IGNORED

Another SOTDRT fail for girls

meda

So Brandi has put her homeschool reading list for her teenage daughters up on her blog. No literature, no poetry, not even any theology...just a bunch of submissive womanhood dreck. It's just so depressing I can't even really snark.

" All of these can be purchased through Amazon and many from Vision Forum.

Joyfully at Home by Jasmine Baucham

Family Daughter by Sarah Bryant (this is one of my favorites! We have read this aloud together before.)

My Heart in His Hands by Sharon James

Beauty of Modesty

Christian Modesty and the Public Undressing of America by Jeff Pollard

When You Rise Up by R.C. Sproul Jr.

Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Trip

Parenting From the Heart by Marilyn Boyer

Lies Women Believe by Nancy Leigh DeMoss

Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes

Woman After God’s Own Heart by Elizabeth George

Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges

Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges

The Hospitality Commands by Alexander Strauch

College Without Compromise

Tightwad Gazette books by Amy Dacyczyn

Consequences of Ideas by R.C. Sproul

Debating Calvinism by Dave Hunt and James White

Theodore Roosevelt, Letters to My Sons

Homemaking by J.R. Miller

Let Me Be a Woman Elisabeth Elliot

Equal Yet Different by Alexander Strauch

Shaping of a Christian Family by Elisabeth Elliot

Attitudes of a Transformed Heart by Martha Peace

Also, we are reading aloud together Beautiful Girlhood by Mabel Hale. What a treasure trove!!"

nurseryofthenation.com/2012/08/a-booklist-for-older-daughters.html

The comments make me weep.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Brandi has put her homeschool reading list for her teenage daughters up on her blog. No literature, no poetry, not even any theology...just a bunch of submissive womanhood dreck. It's just so depressing I can't even really snark.

Family Daughter by Sarah Bryant (this is one of my favorites! We have read this aloud together before.)

Beauty of Modesty

Also, we are reading aloud together Beautiful Girlhood by Mabel Hale. What a treasure trove!!"

The comments make me weep.

We had to read selections from some of these for English/Debate (and Theodore for History). They're a bunch of bull shit. I would never let any child of mine within ten feet of most of them.

I have most of those on my book shelf right now. I bought them years ago when I was trying to be the perfect, submissive, Titus 2 keeper at home, etc, etc. Thing is, I never got around to reading them. I'm still not sure if I should sell them or give them away, or just read them already. But I need to finish Harry Potter first. 8-)

The conservative Mennonites have books like this out too, from an Anabaptist prospective. They can be ordered online. Got a few of those on my shelf that I haven't read either.

These books may be good and all for the girl to read, she can take what she wants and throw out the rest, but they won't be of much help out on the real world....

The only book on that list I'd want a daughter of mine to read is The Tightwad Gazette. It's full of frugal living advice, some of it wild and impractical, but good for getting into a savings mentality when you're just starting out and don't have much money. The rest of that list? Ugh.

I have most of those on my book shelf right now. I bought them years ago when I was trying to be the perfect, submissive, Titus 2 keeper at home, etc, etc. Thing is, I never got around to reading them. I'm still not sure if I should sell them or give them away, or just read them already. But I need to finish Harry Potter first. 8-)

The conservative Mennonites have books like this out too, from an Anabaptist prospective. They can be ordered online. Got a few of those on my shelf that I haven't read either.

These books may be good and all for the girl to read, she can take what she wants and throw out the rest, but they won't be of much help out on the real world....

I don't know about most of them (other than they sound like typical fundie bullshit), but please, for the love of all that's holy get rid of the Tedd Tripp book if you have it. And by "get rid of it" I mean burn it. It encourages hitting children. I would hate for a would be fundie mom to get ahold of it.

Since she's asking for suggestions I am tempted to drop some knowledge on her, in the form of my reading list from my days as an AP English student.

come on SODRT girls, read some 1984, Handmaid's tale, Awakening by Kate Chopin.

