IGNORED

Movies you would force the Duggars and other fundies...

lilwriter85

I want to too, not going to lie. I want to see what it would be like to wear the clothes and actually DO they really mundane things no one writes about, especially as a woman. No one is that interested in the domestic but that's what women would have had to do so I find it interesting.

Did anyone see some of the more recent ones like Victorian Farm, Edwardian Farm or Victorian Pharmacy?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to too, not going to lie. I want to see what it would be like to wear the clothes and actually DO they really mundane things no one writes about, especially as a woman. No one is that interested in the domestic but that's what women would have had to do so I find it interesting.

Did anyone see some of the more recent ones like Victorian Farm, Edwardian Farm or Victorian Pharmacy?

Can we find them on youtube or somewhere? I would love to see them. I think I saw one of them but I'm not sure.

dh and I totally want to do an Amish House one if they ever make it.

I romanticize those eras too, O Latin. I guess the difference between fundies and us is that we understand it was not all pretty dresses and family dinners.

I just remembered another one that was fun but sad at the same time, Calender Girls. Does anyone remember that one with the sunflower?

Calendar Girls! That's also one of my favorite movies. It's on my list of Movies That Make Me Want To Be British as well as my list of Movies To Watch When I Can't Sleep Or Am Feeling Sad.

Calendar Girls! That's also one of my favorite movies. It's on my list of Movies That Make Me Want To Be British as well as my list of Movies To Watch When I Can't Sleep Or Am Feeling Sad.

It always makes me want to be a cool, hip old lady and pose naked when I get old... well older. Those women rocked. :D

Another one would be Fried Green Tomatos, tolerents an such.

Oh yes!! This is such a lovely film!

Guest Anonymous

It always makes me want to be a cool, hip old lady and pose naked when I get old... well older. Those women rocked. :D

In a similar vein would be a made-for-TV movie, The Last Of The Blond Bombshells. That was a charming little movie featuring Judi Dench, Olympia Dukakis and Cleo Laine.

Harry Potter. I don't think they'd panic, really, and the movies stop making sense after Prisoner of Azkaban if you haven't read the books. But they would get some good stuff out of it, and all of the HP movies are pretty tame. Hardly any swearing, not a lot of gore, and I think that once they got past the OH CRAP WITCHES factor, they'd greatly approve of the Weasleys.

I'd love for them to see Saved!, which is about teen pregnancy and the church's refusal to actually do anything about it. And the Boondock Saints.

Carrie would definitely be a good one for them to see. Then again I'm a bit biased as Carrie is one of the few horror movies I can stand.

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. The movie itself is hilarious, and I'm sure Jimboob's reaction would be even more so.

I'm fresh out of movies to think of right now, but I may post more later.

Saved! most definitely!

Mary Poppins would definitely make a good stealth movie; anybody seen that Christian movie site where every.single.movie has something evil about it, except Mary Poppins? It hits all the right buttons to slip under the radar of the fearful, but it's about leaving the doors open for joy.

If Tangled could be sold to the fearful with the same kind of glamor, it would be an excellent movie for girls. People who grew up in families like the ones that get snarked here have said that somebody who worked on that movie must have come from a similar background. It's about waking up, spitting out the Kool-Aid, and getting free. Unfortunately it has already drawn criticism from fundamentalists because the heroine is just so rebellious against her mother. Never mind that her supposed mother kidnapped her, lied to her about everything, and would cheerfully have dumped her long ago if she could get what she needed any other way. The "mother" sings "Mother Knows Best," so she must really know best. It's a rather sad look into how little thinking gets done in the fundamentalist bubble, really. Anyway, great movie, go enjoy.

Kiki's Delivery Service probably could never make the cut because the heroine is described as a witch and her inborn talents are called magic, plus her wise female friend is dressed in horribly defrauding clothes (tank top and cut-off jeans, the hussy!). But it's about innocent love between a boy and a girl, a girl learning how capable she really is, and mature love between men and women in healthy families.

I've read on a few boards/blogs reasons why Mary Poppins is bad. Namely the fundies object to the Sister Suffragette song and the fact that the wife isn't a doormat. Also the father is portrayed as "bumbling"

I knew I was drawing a blank on something very important last night. Fundies, especially Southern ones, must see both "9-5" and "Steel Magnolias" so they can see what Dolly Parton did to make Dollywood possible.

