IGNORED

Meet Hellena and Currawong

happy atheist

I hear people say this all the time, yet I have yet to meet somebody who wasn't allowed to have the birth that they wanted unless there were actual complications.

And anybody remember Elle......

Women are denied many things with regards to birth from simple heat packs for pain relief to their personal safety. Just as not all drs, nurses and midwives arent evil and trying to whisk women down to unneccessary surgery not all are sweet and there only to help you.

Oh and just because a woman says her birthing experience was not what she wanted or that something happened that was not her wishes does not mean that she would rather a dead baby. It simply means that things happened that were not right.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another post, and now she's making videos! I don't have the time to check it out, anyone want to make the sacrifice?

ETA: Okay, I couldn't resist. I couldn't quite hear her, but was she basically lambasting FreeJinger for criticizing her sex births? She seems just as rambly when she talks as when she writes.

Since it's only 3 and a half minutes long, I went ahead and watched it now. I think she comes across better in the video than she does in her writing. Sure she's a bit rambly, but she's coherent. And she's actually paying attention to the kids off screen, which you know Sparkly Lauren wouldn't be.

Whichever child it is who comes up beside her (Spiral Moon?), is beautiful.

Anyone know where the MacBook came from? Am I the only one hoping it breaks so that we don't have to deal with any more vlogs? :shock:

Another post, and now she's making videos! I don't have the time to check it out, anyone want to make the sacrifice?

ETA: Okay, I couldn't resist. I couldn't quite hear her, but was she basically lambasting FreeJinger for criticizing her sex births? She seems just as rambly when she talks as when she writes.

You may have to offer money to someone. Because I am not tempted.

AWESOME though on the quick recap. WHY does she not realise we love her?

Hellena love. You are very strange. I would be strange to you. That's fine. I think we are more mesmerised than horrified as are some by your Sparkling Lauren friend.

Your Crochet is just a bit TOOO Organicasnasmic for me.

One tiny bit of advice though. If you find our comments on your 'SEX' births offensive. Your blog is public. That's ok. But will your sexy birth kids feel the same when they are older?

Give them a wee bit of dignity huh?

She just seems a bit rambly but at least she was trying to make a coherent point. For a first effort at going to camera she did pretty well.

And the fact that the kids were roaming around and she was concerned about the crying baby -well good on her.

I don't agree with her lifestyle and I still think she's somewhat nuts but the little girl who wandered in looked fed and healthy and Hellena was concerned about the crying baby. So waaaaay better than Lauren then"

She just seems a bit rambly but at least she was trying to make a coherent point. For a first effort at going to camera she did pretty well.

And the fact that the kids were roaming around and she was concerned about the crying baby -well good on her.

I don't agree with her lifestyle and I still think she's somewhat nuts but the little girl who wandered in looked fed and healthy and Hellena was concerned about the crying baby. So waaaaay better than Lauren then"

She seems really likeable and not as pretentious in her vlog as she does in her writing. And her daughter is stunning.

Her accent is very broad though - that surprised me, I was expecting it to be different.

Are there regional accents in Australia? I suppose there must be, but I never thought about it before. FJ is always educational!

Ewes and does (goats) eat their placentas. Sometimes horses do, too. It is instinctual.

I could see mothers doing it in hard times, but I find it icky to do it just to be trendy.

As for Tom Cruise, he is just flat out foul on so many creepy levels!!

No babies on my end, but I love the idea of returning it to Mother Earth. Planting a tree sound lovely, especially an oak.

I was watching Monday Mornings, a new medical show, and someone said that eating your placenta is a way of averting Post Partum Depression.

Are there regional accents in Australia? I suppose there must be, but I never thought about it before. FJ is always educational!

There are regional accents to some extent, especially in rural areas, but accent is very much a class marker too.

That's why you'll hear people making fun of our current prime minister's broad accent.

There are regional accents to some extent, especially in rural areas, but accent is very much a class marker too.

Teeny tiny regional differences that most people can't pick up. No one would know which part of Australia I came from unless I pronounced a few certain words (Derby for example). Some people claim they can tell an accent from a city but...not so much. As as Lillian says-rural accents & sometimes class accents.

Also maybe a ethnic group marker? In many parts of Western Australia different indigenous tribes sound slightly different from each other & have a different sounding Australian accent to non-indigenous neighbours

My friend (a doctor I work with) sounds just like me though & she's indigenous so it just depends.