Since she's asking for suggestions I am tempted to drop some knowledge on her, in the form of my reading list from my days as an AP English student.

Do it! I`ll do it as well. Sadly, she probably wont know real literature if it struck her in the face.

These books may be good and all for the girl to read, she can take what she wants and throw out the rest....

You are joking, right? Good and all for the girl to read? Take what she wants? Seriously?

Those girls have no other perspective. No other yardstick. No other sources of information. How do they even develop the judgment to know what to keep and what to throw out? I doubt there is anything in that tragic, brain dead, patriarchal, poorly written treacle that is worth saving.

It's like the parent who feeds the child nothing but junk. Not only does the junk ruin the digestion, the metabolism, the tastebuds and the health of the child, it takes up all the available room, leaving no space for something healthy.

edited for riffles

Well, her daughter will be well prepared to be a submissive helpmate. She won't be much use for anything else. The interesting thing is, fundies then want women who are trained in this way to be teachers to their SONS, who are suppose to be leaders and warriors for Christ. I'm constantly amazed how they think the teachers of our future leaders should spend their days reading about how to submit to others.

Beauty of Modesty

None of these books are going to help them answering questions on Jeopardy. :snooty: Then again, how many of the students know that game shows exist and have ever had permission to watch one?

You are joking, right? Good and all for the girl to read? Take what she wants? Seriously?

Those girls have no other perspective. No other yardstick. No other sources of information. How do they even develop the judgment to know what to keep and what to throw out? I doubt there is anything in that tragic, brain dead, patriarchal, poorly written treacle that is worth saving.

It's like the parent who feeds the child nothing but junk. Not only does the junk ruin the digestion, the metabolism, the tastebuds and the health of the child, it takes up all the available room, leaving no space for something healthy.

edited for riffles

Heck the girls aren't even allow to read news papers and yet their parents are filling their heads with this patriarchal crap.

Guest Anonymous

Have you considered having a weenie and marshmallow roast with them as the fuel? That way, you and yours could actually derive some fun from them, and you would have the further reassurance that they won't poison any other young female minds.

The only book on that list I'd want a daughter of mine to read is The Tightwad Gazette. It's full of frugal living advice, some of it wild and impractical, but good for getting into a savings mentality when you're just starting out and don't have much money. The rest of that list? Ugh.

You just never know when you might want to make muffins from the crumbs left down in your toaster!!

(There's some good advice too and I agree with you those are among the best books on the list, but I gotta say some of that frugality advice was just plain WACK, yeah. Though the posters over at misc.consumers.frugal-living could get out there as well...)

So sad no Jane Eyre, To Kill a Mockingbird, Oliver Twist or Little Women. No Tennyson, Shakesphere, Maya Angelou, Dylan Thomas or Sylvia Plath. No Camelot, Narnia, Middle Earth or Hogwarts to imagine. No Laura Ingals, Anne Shirley, Nancy Drew not even a Christy Huddleston.

I don't know about most of them (other than they sound like typical fundie bullshit), but please, for the love of all that's holy get rid of the Tedd Tripp book if you have it. And by "get rid of it" I mean burn it. It encourages hitting children. I would hate for a would be fundie mom to get ahold of it.

No Tedd Tripp book on the shelf. Never even heard of the guy. I don't have children so don't have child rearing books. Just ones for the wives...plus the Tightwad Gazette. Good stuff there. :)

edited for riffles

There are many a women out there who have no idea how to respect their husbands. They bitch and whine, nag and pout and berate / belittle their men and treat them like dogs. I see it all the time when I am out. They have no idea how to be a wife. A wife who knows how to love & respect their man. My mom was a divorced single woman. I had no idea what a wife was supposed to do when I got married. Before they divorced all I seen was her yelling and screaming at my dad. That's all I had to go on as a young bride of 19. The first few months of my marriage I put my husband through hell and treated him like a piece of sh!t because that's all I knew. Then I became a Christian and slowly began learning how to be a helpmeet to my husband and learning how to respect him and yet not lose my own identity (as many women do). Many of the books listed did help with that. Since not all husbands are the same, I took what I needed & left the rest.