Plus, any movie where the characters sit around stoned and have fantasies about offing the chauvanistic, womanizing patriarch err...boss is fine with me.

The Matrix trilogy (because they're my favorite movies of all time)

Mulan (because it's another one of my favorite movies and Mulan was like my role model growing up)

The Producers (because it's funny and the fundies could use some more lulz in their lives)

V for Vendetta (another one of my favorites, and with a message the fundies could stand to hear)

The King's Speech (because I like it)

Accepted (because lulz again)

Ferris Buehler's Day Off (ditto)

Bruce Almighty (because Morgan Freeman)

TRON and TRON: Legacy (again, I like them, and the fundies could stand to see what happens to the MCP and CLU as cautionary tales)

And while they're not movies-

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (because the fundies need to learn about the importance of friends who aren't related to you. Also ponies.)

Azumanga Daioh (ditto, only minus the ponies)

Guest Anonymous

Dead Poets Society - Think for yourself, people! Also, forcing your children to do what you want regardless of their wishes will kill them on the inside, even if they don't off themselves.

But I'm a Cheerleader - Gay people are not icky. Again, think for yourself, and be yourself.

Guest Anonymous

Hairspray (the original)

Bedazzled (with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore)

Spaceballs

The Shawshank Redemption

Stand By Me

The Princess Bride

-The X-Men movies (except the shitty Wolverine one) because there are some seriously bad-fuckin-ass women in there.

-An Education (to show parents what a squicky relationship is, and why it is bad, so learn from it! also, I love this movie and relate a lot to Jenny)

-The Family Stone (this is what a REALl family with loads of kids looks like! Quirky, messy, and lots of fun)

eta to add, Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and 9 to 5 so they will know Dolly is also a fine actress.

I love you.

Unlikely Angel and Smokey Mountain Christmas are the Dolly movies I'd make them watch (simply because those are my favorite movies Dolly has been in, after BLW)

Forever Love (with Reba McEntire)

CONNIE AND CARLA!!!!!! It has Nia Vardalos and Toni Collette in it, and honestly? I'd love to watch their faces! That IS my favorite movie of all time, but the entertainment value of seeing their faces might be more fun than watching the movie itself.

Also, The Man In The Moon with Reese Witherspoon. I love that movie too. And since I'm on Reese, can I make them watch Walk The Line too?

I would force the Duggars and others in their "circle of friends" to watch TLC's show "The Little Couple".

Ok, I would have them watch: Psycho for a classic and to experience horror. I would also have them watch The Hunger Games when it comes out or they could read the books! I love for them to have an opinon of The Body. It really questions a lot of things and I like it. Da Vinci Code is so on the list. Pulp fiction for some scandal and Chinatown bc I love it. I think Love Actually would be perfect to teach them that all people love. I second, But I'm a Cheerleader. That movie made me realize a lot of things. Bridesmaids to show that it is okay for women not to be sweet and I would have them watch Superstar too! So many movies that the fundies need to be educated on!

Ok, I would have them watch: Psycho for a classic and to experience horror. I would also have them watch The Hunger Games when it comes out or they could read the books! I love for them to have an opinon of The Body. It really questions a lot of things and I like it. Da Vinci Code is so on the list. Pulp fiction for some scandal and Chinatown bc I love it. I think Love Actually would be perfect to teach them that all people love. I second, But I'm a Cheerleader. That movie made me realize a lot of things. Bridesmaids to show that it is okay for women not to be sweet and I would have them watch Superstar too! So many movies that the fundies need to be educated on!

My 3rd son walked around for months later after watching Super Star at his baby sitter's doing the arm pit thing while shouting Super Star. He was only 5 at the time and I had no clue what to tell his teacher as I never saw the movie until years later. Might want to save that one just for older kids.

I would force the Duggars and others in their "circle of friends" to watch TLC's show "The Little Couple".

I would also make them watch Sister Wives, LPBW reruns and Kate Plus 8.

Mary Poppins would definitely make a good stealth movie; anybody seen that Christian movie site where every.single.movie has something evil about it, except Mary Poppins? It hits all the right buttons to slip under the radar of the fearful, but it's about leaving the doors open for joy.

So much love for it. Claims of objective, scientific reviews, except the algorithms were made by one guy and he picks up on what's bad subjectively :roll:

capalert.com/

Archived