teenager herself.

Anyone else think that Payton will show up in a competition with Cathy's studio? Not because I think her mom would really do that, but because I think that's a storyline that the producers would force. As it was the last time we saw Cathy, I thought the other parents from her studio looked bored and could care less about their "nemesis."

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kelly, Brooke & Paige's mom was at the studio as a teenager and quit to do other teenage stuff. That was sort of a recurring theme last season. Brooke wanting to do other things, and Abby saying Kelly did the same thing. I don't know if she was taught by Abby's mom, but I think Abby has said she was teaching when she was still a teenager herself.

Anyone else think that Payton will show up in a competition with Cathy's studio? Not because I think her mom would really do that, but because I think that's a storyline that the producers would force. As it was the last time we saw Cathy, I thought the other parents from her studio looked bored and could care less about their "nemesis."

I was short of hoping for that I think it would be funny epically if Paige beat Brooke In a one on one kind of thing.

I tip my hats to you all for having a stronger stomach than me. I watched one episode and was just so appalled by the disgusting behavior of these mothers that I could never watch it again. They're just horrible people. I feel so sorry for their children. I find it abusive. I actually think T&T moms seem classier and less damaging towards their children. Vomit.

TheJewAmongUs, thanks, I hadn't known that.

Gizmola, I'm not sure it's a strong stomach as much as the train-wreck-can't-look-away inclination. Every episode I hope vainly that the moms will say, "Everybody's replaceable, including Abby Lee Dance Studio" and take their kids away.

At this point, they all use the excuse that "my daughter is happy here, has friends here." Well, hell. *I* think that's code for "i've finally got the desire of my heart: national TV exposure; the kid can deal."

I have come to regard Melissa differently. She's quietly got herself into Loudmouth's good graces, gets private lessons that seem to make a difference for Mackenzie & Maddie in their dancing, and keeps above the Kelly/Christi drama.

She's a bit of a skankyho for going on vaca with the bf and leaving the kids in a strange city with moms who not so secretly despise them and a dance studio owner who may actually love the kids OR just their trophy-getting powerz.

But Abby Lee would throw herself an underperforming dancer in front of a train to protect Mack & Mad at this point, so it made some sense. Also, there were the showrunners, there, it isn't as if the girls were by themselves.

Thing is, some Pittsburghers have posted that they never heard of ALDS until this show, others have posted that it's just one of many teaching studios in that metro area, not a standout for anything ... except now, for its repulsive, abuse-doling owner and three or four of its worse client-moms.

One other thing. I think Maddie and Chloe are equally talented and hard-working. Maddie, however, keeps her chin up and her eyes open wide and beams out at the audience/judges.

Meanwhile, Chloe, just because of the way she's built with her heavy-lidded eyes, doesn't give the same 'wow-factor' buzz when she looks out. That's not to criticize nor mock Chloe at all! It's just an observation about why one seems to "have star quality" as Jabba The Abusive Hut so often croaks about Maddie. NB: Jabba is not merely a nod to another large entity, that's only incidental; Jabba was an evil creature who ate those not of use to himeslf. That's pretty much ALMiller, except she spits out clients who won't glorify her.

Chloe's lithe height makes her much the more impressive dancer overall, JMHO. Maddie's cuteness and talent/hardwork make her a trophy winner, and since it's all about UglyLee, that's tops in her book. NB: Ugly refers to her inner self, not her physical appearance.

None of my kids were gonzo enough about non-academics to turn me into a Dance/Soccer/Etc. Mom, and I was never inclined that way, either. I guess part of why I watch is to see a side of life that's unfamilliar.

Also: I have started to FF through ALM's talking heads....and through rehearsal sequences where ALM is in-studio....and through dressing-room scenes where ALM is present.

Pretty soon I'll be FF'ing through the same scenes with the moms. How the girls dance, their THs, will be all I look at...and then I'll erase the record schedule and that'll be that. I hope!!! :lol:

I tip my hats to you all for having a stronger stomach than me. I watched one episode and was just so appalled by the disgusting behavior of these mothers that I could never watch it again. They're just horrible people. I feel so sorry for their children. I find it abusive. I actually think T&T moms seem classier and less damaging towards their children. Vomit.

I understand your concern about this show but I look at it being no different then competitive sports.I lived in a big high school football town once and have watched the players work out .I saw the coach yelling at the kids much worse then Abby yells at her kids.I enjoy watching the girls dance.I find it kind of good we are watching competitive dancing.It shows that dance can be just as big as say football,baseball etc. Kids in those little league world series games get yelled out in the same manner,they lie about ages to win,try and cheat anyway they can .This show is showing a female sport being similar to a males.

I've only watched a couple episodes, but I didn't find her any worse than many highly competitive coaches. If it's appropriate to let kids compete in a high pressure environment is a different issue, though.

I read an interview Abby gave where she explained that she did not pick the "competition team," the producers interviewed families and that's who they chose. They also asked why other kids from her studio didn't compete. She said she doesn't normally go to the competitions in the first season, she goes to regional competitions that were finished at the time they shot the first season, and she would not normally have been taking kids to these at all.