Well, her daughter will be well prepared to be a submissive helpmate. She won't be much use for anything else. The interesting thing is, fundies then want women who are trained in this way to be teachers to their SONS, who are suppose to be leaders and warriors for Christ. I'm constantly amazed how they think the teachers of our future leaders should spend their days reading about how to submit to others.

The fundies have so many logic fails, but that one is epic.

There are many a women out there who have no idea how to respect their husbands. They bitch and whine, nag and pout and berate / belittle their men and treat them like dogs. I see it all the time when I am out. They have no idea how to be a wife. A wife who knows how to love & respect their man. My mom was a divorced single woman. I had no idea what a wife was supposed to do when I got married. Before they divorced all I seen was her yelling and screaming at my dad. That's all I had to go on as a young bride of 19. The first few months of my marriage I put my husband through hell and treated him like a piece of sh!t because that's all I knew. Then I became a Christian and slowly began learning how to be a helpmeet to my husband and learning how to respect him and yet not lose my own identity (as many women do). Many of the books listed did help with that. Since not all husbands are the same, I took what I needed & left the rest.

Oh ferchrissakes, this is such a pile of crap and you know it.

Oh ferchrissakes, this is such a pile of crap and you know it.

What would I have to prove by lying? Nothing. Just sharing what I have known, seen and been a part of. No qualms if you disagree with me. You are free to do so. :D

I'm not sure where I read it, might've been here, might've been "gentle christian mothers" but I've heard a saying when people would defend the Pearls' methods that I think is equally applicable here: The stuff that's unique isn't good, and the stuff that's good isn't unique. BURN THE DAMN BOOKS! It's like taking a Pearl book and saying, "well, he says my kid needs to be breastfed on demand, so no matter that he also says they should get the shit beat out of them with plumbing line, at least he's getting the boob!" WTH?!

I agree to a degree that berating and being an all around bitch isn't good for any relationship, but that doesn't mean you stay silent when a husband is being an man-child or making poor decisions!

I seriously HATE the term helpmeet, a woman is MUCH more than a helper for her husband. Also, Respect works BOTH ways. You get it because you give it. If a man isn't going to respect you first, and work on his own shit, that doesn't mean the woman just automatically has to work on all of her shit and he just gets a free pass!

Sounds like your parents divorced for good reason if all you can remember is fighting, thats generally what happens! But now you're just trying to play a blame-game because of those times, for your own short-failings of learning how to express yourself and having treated your husband like shit initially and are now playing the martyr because of it.. But thats just my opinion.

One wonders, why you are on FJ if these are your views...

Muggles you still have a fundy mindset when it comes to women. This kind of stuff is left over from your Messianic and Pentecostal days. You can't see it but others can.

Are you a practicing RCC like your husband now?

You just never know when you might want to make muffins from the crumbs left down in your toaster!!

(There's some good advice too and I agree with you those are among the best books on the list, but I gotta say some of that frugality advice was just plain WACK, yeah. Though the posters over at misc.consumers.frugal-living could get out there as well...)

:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

Yeah, Dacyczyn could really stretch the point sometimes. Definitely an entertaining read, though. :lol:

Guest Anonymous

So do you stalk people or are you making nasty snap judgements after observing a minute long interaction that's totally out of context? Maybe you've ingested so much "it's all the woman's fault" reading material that you're predisposed to freaking blame the woman. That is a pile of bullshit.

And please cut it out with the special snowflake colors/font/bold/what-the-fuck-ever you think up next. It's irritating as hell.

**Edited to clean up my formatting. Bolding! It's for emphasis, not for every damn thing you say.

**ETA from MagicalMuggle's blog:

P.S. Please do not think I am all of a sudden some anti keeper at home feminist. I am not.

Thanks for clearing that up! It's no surprise that you don't have a problem with those books, since you think women are and ought to be less than men. You're a tool.

Archived