IGNORED

Meet Hellena and Currawong

happy atheist

" Because I already know what you’re saying. You’re saying things in a similar vein to the things I’ve been told all my life. From my family, my church friends, my school bullies and teachers, my employers, my lovers, and random strangers on the street and in venues"

When everyone around you, from many diverse groups, has been telling you the same thing your whole life, then maybe there is some truth to it.

We aren't viscous haters Hellenna. We mock, we laugh, we explore, but I've seen no hatred for you here.

And although you say you are thankful for our attention and that it has led you to positive places, you have given a lot of energy and blog space over to justifying yourself to us and yourself. A lot of energy convincing us all that we don't deserve your energy.

I'm not scared of being different. I've been different, and found my true home in middle class suburbia, to the amazement of those I grew up around and who knew me in my youth. And I don't feel the need to write rambling blogposts justifying it, or to take pleasure in throwing my differences and lifestyle in the faces of others like a weapon like you often seem to. I don't need to adopt a new uniform and a new label every few years, because I am content with myself, mundane as I may seem. I hope you find the happiness and peace that is obviously so important to you, that you are manically trying to convince everyone that you have found.

Also, if a revolutionary change to society does come, do you really imagine you would thrive? Revolutionary societies typically can't afford the social safety net, and have neither the funds or immediate need to support thinkers and artists. By the time those luxuries are affordable again society has returned to the bourgeois status quo that you profess to despise so much.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm, lilith, I like you, OK, so please, please, please don't hit me for being a pedant . . .

We aren't viscous haters Hellenna. We mock, we laugh, we explore, but I've seen no hatred for you here.

No, we aren't viscous haters. We're thoroughly un-sticky, not at all treacle-like, and completely non-adhesive. (Sometimes we're not even cohesive, let alone adhesive!) And we're not vicious either, OK?

:greetings-wavingyellow: Hi Hellena, why don't you register and stop by for a visit. I'd love to have a chat with you about how some of us hippies actually used contraception, worked in the real world with some balance to our lives. And most of all some of us have some questions about shagging after a birth while the second ween's cord is still hanging out of you. Hell I'll even roll ya one, you're a bit too irresponsible about your herpes for me to share a bowl or a joint with you. G'day.

My general response to her is not hate, but bafflement. I am, at my core, a practical person, so she confuses me. Not in a a "challenge your assumptions" way, but a "that makes no sense" way.

I don't hate her. I just sit here and marvel at how crazy her life seems to be and how much she seems to think of herself. She has great self-esteem! A tad on the self-absorbed side, though. :lol:

Ok, I've made a list of all of Hellena's posts that mention quantum mechanics. I've started reading her essay on Dualism, and all I can say so far is holy misuse of apostrophes, Batman. Wish me luck, guys. I can't believe I've decided to do this instead of my physics homework.

ETA Holy shit lady, if you're going to stick apostrophes everywhere at random, at least throw one in when you're actually using the possessive.

ETA NOW SHE'S MISUSING COMMAS, TOO. How did she submit this thing to a university prof?

She used her "personal intuition" as a source. I'm not even kidding.

ETA ...aaand I'm done reading the essay. I think she forgot to post the last two thirds of it. Not only is it the shortest essay I've ever read, but she never completely develops her, um, "thesis".

But of course she dropped out of uni because she realised that she was only doing it for outside validation and she already knew everything they were teaching.

And one of her professors couldn't understand her essay, so he passed it on to another professor, who said it was the deepest, most profound stuff he has ever read and Hellenna was a genius.

But of course she dropped out of uni because she realised that she was only doing it for outside validation and she already knew everything they were teaching.

And one of her professors couldn't understand her essay, so he passed it on to another professor, who said it was the deepest, most profound stuff he has ever read and Hellenna was a genius.

Can I go to whatever university she went to? 'Cause all the comments I get are on grammar, sentence structure, and how I can make them better. (Not that I don't want that, but it'd be fun to hear that I'm some sort of modern-day Buddha or something.)

I don't hate her. I just sit here and marvel at how crazy her life seems to be and how much she seems to think of herself. She has great self-esteem! A tad on the self-absorbed side, though. :lol:

ITA!

If children were not involved in all of this I would have no problem with her and find her entertaining.

Can I go to whatever university she went to? 'Cause all the comments I get are on grammar, sentence structure, and how I can make them better. (Not that I don't want that, but it'd be fun to hear that I'm some sort of modern-day Buddha or something.)

