IGNORED

anybody know Muslim women's dress

ricky_ticky

experience dd, I'd never encountered this style before either, and I also spend a lot of time on university campus. Our Muslim population is not as large as yours, although there is a mosque nearby. Most of the women I see on campus wear modern, conventional clothing with the hijab. I did get the impression that these women belonged to families who were recently immigrated - the woman I saw in O'hare airport seemed absolutely terrified. Not snarking on her for that, just observing that we may see more of this style as immigration increases or that women may adopt more Americanized hijab in time.

please, can you explain to me what are spanish hijabs?? because i live in spain and i never hear about them.

Spanish hijabs are beautiful in my opinion. They are so elaborate, almost a work of art. There's some here http://thehijablog.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... n-streets/ - the last set of pictures. I've seen much more elaborate ones than those though.

Edit: some more here http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_E_O1UDvgkc4/T ... anish3.jpg

Spanish hijabs are beautiful in my opinion. They are so elaborate, almost a work of art. There's some here http://thehijablog.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... n-streets/ - the last set of pictures. I've seen much more elaborate ones than those though.

Edit: some more here http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_E_O1UDvgkc4/T ... anish3.jpg

oh so they are from egypt!!! the name confunded me. They are beautiful indeed. Do you know why they are called spanish?

Haven't a clue, sorry. I love them though, they must take ages to do.

The Egyptian pictures had some gorgeous outfits. Those scarves are amazing.

oh so they are from egypt!!! the name confunded me. They are beautiful indeed. Do you know why they are called spanish?

This is nothing more than guesswork, but I wonder if they were worn by Moorish Muslim women who took the style to Egypt when the Moors were expelled from Granada.

According to this article, they're called Spanish wraps because the knot in the back is reminiscent of the hairstyles worn by flamenco dancers. I have no idea how accurate that is.

According to this article, they're called Spanish wraps because the knot in the back is reminiscent of the hairstyles worn by flamenco dancers. I have no idea how accurate that is.

im keeping with this teory, because its more funny :D

This thread reminded me that while we were in Austria I saw a woman in a batulla. I'd never seen them before and had to do some reading. While I am familiar most muslim styles of dress, this was unusual to me and initially quite off-putting, I'll admit.

This thread reminded me that while we were in Austria I saw a woman in a batulla. I'd never seen them before and had to do some reading. While I am familiar most muslim styles of dress, this was unusual to me and initially quite off-putting, I'll admit.

I only saw one once and went on a huge research binge about them. Supposedly in Quatar they are worn by older women or younger women who never hope to marry. I've never really read why the metal face mask/cage.

I only saw one once and went on a huge research binge about them. Supposedly in Quatar they are worn by older women or younger women who never hope to marry. I've never really read why the metal face mask/cage.

If I'm remembering correctly, it is a regional dress among certain bedouin people. And I think I also read that they aren't actually made of metal but rather use a dye that can rub off on the skin. The woman I saw was older but clearly had 3 little girls who seemed to be her own children.

Archived