IGNORED

Food Budget

Want More Babies

I know that in the past we have discussed how many fundie girls are thin. We get a glimpse of that from the comments section over at Kelli's blog.

Kelly tells us how she is trying to keep her food budget at under $600. for the month, and wants to take it even lower. She gives ideas on what they eat, but we already know one chicken is STRETCHED.

One of the commenters had this to say.

There’s no control over the food supply if 11 people are grazing at will! We’ve always had the same expectation in our home, and it has served us well. Nobody has starved yet (though they sometimes threaten to), and everyone eats heartily at mealtime! (It enables us to avoid overweight issues too…another perk!)

And there is this response from Kelli

You reminded me…they are never “hungry†between meals, only “starvingâ€. To which I give them the third-world country story and threaten to make it real.

I am thankful that I have money to buy food, and can afford good food. Young children need nutritious food as they are growing. Also, you would think that since they have so many children, that they would realize that children, at times, need to eat more if they are getting ready to go through a growth spurt. I am thankful that my children do not have to go through the day feeling hungry. If they are hungry they can always eat fresh fruit, fresh veggies, granola bars, sandwich, etc. I somehow doubt there is much food come meal time for many of these children.

Once again, I think we are seeing how much they really "love" children. :cry:

generationcedar.com/main/2012/08/put-your-kitchen-on-a-budget.html#comments

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't imagine how they can control the food for such a large family short of putting a lock on the kitchen. Hungry children will wander into anything to forage for food. There are ways to feed a large family on a small budget. If it gets really bad, the parents should swallow their pride and apply for welfare so their kids won't go hungry. I don't know why parents think it's ok to let their kids go hungry when there are strategies to stretch the food budget and there's help within reach.

Nutrition, growth spurts, kids needing food security, none of that matters, because the real issue for them is CONTROL. There is no aspect of their children's lives they don't feel a need to control.

As for giving her kids the "3rd World true starvation" lectures, your kids don't live in the third world, they live in a country where it is not necessary to go hungry, you TOOL!

I used to be able to eat on under $100 for one person for the month, over the past decade food prices have gone way up. I can still do it for $150-$200, or a little less- BUT food prices have jumped in the last few months, and even if you go with $100 per month for every person over 5, and $50 for under that, less than $600 isn't going to cut it. I don't like the fact that she's reproducing irresponsibly, but PLEASE use WIC, use food stamps, those kids deserve proper nutrition. Little ones need more calories for their size than adults and they don't have big stomachs, so they need to eat more during the day than adults. And teens, well, teens also have growth spurts.

This is another case where the kids are going to have food issues as adults.

I used to be able to eat on under $100 for one person for the month, over the past decade food prices have gone way up. I can still do it for $150-$200, or a little less- BUT food prices have jumped in the last few months, and even if you go with $100 per month for every person over 5, and $50 for under that, less than $600 isn't going to cut it. I don't like the fact that she's reproducing irresponsibly, but PLEASE use WIC, use food stamps, those kids deserve proper nutrition. Little ones need more calories for their size than adults and they don't have big stomachs, so they need to eat more during the day than adults. And teens, well, teens also have growth spurts.

This is another case where the kids are going to have food issues as adults.

Your budget matches my experience also. I'm telling you, they raise children like corporations raise feedlot cattle.

Teaching your kids about "3rd world people starving" would be better accomplished my teaching them a sense of gratitude and teaching them to not be wasteful of their food.

She is cheap and doesn't want fat kids, that is what is behind all this. She could give a shit less about people from 3rd world countries....she doesn't even care about her own kids or other people in general.

Thats sad. They shouldnt be having so many children if they have to stretch the budget so far to feed the ones they already have. Its putting their kids health at risk, but I think for a lot of fundie families, kids are a status symbol and having as many as possible is ideal, but once theyre born theyre just a number.

Thats sad. They shouldnt be having so many children if they have to stretch the budget so far to feed the ones they already have. Its putting their kids health at risk, but I think for a lot of fundie families, kids are a status symbol and having as many as possible is ideal, but once theyre born theyre just a number.

:text-yeahthat:

I have a one year old who can put away quite a bit of food... I can't imagine trying to slow her down. What about when she cries for more food? Kelly sounds like a moron.

I have a one year old who can put away quite a bit of food... I can't imagine trying to slow her down. What about when she cries for more food? Kelly sounds like a moron.

She is a moron. However, we are also talking a group of people who schedule their children to learn how to sleep when the parents feel like it, so I imagine they just ignore the asking or punish it.

Far too many large family fundies are obssessed with spending as little as possible on food and with keeping their children skinny. It's always odd when mom is large (and yes, I'm large too, hazard of having too many kids than your thyroid can handle carrying) but won't allow any of the kids to be anything but skinny.

The reality is that they cannot afford the food budget, and often are categorically opposed to food stamps. So, they justify their behavior by saying the kids aren't starving and it's actually good for everyone.