I don't think it matters what uni you go to, with enough psychedelic substances and self absorption, you too can have her magical results.

Hellena's beliefs on quantum physics seem to include three claims.

1. That quantum physics proves that our thoughts can create/influence/alter our reality. This is complete bullshit. Quantum physics does not prove anything of the sort. Misinformed people bastardizing their work is the pet peeve of a lot of physicists.

I've found that Quantum Physics has room for every belief, and helps me make sense out of just about everything.
Quantum physics is math. It has nothing to say on the vast majority of beliefs a person could possibly have. There's no way this woman has studied quantum mechanics at all if this is what she thinks of it.

3. Ok, I'm not actually sure what she was trying to say about quantum physics in her essay because it was vague as fuck and, while it had discernible main points, it never actually got around to explaining them all the way. However, she makes two big mistakes in her interpretation of quantum physics. First off, she treats the philosophical treatises of physicists as proof that quantum physics support whatever she was trying to say. That's like saying "Dr. X, an oncologist, says that Jesus can cure cancer. Therefore the science of oncology proves that Jesus cures cancer." Secondly, she takes quantum physicists' findings (and mere opinions) on on the behaviour of subatomic particles and assumes that matter must behave the same way on a macroscopic scale. These are the same mistakes that the people who came up with "The Law of Attraction" in the first place made. Not only do we know that the matter we interact with on a macroscopic level does not behave in the bizarre way that the subatomic particles studied by quantum physics do, but the insertion of the concepts of "thought" and "consciousness" in discussions about the behaviour of subatomic particles is unfounded speculation in itself. This second practice isn't a bad thing - physicists can incorporate their field of study in their religion, spirituality, or philosophy in any way they want. People just can't claim that quantum physics proves any of it.

I don't think it matters what uni you go to, with enough psychedelic substances and self absorption, you too can have her magical results.

If you want to be given high distinction by a Dean of Philosophy for a piece of crap essay, all you have to do is want it enough. Quantum physics says so.

Hellena dislikes the right-wing (which apparently includes us, now), but the particular brand of quantum mysticism she subscribes to strikes me (and Mr. Minerva who encountered it before I did) as right wing, or at least very appealing to the right. It essentially says that if you're not successful, it's because you didn't want it enough i.e. it's your fault.

But Hellena's concept of success is different and self serving. She considers herself successful because she has achieved a set of self created standards and her self chosen community reinforces that belief.

Hellena's beliefs on quantum physics seem to include three claims.

1. That quantum physics proves that our thoughts can create/influence/alter our reality. This is complete bullshit. Quantum physics does not prove anything of the sort. Misinformed people bastardizing their work is the pet peeve of a lot of physicists.

Quantum physics is math. It has nothing to say on the vast majority of beliefs a person could possibly have. There's no way this woman has studied quantum mechanics at all if this is what she thinks of it.

3. Ok, I'm not actually sure what she was trying to say about quantum physics in her essay because it was vague as fuck and, while it had discernible main points, it never actually got around to explaining them all the way. However, she makes two big mistakes in her interpretation of quantum physics. First off, she treats the philosophical treatises of physicists as proof that quantum physics support whatever she was trying to say. That's like saying "Dr. X, an oncologist, says that Jesus can cure cancer. Therefore the science of oncology proves that Jesus cures cancer." Secondly, she takes quantum physicists' findings (and mere opinions) on on the behaviour of subatomic particles and assumes that matter must behave the same way on a macroscopic scale. These are the same mistakes that the people who came up with "The Law of Attraction" in the first place made. Not only do we know that the matter we interact with on a macroscopic level does not behave in the bizarre way that the subatomic particles studied by quantum physics do, but the insertion of the concepts of "thought" and "consciousness" in discussions about the behaviour of subatomic particles is unfounded speculation in itself. This second practice isn't a bad thing - physicists can incorporate their field of study in their religion, spirituality, or philosophy in any way they want. People just can't claim that quantum physics proves any of it.

Way to take one for the team, Minerva. I much prefer the Cliff Notes version :lol:

The thing that pisses me off about Hellena is her arrogance.

The world is full of humble, hard -working people. They clean hospital floors, and foster abused children. They put their lives on the line fighting fires, and pick up shit on our streets. They faithfully spend boring days at checkouts, or work at a production line, or milk cows twice a day no matter what the weather.

