IGNORED

Movies you would force the Duggars and other fundies...

lilwriter85

to watch

here are my first picks

-Easy A(for the Duggar girls and other fundie teens and 20 somethings)

-Drop Dead Gorgeous

-Carrie

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd force them to watch the musical Spring Awakening. It's not a movie, but they so desperately need to see that not teaching kids about sex causes more problems than it solves.

Small Town Gay Bar

Little Pink Houses - if you've not seen it, it's a documentary about a gay couple in Arkansas who started the Conway Gay Pride Parade and have this FAB pink house across the street from a fundie church.

Brokeback Mountain

Red State

I'd force them to watch the musical Spring Awakening. It's not a movie, but they so desperately need to see that not teaching kids about sex causes more problems than it solves.

Agree with this one. There are some bootleg DVD's of SA maybe we should send some to the Duggars.

I'm not a fan of forcing someone to do something but I would encourage them to watch

the History Channel back when it was about history

Science shows like Bill Nye but other shows too

My big Gypsie wedding

Mulan!!!

Enchanted

I'm having a menopause moment, can't rememer any of my favorite movies other than Mulan. Greese 2, Far and away and Princess Bride are the only ones I can think of but nothing recent. Oh! Hocus Pocus and the Freighteners are my youngest son's suggestions. I think he is ready for Halloween. ;)

Dances With Wolves because it might change their views on the "savages".

The Friendly Persuasion to show them that religion can be tolerant.

The Inn of the Sixth Happiness to show them what true missionaries can do.

Seven Years in Tibet to give them an idea that Buddism is not of the devil.

Mona Lisa Smile.

One of my favorite movies ever. OT, but one year I asked for the DVD for Christmas. This was the same year we got a new DVD player. On Christmas Day I watched the movie in the old DVD player. Then, the next day or something, we hooked up the new one and my mom gave the old one away without bothering to check if there was a DVD still in it, so she gave away my Mona Lisa Smile DVD, too. I was so pissed about it that she bought me a new one.

I would make the Duggars watch all the Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, and National Treasure movies, plus Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, The Patriot, and The King's Speech. No particular reason. Those are just all my favorite movies. Oh, and Sweeney Todd.

Chances are, if I was forcing them to watch a movie, they'd be hanging out with me so I think I would choose A Clockwork Orange, Better Off Dead, 16 Candles and Stand by Me.

The only reason being that I love those movies, and they're usually the movies I force my friends to watch with me.

Any/all Harry Potter movies, because they just might have some fun watching all them witches, and that would freak them out. :lol:

The Cutting edge,Princess Bride,Grease...Brain fluff but all movies that should be watched with your BFFs or sisters while eating popcorn and doing nails.

I agree about all the Harry Potter movies.

Also, Pride and Prejudice (BBC '95), and Anne of Green Gables. I wonder if they approve of Anne...probably not, strong willed independent female and all that.

Edited to add: Twilight! I'd love to see the girl's reactions.

Harry Potter. I don't think they'd panic, really, and the movies stop making sense after Prisoner of Azkaban if you haven't read the books. But they would get some good stuff out of it, and all of the HP movies are pretty tame. Hardly any swearing, not a lot of gore, and I think that once they got past the OH CRAP WITCHES factor, they'd greatly approve of the Weasleys.

I'd love for them to see Saved!, which is about teen pregnancy and the church's refusal to actually do anything about it. And the Boondock Saints.

Carrie would definitely be a good one for them to see. Then again I'm a bit biased as Carrie is one of the few horror movies I can stand.

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. The movie itself is hilarious, and I'm sure Jimboob's reaction would be even more so.

I'm fresh out of movies to think of right now, but I may post more later.

I just remembered 2 more movies that were favorites from my childhood;

soylent green and andromeda strain from the early 70's. Hey, what can I say, I was an odd kid and I always wanted those green crackers. :shifty: Show them what the future really could look like if everyone bred as they did.

Oh. Planet of the apes, all of them, the Simbad movies for fun, and the original Clash of the Titans. The King and I, Oklahoma, the sound of music and my fair lady for those who like musicals.

eta to add, Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and 9 to 5 so they will know Dolly is also a fine actress.

I agree about all the Harry Potter movies.

Also, Pride and Prejudice (BBC '95), and Anne of Green Gables. I wonder if they approve of Anne...probably not, strong willed independent female and all that.

I remember seeing Anne of Green Gables on lots of fundie fb profiles. But I think it was more the VF gang than ATI.

I remember seeing Anne of Green Gables on lots of fundie fb profiles. But I think it was more the VF gang than ATI.

Ah okay. Well that's better than nothing. (I adore Anne of GG :))

The Matrix (the first one, over and over and over)

V for Vendetta

The Villiage

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Meg Tilly)

Robin Hood, Men in Tights (for comic relief)

The first STNG Borg episodes, and the one where he goes back to France to hang with his brother

STNG with the Cardassian version of 1984, with Picard as Winston Smith "I see four lights"

ST Insurrection

The Shadow (Alec Baldwin)

The comedic extra on LOTR, Fellowship, with Jack Black

The Life of Brian

Scotland, PA

ETA (how did I miss this one): Monty Python's Meaning of Life. They need to learn just why Martin Luther hung the 95 Thesis on the door at Wittenburg! Graham said it was so that he could walk into Harry's, any time he wanted, hold his head up high and say, "Harry, I'd like you to sell me a condom. And today, I think I'd like a French Tickler. Because I'm a Protestant!"

I was going to say 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', too, not as a snarky thing (I don't think they're emotionless drones :) even if I disagree with 'keep sweet'), but because it's a really good movie. But I'm referring to the 1978 one.

Definately the life of Brian.

And whenever I watch How I met your mother I want to force the fundies to watch it, because the whole concept of the show is sooo against that "giving away pieces of your heart"- BS

For the kids I would also recommend "The Land before Time" although it can be really sad, too. But my siblings and I loved it when we were kids.

Requiem for a Dream and Trainspotting, to see them freak out.

The Hours and Girl Interrupted, to teach them about mental health problems.

Archived