IGNORED

"This is how we feed animals."

MyNameIsJonas

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/ ... awoman.php

"An attendee at the Republican National Convention in Tampa on Tuesday allegedly threw nuts at a black camerawoman working for CNN and said “This is how we feed animals†before being removed from the convention, a network (CNN) official confirmed to TPM."

:angry-cussingblack:

ETA: the fact that this smiley is called "angry cussing black" just gave me a chuckle.

WOW. After watching the coverage, I noticed NO brown/yellow/black/purple/pleasantly tan from the sun people in the crowd - just happy white folks. The turn the Repubs have taken these last couple of years is both revolting and frightening.

Disgusting. What decade are we living in again? I'm even more horrified that people other than wealthy, white men will end up voting for Romney, too. The GOP has become something that's unrecognizable and I hope it's current form self destructs sooner rather than later, although with our two party system, I'm not sure if that's possible.

Different but related, "A Troubling Chant on the Convention Floor":

as a Puerto Rican party functionary—Zoraida Fonalledas, the chairwoman of the Committee on Permanent Organization—took her turn at the main-stage lectern. As she began speaking in her accented English, some in the crowd started shouting “U.S.A.! U.S.A.!â€

http://www.harpers.org/archive/2012/08/hbc-90008805

RNC, we see your true colors shining through (with apologies to Ms. Lauper) ...

I might be totally wrong, but the impression I got was not that the person throwing the nuts was not saying black people are animals, but that reporters are, but maybe I read it wrong. :)

I might be totally wrong, but the impression I got was not that the person throwing the nuts was not saying black people are animals, but that reporters are, but maybe I read it wrong. :)

And that would be okay, because dehumanizing journalists is totally cool? What am I not understanding here? Some people may not like my profession, am I supposed to be cool with having stuff thrown at me? :roll:

They are showing their true selves, aren't they?

Looking at the video for the second incident, I wish I could read lips better -- it looks like various people are yelling things other than "USA." I wonder how insulting they really got.

That's just as dumb. What exactly did they think the reporter was going to do? (Hint: The answer is in her job description.) The world knew about that as she was still brushing the dust from her blazer! And, good for whomever sent that first Tweet. I'm just sitting here, waiting for the gaffes! Just because it's the RNC - it's not a completely closed environment. If insults happen, we're all going to find out! How embarrassing - I feel so bad for her & her team.

They are showing their true selves, aren't they?

Looking at the video for the second incident, I wish I could read lips better -- it looks like various people are yelling things other than "USA." I wonder how insulting they really got.

I was thinking the same. It was obvious that many of them were not saying USA and by the look on the face of the guy trying to get them to calm down he seemed to understand that they were saying some pretty bad things. He kept saying to show her respect.

I was thinking the same. It was obvious that many of them were not saying USA and by the look on the face of the guy trying to get them to calm down he seemed to understand that they were saying some pretty bad things. He kept saying to show her respect.

Not to mention that it doesn't seem to occur to them that there is someone from Puerto Rico speaking at the convention because, to quote a lyric from West Side Story "nobody knows, in America, Puerto Rico's in America."

QBdOzX5Fpy8

According to this article: http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/cha ... tion-floor

the Ron Paul people were upset about the rules changes, and the USA chants were from Romney supporters trying to drown out the disruption.

According to this article: http://www.buzzfeed.com/zekejmiller/cha ... tion-floor

the Ron Paul people were upset about the rules changes, and the USA chants were from Romney supporters trying to drown out the disruption.

Thanks for posting that - the previous article did mention that as a possible cause of the fuss, but this one makes it more clear that some of the things being yelled may have had nothing to do with the speaker at the podium not being Yet Another White Dude.

I hope that's the case.

They were all still behaving like schmucks, though -- but I guess that's par for the course for a political convention.

Sorry for the threadjack, MyNameIsJonas!

Archived