IGNORED

Anna from Maidens of Worth Engaged

longskirts

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose once you actually speak to a boy/girl and let those hormones flow, marriage can't come soon enough. Repress all your physical and emotional instincts long enough, when they're allowed to peek out even a tiny bit probably busts open the flood gates.

They'll lose their virginity by Thanksgiving, no doubt. In the marriage bed, of course.

7 meetings and whalla an engagement. :roll:

7 meetings and I wouldn't even be sleeping with the dude yet, much less engaged to him!

Of course, that's 45 year old me talking. The 20 year old me would disagree, but she's long gone apparently.

If my DD said she was going to marry some guy she only met 7 times I'd have a serious talk with her. I think her sister would duct tape her to a chair until the insanity passed.

I don't know if speaks more to the quality of her existing friendships or to the quality of her "romantic education" that she considers a guy she met less than six months ago and has seen only 7 times (and presumably, never spoken to unchaperoned) her best friend.

I don't know if speaks more to the quality of her existing friendships or to the quality of her "romantic education" that she considers a guy she met less than six months ago and has seen only 7 times (and presumably, never spoken to unchaperoned) her best friend.

The speed of these courtships accelerates every time we hear of a new one. These children are brainwashed into believing there is some invisible matchmaker in the sky who never fucks up. They don't even know the simple companionship of another human before they become best friends over supervised phone calls. This is all just so fucked up.

I'm guessing these people wouldn't see the irony that they are willing to have sex faster, and with someone they know far less well, than I, an evil feminist university-educated heretic, would ever be. But keeping ~guarding your hearts~ o guys and gals of fundiedom. Your system can't be flawed - just ask Zach Bates or Joseph Maxwell.

They become best friends and loves of their lives in an instant. Once the wedding plans start, the talk is all about true love.

These girls don't understand either because they've never experienced anything to compare.

A best friend and a love of your life are roles that people 'earn' by sharing, growing, living, learning...together. Standing by you, fighting and making up, knowing (and telling) secrets.

They are in love immediately with their best friends, who they've known all of four months, because they are told to.

I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here obviously....But this is by far the most romantic proposal I have seen yet from a fundie male. It looks like a lovely setting, he obviously put some time and thought into the setup, and it does not appear to have been witnessed and prayed over by 50 of his nearest and dearest. There also seems to be nary an Arby's in sight.

Most of these girls get the generic red rose ( a dozen if her father is important enough) and the quarter carat solitare followed by a chaperoned dinner at a chain restaurant. This looks to be several steps up.

7 meetings and I wouldn't even be sleeping with the dude yet, much less engaged to him!

Of course, that's 45 year old me talking. The 20 year old me would disagree, but she's long gone apparently.

I don't think I ever made it to 7 dates before sleeping with the dude. But marry one after 7 meetings? No freaking way!

Also, when did ambush-proposals become a thing? It's not just fundies who do that. Can you imagine being the recipient of one, where the guy has it all set up with accomplices there to photograph and/or videotape the whole thing, and you're not sure the answer is "yes"?

I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here obviously....But this is by far the most romantic proposal I have seen yet from a fundie male. It looks like a lovely setting, he obviously put some time and thought into the setup, and it does not appear to have been witnessed and prayed over by 50 of his nearest and dearest. There also seems to be nary an Arby's in sight.

Most of these girls get the generic red rose ( a dozen if her father is important enough) and the quarter carat solitare followed by a chaperoned dinner at a chain restaurant. This looks to be several steps up.

Definitely a step up from Gator Landing and the "half carrot." At least this Anna got to pick her own clothing and didn't have to play matchy-matchy with Mommy. And it sounds like she flew ALONE! Definitely from the Harris mold of teenagers, but at least she was allowed to dance (and also dress like Nellie Oleson...ick).

Am I the only one that finds the voyeuristic photos taken from the bushes really creepy? This is why proposals make me uncomfortable, they are soooo awkward. If anyone proposed to me while people were lurking in the bushes with cameras I'd hit them over with the chair.

Am I the only one by the creepy, voyeuristic photos taken from the bushes. This is why proposals make me so uncomfortable, they are soooo awkward. If anyone proposed to me while people were lurking in the bushes with cameras I'd hit them over with the chair.

And why don't other folks in these parks take note of the guys lurking in the bushes with cameras? Hell I'd be calling the cops if I saw shit like that down at our park.

And it sounds like she flew ALONE! Definitely from the Harris mold of teenagers, but at least she was allowed to dance

That's because Anna's parents, while fairly religious, are not as nutty as she is. They seemed frustrated with their daughter's adoption of extreme modesty and obsession with traditional gender roles. When Anna turned eighteen and begged to ''serve at home,'' her father put his foot down and forced her to attend college. She was VERY upset about it, and made her feelings clear on Maidens of Worth.

Speaking of upset, I was so upset when she and What's-Her-Face closed Maidens of Worth. I mean, really, has there ever been a better Dominionist blog title? Not in my opinion. The faux-humility, the smugness, the moral superiority... It had it all.