Haven't heard hellena speak yet-will let you know what I can 'tell' from her accent ;)

Can you identify American regional accents? Like, can you tell the difference between a Boston accent and a New York accent? Or a New England accent and a southern accent?

I've never noticed a difference in Australian accents, but then I'm not exposed to many. I can hear differences in British accents, but I'm not very good at telling where they're from.

For a while I was watching a ton of BBC programming, and I got very used to the accents, to the point where an American character showed up and I didn't notice the difference at first. :shock:

I can tell a New York accent from a southern accent from a mid west accent. But that's it. I could say 'Oh he's from Texas while she's from Alabama'

I have lived in California for over 30 years but at work at Social Services I used to get into trouble because clients thought that my New York city accent came off as a bit tough. Funny thing is that most people who meet me think that I have either a Boston or British accent because I don't sound like the Nanny. (Fran Dresler).

I can identify regional accents of people from the USA, Ireland, England, Scotland.

I've been told I don't have an Australian accent many times. But really its just that I don't have a broad accent & I did elocution lessons for awhile :oops:

She seems really nice and not crazy at all. I agree that her daughter is stunning.

There are differences in Aus accents but they are subtle. Eg pronunciation of the words "castle" and "dance" and "plant" can have an elongated "ah" sound like in "car" or a short "a" like in "man". And there is a difference in how states say the sounds in "pool" and "school".

In South Australia we quie often get accused of having English accents. NSW and Queenslad accents are broader. Rural accents broader still.

And for some reason people from Melbourne say "el" sounds like "al". As in "alaphant" for "elephant".

As for our Prime Minister, her accent is a total mystery given that she is Welsh by birth and raised by Welsh parents in South Australia. Her Strine twang is just odd.

There are differences in Aus accents but they are subtle. Eg pronunciation of the words "castle" and "dance" and "plant" can have an elongated "ah" sound like in "car" or a short "a" like in "man". And there is a difference in how states say the sounds in "pool" and "school".

In South Australia we quie often get accused of having English accents. NSW and Queenslad accents are broader. Rural accents broader still.

And for some reason people from Melbourne say "el" sounds like "al". As in "alaphant" for "elephant".

As for our Prime Minister, her accent is a total mystery given that she is Welsh by birth and raised by Welsh parents in South Australia. Her Strine twang is just odd.

'Negosiate' :lol:

Joolya was probably teased at school for her Welsh accent so she overcompensated with the strine.

She comes across as much more relatable in her vlog post than in some (most?) of her writings. I hope she continues with them, at least semi-regularly. And I thought it was interesting that she said the comments coming from the forum have made her think about her choices, why she does them, etc. It seemed thoughtful, rather than the usual fundie screems of omg, persecution! Maybe some day she will even start posting here? Who knows...

Completely true! I've lived in all 3 of these states. My children have a very strong accent from our home state but mine is a combination of all 3. My mother still has a bit of her Sydney accent so still gets asked if she's a Brit. (Well years ago when I still saw her anyway).

In my brief holiday to Adelaide I thought south aussies sounded more like New Zealanders. I can detect a Melbourne accent but I couldn't explain how, certainly not as well as you did.

I can recognise certain regional American accents. A Boston accent certainly stands out to me. I think most Australians can detect a southerner accent, however I didn't learn the difference between American and Canadian accents until I started playing ice hockey.

Most Americans don't recognize a Canadian accent unless someone says a stereotypical word like "soory" for "sorry."

Or "eh". ;)

Most Americans don't recognize a Canadian accent unless someone says a stereotypical word like "soory" for "sorry."

Or "eh". ;)

This! I only started being able to really pick out the Canadian accent when I started watching NHL games! :) "Soory I missed that shot, eh." LOL

She should stick to video blogging. She's way more coherent this way, and she'll be even better once she gets used to it. Her inability to write legibly or understand science gets on my nerves, as well as the time she wrote an essay that would have gotten a fail in any high school class and tried to pass it off as a groundbreaking university-level piece. But she doesn't grind my gears the way fundies who are actively trying to force their way of life on everyone else do. I'd been dying to know what her accent sounds like.

Or "eh". ;)

Not to mention most of us don't say any of those things!

Oddly enough, I can almost always tell when I'm talking to an American, no matter where they're from. The tone is just a bit sharper or something - I can't quite put my finger on it - even if they live five minutes from the Canadian border.

Archived