(realitytvworld .com/news/exclusive-dance-instructor-abby-lee-miller-talks-about-dance-moms-12762.php)

I also read somewhere else where she said she'd never done the pyramid before, that was also the producers' idea.

So in that sense, yes, it is competitive and high pressure for the dancers, but it's also largely staged. I think even if it hasn't been explicitly explained to them, the girls understand that they're doing this to be on TV, and that their moms think being on TV is good for them if they want to be dancers. I think they cry sometimes because they are 9-10 years old and that's what kids do. But they always seem like they're having fun in the interviews .

I read an interview Abby gave where she explained that she did not pick the "competition team," the producers interviewed families and that's who they chose. They also asked why other kids from her studio didn't compete. She said she doesn't normally go to the competitions in the first season, she goes to regional competitions that were finished at the time they shot the first season, and she would not normally have been taking kids to these at all.

(realitytvworld .com/news/exclusive-dance-instructor-abby-lee-miller-talks-about-dance-moms-12762.php)

I also read somewhere else where she said she'd never done the pyramid before, that was also the producers' idea.

So in that sense, yes, it is competitive and high pressure for the dancers, but it's also largely staged. I think even if it hasn't been explicitly explained to them, the girls understand that they're doing this to be on TV, and that their moms think being on TV is good for them if they want to be dancers. I think they cry sometimes because they are 9-10 years old and that's what kids do. But they always seem like they're having fun in the interviews .

TJAU: I owe you a pizza. Or whatever you like. Because not only does the

stage moms

+

ambitious young dancers

+

estrogen

+

TV constructs = DRAMZ

make a lot of sense, but holy cow, I find myself likeing Abby Lee Miller from the link you provided:

...on the flip side, I do not think that my dancers need to take [physical education], and in Pennsylvania, that's a huge thing here -- the physical education requirement, like getting into the gym uniform and getting hit in the face with the dodgeball and hit in the bust over and over and over and calling it phys ed, that's really important here in Pittsburgh.

I think that my girls who are dancing 16 hours a week should be exempt from physical education and during that 45-minute period, they should be in an accounting class or another math class or another language class. So, I think Christi has that a little bit confused.

If I could eat lunch while I'm driving my car, they can eat lunch at their desks. There's a lot of time wasted of going to the cafeteria and getting in line and getting your food, and then you have to shove it down your throat and then run back to class.

They could all sit on a yoga ball during class and eat at their desk and then be out of school at 2:00. So when it comes to their education, I'm just anti-wasting time. (Laughs)

Oh. My. Gosh. As a person who feels that (a) making me attempt to perform on the uneven bars at age 14, having never SEEN uneven bars before - but that was the brilliance of our school district's idea of "physical education" - was the definition of batshit crazy, and that (b) a good 3/4 of the time I spent in high school was a complete and total waste of time .... I'm agreeing with ALM and even liking her.

I will watch next week's epi reminding myself of this interview and of the fact that the girls who perform were not chosen by the producers, their mothers were.

Srsly. I'm all about second chances and I can sure give ALM a second chance in viewing!!!! :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

Does anyone know who that was in the preview for next week who was hurt?

It was Maddie, but she only bruised her tailbone. You can see the full routine here:

tTGPVM3tv8A

Glad Maddie wasn't seriously hurt.I was kind of hoping that Payton would expect Cathy's offer and become a Candy Apple just to see Abby's face when she shows up dancing for them.I have this strange feeling Kendall is going to end up at Cathys and Payton will end up back with Abby.Nice to see Paige getting on top once.She looked good Abby should work with her more.The real surprise through is Mackenzie she has looked like a different dancer the last few weeks.She looks like she enjoying dance

Did anybody else hear a veteran Dance Mom tell Jill that "to be on the ALDC, you sign away a year of your life and promise that if you leave to go to another dance company you will pay Abby $100,000"???

If so, is this typical in competitive amateur dance???? Lard, most divorces don't cost $100k~!

Did anybody else hear a veteran Dance Mom tell Jill that "to be on the ALDC, you sign away a year of your life and promise that if you leave to go to another dance company you will pay Abby $100,000"???

If so, is this typical in competitive amateur dance???? Lard, most divorces don't cost $100k~!

No, it isn't typical, although some ask you to sign contracts that you won't go to another studio within so many miles of theirs.

Thanx, MadameX. The agreement about close-by studios makes some sense.

(I was watching with no sound, just closed captions, and haven't had the oomph to look at the DVR'ed program. Probably won't, either. ;) So your reply is most appreciated!!!)

They totally dramatized Maddie's fall :naughty: Like seriously, when she fell she got up and kept dancing, and Melissa said on twitter that she only bruised her tailbone. :shock:

They totally dramatized Maddie's fall :naughty: Like seriously, when she fell she got up and kept dancing, and Melissa said on twitter that she only bruised her tailbone. :shock:

I was wondering how they'd show it. The only clue that she got up on her own (and finished the routine) is that she falls at one end of the gym and I think she's at the other end when she's talking to the guy later. At the very least, she's standing up.