Yet, my newest son has grown 20lb and 2 fulll shoe sizes since he came home three months ago after disrupting from a fundie home. Mom was larger than I am but the kids weren't permitted to eat without permission EVER. He's mid-teens and WELL beyond when he should be having a growth spurt like this, which means the only reason he's growing so fast and so furious is that he was indeed starved.

For a child who was starved in his childhood in an orphanage, I find that especially repulsive.

Sadly, I've had more than a few fundie friends who were THRILLED that their bio-kids were technically failure to thrive and just avoided doctors to no one noticed it. FTT meant less food and skinny kids. It was something to strive for and not a medical emergency.

My kids eat like a pack of wild horses. Of eight of them, only one has a weight issue and that issue comes from issues beyond merely my providing food for my kids. My grocery budget is the BIGGEST item in my budget every month. It's higher than my rent payment, higher than what my mortgage payment was when I had a mortgage. I fully accept that my grocery budget is the biggest thing I spend in a given month, and since they are all rapidly hitting their teen years, I expect it to continue to rise.

We do NOT skip on the food issue. We just do NOT. I grew up having my food controlled and I have serious anxiety issues about food. I refuse to do that to my children! Granted, if they eat all of something, I won't go running back to buy more until the next grocery trip, but there is ALWAYS food in the house for them to eat and I do NOT control food.

I have at times had to have a very small food budget for myself (£10 a week, or about $16). That was hard enough, and I was an adult who only needed to look after herself. The idea of forcing children to be on extremely limited food intakes makes me so sad. Fundies like this don't love children, they're just 'blessing' collectors.

I know that in the past we have discussed how many fundie girls are thin. We get a glimpse of that from the comments section over at Kelli's blog.

Kelly tells us how she is trying to keep her food budget at under $600. for the month, and wants to take it even lower. She gives ideas on what they eat, but we already know one chicken is STRETCHED.

What?!? $600 for how many people? I am freaking cheap. I shop sales, especially for groceries. I use coupons. I buy generic. I have a budget that I have just upped to $450 a month, for 5 people. I don't personally know anyone who buys as much food as I do, for as little as I do. If her budget is $600 a month, she can't be buying for more than 7 people, and 2 need to be 5 or under....ok, I just went to her blog....11 people cannot eat on that little a month! What is she feeding them?!?

Hey, I wonder if she knows that a $600 a month budget breaks down to $6.66 for each meal? :twisted:

chaotic life - I have another example of that for you.

I am reminded of a story of an actor whom I will not name for fear of sounding like a gushing fangirl. :oops: Anyway, said actor was/is working on a television series. At the time of this story he was in his very early twenties.

Apparently this actor inherited a genetic condition which I've never learned the name of that caused the muscle at the end of his esophagus to shut down when stimulated, making it difficult to impossible to swallow. It took a while for him to be correctly diagnosed because he was also working as a model and they kept thinking he was anorexic, but it progressed to where he could only get liquids down, at which point he finally got a diagnosis. He went in for surgery two days after they finished filming the season.

And then he started eating. A lot. (Gotta love social media)

The problem was that the last episode of the season was a cliff hanger. The first episode of the next season opened literally with him on the other side of the door. So he was under strict orders to not gain or lose weight over the summer, no matter what. He *had* to get back into his wardrobe. But now that he could eat he was eating his family out of house and home. So his mother and his sister kept measuring his 28" waist to make sure he could get back into his pants come August. Somehow he managed to eat and gain weight but his waist size never changed.

Come August he admitted he had gained weight but he got right back in those pants. No one had a clue where it had all gone. Until they looked down at his inseam and realized he had gone from 6'1" to 6'4". Yep, 23 years old, college grad, working in Hollywood, but once he had adequate nutrition on board he still managed to pull one last growth spurt.

It's not just your son, chaotic life, It's really not.

Young people need to eat to grow. It's one thing if it's a medical condition and you're trying your dammdest to get them help, but to deliberately starve and stunt your children because you're too proud for food stamps or your guru insists that you have dozens of children you can't afford or because you refuse to practice abstinence is flat out evil.

Hey, I wonder if she knows that a $600 a month budget breaks down to $6.66 for each meal? :twisted:

Such a nice, round number...Anyone feel convicted to share that with her? :whistle:

I am cheap, but I could not feed my family properly on $6.66/meal all the time, and there are three of us. If we grew a garden we could, but even that would be tight. I mean, what are you feeding them for that price? Chicken mixed with rice and a can of mixed veggies?

She has a lock on her cabinets so her children can't access food. Beautiful: :evil:

Then I lock the pantry and dare someone to break in

We are a family of 4. 2 adults, 2 kids (7 & 8). I budget 1,200 a month for food. My husband has recently been put on a restricted diet (he was having some medical issues) so I make most of our food from scratch (yay for learning to cook after almost 12 years of marriage :P Before this he was the resident chef). I keep TONS of fresh veggies and fruits in the house and I get good cuts of meat. I may not carry a $500 handbag or wear designer shoes but we always have plenty of fresh, healthy food in the fridge.

It absolutely infuriates me that this woman continues to reproduce after having to literally lock her cabinets because she can't afford for her kids to eat anything that's not on the menu for the day:

If it’s not on the menu, you’re not eating it

We do meals as follows:

3 meals a day.

