IGNORED

11 things the bible bans but you do anyway

BlondeAgent007

www.11points.com/Books/11_Things_The_Bi ... _Do_Anyway

Found this today. I knew a lot of them from here and there, but there were a few I didn't know, like wearing blended fabrics is banned. So is wearing gold and men without testicles attending church. Apparently football too. I wonder what the fundies would think about some of the items on this list. All of those things I mentioned have probably happened in those circles.

http://www.11points.com/Books/11_Things_The_Bible_Bans,_But_You_Do_Anyway

Found this today. I knew a lot of them from here and there, but there were a few I didn't know, like wearing blended fabrics is banned. So is wearing gold and men without testicles attending church. Apparently football too. I wonder what the fundies would think about some of the items on this list. All of those things I mentioned have probably happened in those circles.

That's men without testicles entering the Temple, surely? And since there IS no Temple at the moment, and Christians wouldn't attend anyway, surely the point is moot in that one regard?

As far as football goes, I'm going to guess that's the old pigskin. If you use one that's not made of pig or some other unkosher animal, it should be fine. It's not the game that's the problem, it's the pig. (Though of course, those rules really are only for Jews, aren't they?)

That's men without testicles entering the Temple, surely? And since there IS no Temple at the moment, and Christians wouldn't attend anyway, surely the point is moot in that one regard?

As far as football goes, I'm going to guess that's the old pigskin. If you use one that's not made of pig or some other unkosher animal, it should be fine. It's not the game that's the problem, it's the pig. (Though of course, those rules really are only for Jews, aren't they?)

But the Biiiibleeeee is the sacred word of God, from Him, to my Headship to me. We must follow all His Commandments else we will burn in a lake of fire!!!!

according to the translations he provided:

Deuteronomy 23:1 reads (this is the God's Word translation, which spells it out better), "A man whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off may never join the assembly of the Lord."

That sounds like any type of gathering for religion. As for the football one, it is any handling of the animal at all, even raising them for slaughter.

Leviticus 11:8, which is discussing pigs, reads "You shall not eat of their flesh nor touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you."

Lots of fundies have farms. He also mentions divorce and pulling out which they agree with. I liked that he included passages they also quote on the list. It's not directly aimed at the uber religious, more or less for the every day person.

ETA yes it is mentioned that the pig one is the basis of kosher law. Still in the bible.

There is at least one epistle of Paul's where he instructs women not to wear gold and ornaments to worship services, and to cover their hair. If you go to a Greek Orthodox church for Easter, you will see the rocks, the gold, the intricate hairdos, not to mention all us harlots paint our faces. :mrgreen:

Don't the Botkinettes and the Anacondia Hunter's wife all wear jewlery and makeup in church? They don't cover their hair either. I'll give them points that their headships don't allow the helpmeets and helpmeets-in-training to talk in Church as Paul instructed.

Edited because I originally forgot to cite the Botkinettes and Bial-ze-bub.

I'm sorta of two minds when it comes to lists like this.

On one hand, I suppose it's useful when dealing with Christian fundies who get off on telling other people how to live their lives without wanting to put any effort into their own religious observance (although I think that pointing out the "love your neighbor" portions may be more persuasive since they won't argue that those passages no longer apply). I also think that it's a useful illustration of why simply citing Biblical texts doesn't instantly persuade people, and of why you really don't want to live in a theocracy.

On the other hand...it's not terribly persuasive in my neck of the woods, which has far more Orthodox Jews than fundies. We already avoid pork products and shellfish, the local barber leaves sideburns on the guys and there is even a place down the street that checks fabrics for forbidden mixtures.

Archived