When I watched all of the routines, I thought Paige did really well, and I was so happy for her after the way her solos went last season. I was so happy when I saw it on the show and first, Abby commented it was the best she's ever danced and then when she won I was sitting there grinning. Yea for the feel good moments :)

I just watched a few episodes, I'm home sick and there's a marathon on TV. Oh my god! I'm appalled on so many levels. From how they all speak to each other to the costumes they wear...ugh. I refuse to believe this is real, I'm glad to read those earlier links about the hopped up for television staging.

I just watched a few episodes, I'm home sick and there's a marathon on TV. Oh my god! I'm appalled on so many levels. From how they all speak to each other to the costumes they wear...ugh. I refuse to believe this is real, I'm glad to read those earlier links about the hopped up for television staging.

I don't know about the drama, but the costumes are definitely real. Check out Amanda Ocampo, I can see Maddie being the same style of Dancer in a few years.

mEpmaIIQk8s

b6LdSy7M7g4

i honestly think Maddie does very well because she seems to be the only girl there that always wants to be there, is convinced abby is going to make her a star, 100 percent. She never says anything negative about abby at all. Her mother spends all of her time working in the studio to pay for private lessons. She even admitted that she allowed dance to destroy her marriage. I think some of the other girls really want this, and a couple just enjoy dancing but would rather not be doing a competition every weekend. Abby also has a great deal of faith in maddie, and shows her a high degree of special treatment because of it. Regardless, all of these girls are incredibly talented.

I think chloe and paige tend to get haggled about straight pointed legs and feet a lot because they are so thin and tall. It would be easier to spot an inconsistency in a child with long, lean legs than one of the shorter ones.

I think chloe and paige tend to get haggled about straight pointed legs and feet a lot because they are so thin and tall. It would be easier to spot an inconsistency in a child with long, lean legs than one of the shorter ones.

Um, also Chloe and Paige are lazy about keeping their legs stretched. Which isn't too uncommon in super thin, gangly 10 year old dancers. It isn't easy.

It's real. The costumes and the horrible way they speak to each other, both are so real. I saw it all the time in the studio where I worked, backstage at competitions, and yeah those costumes are pretty much standard. (Although I NEVER dressed my dancers that way. My costumes were always age appropriate and delightful. I even won special judges awards for them at some comps.)

i honestly think Maddie does very well because she seems to be the only girl there that always wants to be there, is convinced abby is going to make her a star, 100 percent. She never says anything negative about abby at all. Her mother spends all of her time working in the studio to pay for private lessons. She even admitted that she allowed dance to destroy her marriage. I think some of the other girls really want this, and a couple just enjoy dancing but would rather not be doing a competition every weekend. Abby also has a great deal of faith in maddie, and shows her a high degree of special treatment because of it. Regardless, all of these girls are incredibly talented.

Those two points make a lot of sense - about the legs and about Maddie as the one true aspirant to professional dance as a career. Chloe has said that she'd like to join Cirque du Soleil and I would hope that Kelly's getting her some real acrobatics training along with dance. Not that the acro she does at ALD isn't real acro. Good grief, I *still* can't figure out how they do aerials!!!! :shock:

I base my comments on the Cirque performance on the Oscars the other night - what with the leaping from one guy's feet to spinning through the air and landing on another guy's feet, that kinda sorta thing. 8-)

One last blast at the skimpy costumes. I've never seen a boychild or teen boy in a skimpy costume. Even in adult, professional dancing, the guys seem to be covered neck to ankle, and they get plaudits for their fine dancing. Really don't like the overdisplay of skin on the females and despise it on young females. "Young" meaning "not legal to vote."

That's my maiden-aunt attitude and I'm stickin' to it. :geek:

Chloe has said that she'd like to join Cirque du Soleil and I would hope that Kelly's getting her some real acrobatics training along with dance.

I know they do Contortion workshops, but I have to wonder if Chloe will cut back on dance to do Circus? I think That'd probably be her best bet when training for Cirque.

Haha, I laughed out loud. Thank you, Mackenzie.

I loved that quote. :lol: This episode was full of witty quotes. Especially Mackenzie's "It doesn't matter about the dance, It matters about me! I'm emotional!" She's so darn cute. :clap:

When Michael K, who pretty graphically alludes to his non-monogamous sexual encounters, disses a show like this,

http://dlisted.com/2012/03/07/our-futur ... 9#comments

you know that old Ursula has crossed a line.

The only thing as bad as the older girls and Abby enjoying the dreck out of this dreck (check out Kelly's older daughter, she's digging it, and Chloe isn't far behind) is Melissa showing the most emotion ever and it's an emotion somewhere between kvelling and mwah-ha-ha'ing that if the legitimate dance thing don't work out, there's always prostitution for Mads and Macks.

Gah! I have no respect for any of the DMs, not that they ever curried it, but I'm voting with my remote and cancelling future recordings.

I am glad the judges didn't do their usual "Abby's cash packet came through so ABDC is taking everything again, this competition" award-giving.

Archived