That's because Anna's parents, while fairly religious, are not as nutty as she is. They seemed frustrated with their daughter's adoption of extreme modesty and obsession with traditional gender roles. When Anna turned eighteen and begged to ''serve at home,'' her father put his foot down and forced her to attend college. She was VERY upset about it, and made her feelings clear on Maidens of Worth.

Speaking of upset, I was so upset when she and What's-Her-Face closed Maidens of Worth. I mean, really, has there ever been a better Dominionist blog title? Not in my opinion. The faux-humility, the smugness, the moral superiority... It had it all.

Yes! And, she dropped out of college after a year (or maybe less). Her parents had been African missionaries, I believe (or maybe the father grew up as the child of one) and were certainly very devout and conservative, but Anna took it to the extreme and I believe they were concerned by it. She was a huge proponent of the "Modesty Survey" (which was great, since that's how I discovered it ... its hilarity killed many a dull hour at my dead-end job that year).

I will agree that she seems on the lighter scale of fundie to me ... not quite fundie lite (skirts only, blah blah), but at least she wasn't super chaperoned during their courtship, and it seems they actually got together based on attraction, admiration, etc. as opposed to their parents' scheming. (I'm definitely digging - it's weird as crap, but not as bad as some, I suppose).

Yes! And, she dropped out of college after a year (or maybe less). Her parents had been African missionaries, I believe (or maybe the father grew up as the child of one) and were certainly very devout and conservative, but Anna took it to the extreme and I believe they were concerned by it. She was a huge proponent of the "Modesty Survey" (which was great, since that's how I discovered it ... its hilarity killed many a dull hour at my dead-end job that year).

I will agree that she seems on the lighter scale of fundie to me ... not quite fundie lite (skirts only, blah blah), but at least she wasn't super chaperoned during their courtship, and it seems they actually got together based on attraction, admiration, etc. as opposed to their parents' scheming. (I'm definitely digging - it's weird as crap, but not as bad as some, I suppose).

yes, I was very interested when I found our her parents WEREN'T leading the crazy as I assumed they were...I don't think they really care about the purity of her courtship as much as she does, which is quite amusing. And I can't get over the fact her sister is an engineer! She still works part-time as an engineer after having kids.

I remember the courtship post on here and could have sworn her facebook had some pics of her with the guy in 2011...but apparently not. I didn't realise it was so fast. It totally is faster than a lot of us ebil scular people would have sex in a relationship :roll:

Also if they were getting engaged privately in the woods who took the photos?

I don't think I ever made it to 7 dates before sleeping with the dude. But marry one after 7 meetings? No freaking way!

Also, when did ambush-proposals become a thing? It's not just fundies who do that. Can you imagine being the recipient of one, where the guy has it all set up with accomplices there to photograph and/or videotape the whole thing, and you're not sure the answer is "yes"?

Because they entered into the courtship with the intention of getting married, OBVIOUSLY the girl is going to say yes. If god wasn't leading her in that direction he would have informed the boy and he wouldn't have bothered proposing in the first place. Right? :roll:

7 visits? sickeningly fast. I wasn't even sharing a straw at that point. There is no way they have let their real selves show yet.

yes, I was very interested when I found our her parents WEREN'T leading the crazy as I assumed they were...I don't think they really care about the purity of her courtship as much as she does, which is quite amusing. And I can't get over the fact her sister is an engineer! She still works part-time as an engineer after having kids.

Anna wants to be a real fundie SO badly. (At least, she did when she was blogging at Maidens of Worth, and there's no reason to believe that's changed.) I can't think of anyone else who truly loves and pursues the trappings of fundieness like she does. Her parents certainly don't seem to push it on her--I mean, they required all of their children to go to college, and it seemed like Anna practically had to beg to be allowed to quit after her first year.

7 visits? sickeningly fast. I wasn't even sharing a straw at that point. There is no way they have let their real selves show yet.

I test drove quite a few before seven meetings, but I never deluded myself into thinking some sexy fun was with my best friend, nor did I consider hitching my wagon to them for a lifetime. It was just what it was, pleasure shared between two adults. Seeing all the heart break these recent broken courtships have brought I was ahead of the game just enjoying the carnals. I knew I didn't have to give away a piece of my heart.

Can you imagine having your 19 year old daughter beg to stay at home and keep teaching "Praise Dance" rather than, you know, get an education and GET A JOB AND GROW THE FUCK UP?

Lemme tell you, if BabyBea1 and BabyBea2 were to come home with such a proposal, they could quit school all they wanted, but they sure the hell wouldn't be moving in with ME.

I'm guessing these people wouldn't see the irony that they are willing to have sex faster, and with someone they know far less well, than I, an evil feminist university-educated heretic, would ever be.

Was thinking of this same irony...Put that on a post card and mail it to them.

'Saving up your vagina' and then signing it off for life to a mere smiling aquantance is like being penny wise and pound foolish.

(edited because I f'ed up the quote coding. )

• 2 months later...

She says in one blog post that "I'll be getting married in January and moving away!". Quite a longish engagement time in fundie standards. Maidens of worth was my very first American fundie blog I read. Through that I found e.g. the Dixons and Anna T.

Archived