They don't have rainbow coloured lives, or think they're wondeful and full of deep thoughts, or emote about how incredibly loving and giving they are. They just love, and give. Yes, they are often afraid, and sometimes they are ignorant and sometimes, they are not even very pleasant people. But they do love, and they do give, just by their simple fidelity to the tasks that they have been thrown. They may despair about being good enough parents, but they keep on parenting. They may hate what they do, but they keep on doing it to keep life in their bodies, and the bodies of their children. They may not think deeply about politics or society, but they do keep society operating.

And their bloody taxes pay for Hellena to despise them with her convoluted, pretentious rhetoric and her self-congratulatory freeloading.

The thing that pisses me off about Hellena is her arrogance.

The world is full of humble, hard -working people. They clean hospital floors, and foster abused children. They put their lives on the line fighting fires, and pick up shit on our streets. They faithfully spend boring days at checkouts, or work at a production line, or milk cows twice a day no matter what the weather.

They don't have rainbow coloured lives, or think they're wondeful and full of deep thoughts, or emote about how incredibly loving and giving they are. They just love, and give. Yes, they are often afraid, and sometimes they are ignorant and sometimes, they are not even very pleasant people. But they do love, and they do give, just by their simple fidelity to the tasks that they have been thrown. They may despair about being good enough parents, but they keep on parenting. They may hate what they do, but they keep on doing it to keep life in their bodies, and the bodies of their children. They may not think deeply about politics or society, but they do keep society operating.

And their bloody taxes pay for Hellena to despise them with her convoluted, pretentious rhetoric and her self-congratulatory freeloading.

^^^THIS

A friend of my FH's used to date an "anarchist" who was "on the dole" in GB. She railed against lemmings like myself who support corrupt society by working for a living. Yet, she couldn't do without the tax payer funded check she received every month. LIKE WTF?! And she didn't seem to mind also mooching off of her then boyfriend who worked freelance for corporations. Its very easy to have these high minded ideals when one doesn't actually have to work 40 hours a week, or more, in order to pay for one's basic needs. (sometimes I wonder if I'm as bleeding heart a liberal as I once was).

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's been mentioned in this thread that Hellena wrote a "book" called Balthazar and Nimue. When I popped in at her blog today to see if she's updated (sadly, no) I noticed a link where she is giving her book away for free! All you have to do is email her and she'll send you a pdf. And if you like it, you can give her a donation!

Anyway, she says that someone named Star read it and gave her this review:

Balthazar and Nimue sits in me, a sperly pause just after a vibrant exhalation, the knocking of ovaries after orgasm… I dared for days not to breath back in… as the black hole of my mind expanded into your story… unintentionally It brought up my dark hidden stuff and I have enjoyed greater clarity ever since.

At the Feast this story stands naked and raw and sometimes bleeding a real person or two; who in the opening and clearing and adventures of their life evolve into themselves. The truth of this human experience, clearly concludes on the heart however hammered… This BIG heart is something sadly most people haven’t found within themselves these days. You liberate yourself with your honesty and therefore help us all to truly see clearly.

This miracle book has forever changed me and that is true- It is a story that has some strange magic formula the dancing mosaic of myth, insight, innuendo, hard straight up reality, so much love… a poignant evocation of a mind I would unhesitatingly call genius.

My question: Is Star actually Hellena, is Star mocking Hellena, or is Star just as crazy as Hellena?

The knocking of ovaries after orgasm? Really?

And I dare you guys to request copies of this opus. I fear I would die of writerly envy if I tackled it myself.

I think it's been mentioned in this thread that Hellena wrote a "book" called Balthazar and Nimue. When I popped in at her blog today to see if she's updated (sadly, no) I noticed a link where she is giving her book away for free! All you have to do is email her and she'll send you a pdf. And if you like it, you can give her a donation!

Anyway, she says that someone named Star read it and gave her this review:

My question: Is Star actually Hellena, is Star mocking Hellena, or is Star just as crazy as Hellena?

The knocking of ovaries after orgasm? Really?

And I dare you guys to request copies of this opus. I fear I would die of writerly envy if I tackled it myself.

I might suggest it for the FJ bookclub.....

Sadly, I suspect the review is by an actual other person, who happens to be as pretentious and wordy and dramatic as Hellena herself....

Not one that I'm familiar with. But then I am part of consensus reality, so what do I know?

I googled. I don't think that is a real word. At least in my reality.

Archived