Breakfast: Cereal, oatmeal, muffins, eggs, toast, yogurt...that kind of thing

Lunch: Sandwiches w/ fruit and veggies, leftovers, ect.

Dinner: Hot meal (don't scrimp on the protein) and several fresh veggies w/ a side of fruit or salad. If the kids don't like what I'm serving they are welcome to help themselves to a healthy alternative

Snacks: Fresh fruit and veggies, whole grain crackers, ect. (If it's healthy and in the cabinet, they are welcome to it)

Here's another thing. What about growth spurts??? I can always tell when my little ones are going through a growth spurt because they wake up in the night for a snack. Between the two of them I have spent many a night in the kitchen chatting over a bowl of cereal or some milk and a sandwich. I could no more let my babies go to bed hungry, than I could fly to the moon.

My kids are both very healthy weights and good at choosing healthy foods.

Kelly makes me sick. Sick. She lives very close to me and I felt so sorry for her when the tornado destroyed her home. My sympathy faded when she tried to sell items to her children that had been donated to their family. Did I mention she makes me sick?

I am cheap, but I could not feed my family properly on $6.66/meal all the time, and there are three of us. If we grew a garden we could, but even that would be tight. I mean, what are you feeding them for that price? Chicken mixed with rice and a can of mixed veggies?

Skip the can of veggies. I have a feeling that she is not buying any fruit or veggies, fresh, frozen, or canned.

I hope none of those kids are allergic to milk. Soy/almond/rice milks are all rather expensive. I want to cry every week when I buy ours (2 kids who can't drink milk).

This Kelly is whacked. I can see putting treats and sweets in a place that's less accessable so they aren't choosing ding dongs all day long...BUT for f*ck's sake have a loaf of bread and a big jar of PB or a healthy cereal and milk always available so your growing children can eat when they are hungry! Or STOP having children!

I am reminded of a story of an actor whom I will not name for fear of sounding like a gushing fangirl. :oops: Anyway, said actor was/is working on a television series. At the time of this story he was in his very early twenties.

Annie, please sound like a fan girl!!! You have to tell me who (seriously, don't make me spend all night searching through Perez Hilton's blog to figure it out!). Please? Pleaspleasepleasepleasepleeeeeeeeease!!!111!!

Wow. I've never heard of anyone locking the pantry or cabinets before. :shock: Indeed, like someone mentioned, it's all about control.

Food really has gone up and I am watching it still continue to rise. :|

It's just me and my husband. I try to stay within a $200/month (or less) budget. $50/week. That includes things like toilet paper, shaving cream, feminine products, etc, etc as well as food. I use coupons when I can as well.

Her whole post shows what an idiot she is. All individuals are different, and with that many kids, their needs are going to be diverse. Some people (especially growing teens) need to eat more than others. I get the feeling she feeds a 16 yr old boy the same amount as an 8 year old because she is that cheap, controlling, and stupid.

My food budget is like the last place I would cut from. I think I've already cut it as much as possible without like messing up my kid's intake. There are so many things I would quit before I started locking up cabinets and rationing cheese. I'd shut off my internet, for one. :roll:

Apparently this actor inherited a genetic condition which I've never learned the name of that caused the muscle at the end of his esophagus to shut down when stimulated, making it difficult to impossible to swallow. It took a while for him to be correctly diagnosed because he was also working as a model and they kept thinking he was anorexic, but it progressed to where he could only get liquids down, at which point he finally got a diagnosis. He went in for surgery two days after they finished filming the season.

And then he started eating. A lot. (Gotta love social media)

The problem was that the last episode of the season was a cliff hanger. The first episode of the next season opened literally with him on the other side of the door. So he was under strict orders to not gain or lose weight over the summer, no matter what. He *had* to get back into his wardrobe. But now that he could eat he was eating his family out of house and home. So his mother and his sister kept measuring his 28" waist to make sure he could get back into his pants come August. Somehow he managed to eat and gain weight but his waist size never changed.

Come August he admitted he had gained weight but he got right back in those pants. No one had a clue where it had all gone. Until they looked down at his inseam and realized he had gone from 6'1" to 6'4". Yep, 23 years old, college grad, working in Hollywood, but once he had adequate nutrition on board he still managed to pull one last growth spurt.

It's not just your son, chaotic life, It's really not.

Young people need to eat to grow. It's one thing if it's a medical condition and you're trying your dammdest to get them help, but to deliberately starve and stunt your children because you're too proud for food stamps or your guru insists that you have dozens of children you can't afford or because you refuse to practice abstinence is flat out evil.

I must know who this is, lol. I promise not to think you're a gushing fangirl. I'm just on the lookout for a new TV series to enjoy.

Ironically, my post got eaten. I have a family of 2 adults, 2 teenaged boys and a toddler. I struggle to keep the food budget under 7 to 8 hundred a month (it varies from season to season - worse in summer 'cause in winter I tend to make more lasting foods like stew or chili).......

Archived