IGNORED

Anna from Maidens of Worth Engaged

longskirts

If my DD said she was going to marry some guy she only met 7 times I'd have a serious talk with her. I think her sister would duct tape her to a chair until the insanity passed.

YES. No way would I approve of a marriage between people who knew each other so little!!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you imagine having your 19 year old daughter beg to stay at home and keep teaching "Praise Dance" rather than, you know, get an education and GET A JOB AND GROW THE FUCK UP?

Lemme tell you, if BabyBea1 and BabyBea2 were to come home with such a proposal, they could quit school all they wanted, but they sure the hell wouldn't be moving in with ME.

No kidding. If Babyfair came home with that idea, I'd sign her up for therapy.

Her friend Miriam who also was into the fundie thing (they used to wear matching dresses and the works) seems to have left it behind. She is still in college although an evangelical christian one dating and seems to be normal it seems as those years spent in college rounded her out.

I don't think I ever made it to 7 dates before sleeping with the dude. But marry one after 7 meetings? No freaking way!

Also, when did ambush-proposals become a thing? It's not just fundies who do that. Can you imagine being the recipient of one, where the guy has it all set up with accomplices there to photograph and/or videotape the whole thing, and you're not sure the answer is "yes"?

I used to waitress at one of the more irritating chain restaurants out there, the kind where all of the servers crowd around your table to sing happy birthday while merrily clapping.

One time we had a guy who asked us all to come to the table at a certain point in the meal, where he presented his girlfriend with a ring and proposed. She said no, can you imagine? I've never been more mortified in my life. We were supposed to clap and whoop and I have a vivid memory of all 30+ of us looking at other things and skulking off, and that was nearly 20 years ago. Never was a fan of public proposals but after that, ugh. Terrible.

I test drove quite a few before seven meetings, but I never deluded myself into thinking some sexy fun was with my best friend, nor did I consider hitching my wagon to them for a lifetime. It was just what it was, pleasure shared between two adults. Seeing all the heart break these recent broken courtships have brought I was ahead of the game just enjoying the carnals. I knew I didn't have to give away a piece of my heart.

The SO and I were talking marriage on our 3rd date, and we were engaged by our 7th. But we were both independent adults that had gotten to know each other long distance before actually getting together in person. It works for us, but I would never actually recommend it to anyone else. Too much potential for it to all go horribly wrong, IMO.

Courtships really freak me out. I just ... I adore my dad. But I'd never want him to pick a man for me. Just... No.

I don't follow Anna; tried to get through the engagement post, but, as it turns out, I really don't care.

I generally disagree with the restrictive and patriarchal system that has fundies marrying so quickly (and so young); however, within seven dates I knew that my hubs was the right guy. Of course, I was in my 30's and well and truly defrauded by then; plenty to compare him to. There was just a level of compatibility that was (is) there that I had never known before. We dated almost 2 years before getting married; but, I can honestly say, that if he had proposed after 4 months and 7 face to face meeting, I would have said yes. Less dramatically than Anna, of course.

I do like that she dances, a big no-no with many fundies. At least there is a little joy in her life.

Doesn't surprise me. I get the feeling these girls would jump into a marriage with a well spoken hobo on the same day if God and daddy told them to.

Was thinking of this same irony...Put that on a post card and mail it to them.

'Saving up your vagina' and then signing it off for life to a mere smiling aquantance is like being penny wise and pound foolish.

(edited because I f'ed up the quote coding. )

QFT. This is coming from someone who didn't do it before marriage (my own choice), but doesn't assume that is the best decision for everyone.

Her friend Miriam who also was into the fundie thing (they used to wear matching dresses and the works) seems to have left it behind. She is still in college although an evangelical christian one dating and seems to be normal it seems as those years spent in college rounded her out.

Yes, I got the impression Miriam was backing away from it a while and I think that's why they closed the site, there are photos of her in pants...though I don't know how fundie her family was to begin with or whether this was just this fantasy her and Anna dreamed for themselves...

Is she dating though, not courting? I couldn't tell from her facebook.

The wedding is January 26th. Target registry.

Thanks for the update, do you know them or did you just do some super stalking?

