IGNORED

Words that ABC Family chooses to edit from broadcast

shesinsane

ABC Family, "a new kind of family", has shows that address grown up topics, but in immature ways. I watched Greek and now I watch Bunheads, but most of the rest of their original programming is the pits (in my opinion).

Anyway, this weekend nothing was on and I was too lazy to get out of bed to grab a DVD, so I turned on ABC Family, which was showing Bring It On (the first one, with Kirsten Dunst and Eliza Dushku). This is a movie I really like, and know a lot of the dialogue from, so when a character's mouths moved and no sound came out, I knew what word was missing.

Shit and fuck were silenced, of course. So was dick (when a football player was called one). When the Sparky said "cheerleaders are dancers that have gone retarded", that last word was silenced.

You know what word was left in? Bitch. More than once, sometimes referring to a character off screen, sometimes said to a character's face.

Either go all in or don't bother, ABC Family. The FCC says you have to censor the shits and fucks, but words like retarded, bitch, and dick are left to the networks to decide. I wish the network would consider slurs against females as unsuitable for broadcast as slurs against men and the developmentally disabled.

Archived