That's a long engagement fundie-wise, but others have said, not terribly long to have sex for many other people :roll: oh Anna you're so virtuous.

Nah, I just used my google skillz. :)

Maidens of Worth was one of my gateway fundies, so I feel invested in this deal for some ridiculous reason. Plus, Anna has wanted to get married pretty much forever, and the ripples of her whirlwind courtship/engagement are seen throughout the blogosphere.

Is the registry snarkworthy? I don't know jack about this blog, but fundies tend to have the most hilarious registries.

We should be so lucky, but there was nothing of Maxwell-Munck registry-fail proportions to report. I have a feeling Anna had probably been preparing her registry since she was 12 or so, and just had to hit "Submit" (heh), once her relationship with her future headship was formalized with the ring.

Hey! Nothing wrong with registering at Target! It may not be 'classy', but if you need basic housekeeping things, its a good place to register.

Hey! Nothing wrong with registering at Target! It may not be 'classy', but if you need basic housekeeping things, its a good place to register.

I would much rather see a sensible Target registry than the stupidity of the Maxwell registry with the nearly $300 teapot!

I would like to clarify that my mention of the Target registry was merely a statement of fact, lest it be misconstrued as elitism.

Maidens of Worth was one of my gateway fundies, via Ladies against Feminism if I recall correctly. It's good to hear she's finally married. She was in the vanguard of the fundies using their blogs as passive dating profiles, showing just how goddamn submissive they are. Which was funny considering how much she kicked against being made to go to college.

Anna was my gateway fundie, from which I found Anna T. I followed their blog from the start, and to be honest, I was sad when the shut it down. MOW was the first blog I read. From them I found Jasmine and tons of other people. It was a cornucopia of fundie dissonance.

That girl wanted to be married badly. I remember she was 16 and pining away for a husband and worrying she'd never find him. I was the same age and worried about my schoolwork and friends and what I wanted to do over summer vacation. I remember thanking God that I wasn't her. I'm honestly surprised she's only marrying now, but I wish her the best.

Anna was my gateway fundie too, I used to read the blog and occasionally pine over having such a simple life rather than university and work. But I knew every time I'd get bored of it.

She's definitely been planning out the registry for a while, lol, seeing as her entire life was preparation for marriage. At least she tried though. If you're going to be obsessed with being a homemaker at least have some skills. Anna can read and cook and sew a bit. Much more skilled than the Duggar girls, even though she purposely tries to dumb herself down. She's posted book reviews on kinesiology textbooks, can't imagine any of the Duggars managing to read at that level! But based on Anna's family she's probably quite bright underneath her crazy.

• 2 months later...
If my DD said she was going to marry some guy she only met 7 times I'd have a serious talk with her. I think her sister would duct tape her to a chair until the insanity passed.
''

THis was my parent's reaction when, after dating a guy for a year and a half, I met a new man at college on Sept 30 when I was 20 and was engaged by Thanksgiving. We married the following June and it will be 34 years this summer. This was so very much not a courtship, and my parents shock was enhanced because I (and they) had always assumed grad school before serious talk of marriage to anyone. They didn't use duct tape, but instead basically tag teamed me for the entire thanksgiving weekend about what a horrible mistake I was making....they were so very wrong. This girl should be so "lucky in love" as I've been.

I used to waitress at one of the more irritating chain restaurants out there, the kind where all of the servers crowd around your table to sing happy birthday while merrily clapping.

One time we had a guy who asked us all to come to the table at a certain point in the meal, where he presented his girlfriend with a ring and proposed. She said no, can you imagine? I've never been more mortified in my life. We were supposed to clap and whoop and I have a vivid memory of all 30+ of us looking at other things and skulking off, and that was nearly 20 years ago. Never was a fan of public proposals but after that, ugh. Terrible.

Oh that is AWFUL. So terribly awkward. Yikes.

That said, I can't imagine not holding hands with someone until you are engaged. She does seem happy though. Is her fiance just as fundie as she is?

I agree that is fast to from the NOT knowing each other to engaged to married in less then a year. I looked at her blog, I really wonder if she will miss teaching dance.

Archived